The Dream-Hunter by Sherrilyn Kenyon

This book needs a trigger warning for date rape. I was uncomfortable the entire time I read it. Do yourself a favor and skip to Chapter 20 for a peek into Ash's recent past with Nick. ( )
  larissaleescribbles | Aug 5, 2017 |
The Dream Hunter
3 Stars

The Atlantis plot premise has potential and the additions to the overall Dark Hunter world building are interesting but the romance is borderline idiotic.

Arik and Geary's relationship is completely inexplicable. Geary goes from overtly skeptical and suspicious of Arik to jumping his bones in less than a chapter and Arik goes from unfeeling and self-centered jerk to infatuated and self-sacrificing hero in the time it takes to fall off Mount Olympus.

The pacing is also off - the first 2/3 are slow and tedious but the last 1/3 picks up and manages to save the book from being a complete dud - the resolution to Arik and Geary's dilemma is inventive and I can only lament the fact that their romance is not worthy of it.

The secondary characters are the real highlight of the book from the various Greek Gods (Kenyon shows real insight into their egotistical, capricious and selfish natures) to Geary's quirky/nerdy cousin and Arik snarky "brother", not to mention the enigmatic ZT and Kat who is even more mysterious than before.

Ultimately, the book is worth reading for the tie ins to the Dark Hunter series, which fill in some gaps and add new details. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
The beginning had me rolling my eyes at the bad motivation Ms. Kenyon gave her heroine. I expected to not really like the book, but the further I came, the more I liked it. It turned out to be a very decent read. I started out fully determined to stop with the series, but I have decided to continue. The mythology is a bit much sometimes with all the different gods and demi-gods and what have you, but it's compelling reading as well. ( )
  Vonini | Jun 29, 2016 |
I'm not as interested in the dream hunters in the series... I much prefer the dark hunters and were-hunters. And I think this book should be read earlier in the series because Nick Gautier is only 18 and the events precede a lot of what has already happened. But all-in-all, the book kept my interest enough for me to finish it. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Not as good as the Dark Hunter series. I really struggled with it for the first 100 pages, it was slow. The greek mythology was interesting but it lost me with some of the unknown greek words that were not translated. There was a small tie to the Dark Hunter series, but not enough. It had a few laugh out loud parts but I never really feel in love with the story. I love the Atlantis story line but this one was not a favorite. I will continue on with this series fro at least one more book, only because of the tie to the Dark Hunters
Best line:
"Morornia, Every full moon, they teleport the Morons to earth and let them lose. Consider this your first encounter" ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
SANTORINI, GREECE, 1990

Completely motionless, Megeara Saatsakis stood on the edge of a cliff looking out on waters so perfectly blue they were almost painful to behold.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312938810, Mass Market Paperback)

In the ethereal world of dreams, there are champions who fight to protect the dreamer and there are demons who prey on them...

Arik is such a predator. Condemned by the gods to live eternity without emotions, Arik can only feel when he's in the dreams of others. For thousands of years, he's drifted through the human unconscious, searching for sensation. Now he's finally found a dreamer whose vivid mind can fill his emptiness.

Dr. Megeara Kafieri watched her father ruin himself and his reputation as he searched to prove Atlantis was real. Her deathbed promise to him to salvage his reputation has now brought her to Greece where she intends to prove once and for all that the fabled island is right where her father said it was. But frustration and bad luck dog her every step. Especially the day they find a stranger floating in the sea. His is a face she's seen many times.... in her dreams.

What she doesn't know is that Arik holds more than the ancient secrets that can help her find the mythical isle of Atlantis. He has made a pact with the god Hades: In exchange for two weeks as a mortal man, he must return to Olympus with a human soul. Megeara's soul.

With a secret society out to ruin her expedition, and mysterious accidents that keep threatening her life, Megeara refuses to quit. She knows she's getting closer to Atlantis and as she does, she stumbles onto the truth of what Arik really is.

For Arik his quest is no longer simple. No human can know of a Dream-Hunter's existence. His dream of being mortal has quickly turned into his own nightmare and the only way to save himself will be to sacrifice the very thing he wanted to be human for. The only question is, will he?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:23 -0400)

Arikos, an Dream-Hunter condemned by the gods to live forever without emotions and who can only experience feelings through the dreams of others, is given the chance to live two weeks as a mortal man, in exchange for acquiring a human soul, Dr. Megeara Kafieri, a woman determined to salvage her late father's reputation by finding the fabled island of Atlantis.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,924,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible