No Wonder They Call Him the Savior:…

No Wonder They Call Him the Savior: Experiencing the Truth of the Cross… (original 1986; edition 2009)

by Max Lucado

Member:TammyPhillips
Title:No Wonder They Call Him the Savior: Experiencing the Truth of the Cross (The Bestseller Collection)
Authors:Max Lucado
Info:Thomas Nelson (2009), Hardcover, 224 pages

No Wonder They Call Him the Savior by Max Lucado (1986)

Max Lucado was asked by an acquaintance in a coffee house about his faith. "What is it that matters?" the man asked. "Skip the periphery. Go to the essence. Tell me the part that matters." Years later, the answer had solidified for Lucado. The cross of Calvary. That's the essence. "If the account of the cross is true, it's history's hinge. ... If not, it's history's hoax."

This book, then, is a search for the meaning of the cross. Special attention is given to the little details of the Golgotha scene. The words spoken from the cross, the thieves on either side, the graying mother at Christ's feet. No wonder they call him Savior.

Next, the scene shifts from Jesus to the witnesses. All those who played a part, big or small. Finally, the resurrection.

The book is flavored throughout with a number of personal stories. It’s highly inspirational, meant for spiritual encouragement. I confess I didn't read the whole thing; when it shifted gears into a study guide 2/3 of the way through, I shut down. Lucado is also a conservative believer, and the assumptions about the Bible’s historical accuracy and Jesus' divinity began to weary me. He writes as a friendly minister who assumes we share his traditional Christian outlook. I can't do that, and if the only way to appreciate the story of Jesus is to turn the whole thing into a supernatural religion, then I'm left in the cold.

Three stars from me, but for another person at another stage in their life, I'm sure Lucado's uplifting writing style will hit the mark. ( )
1 vote DubiousDisciple | Oct 22, 2011 |
Max Lucado follows Jesus' journey to the cross for us, and shows us His amazing humanity and divinity combined. No wonder they call Him the Saviour! This book was really good for me - it challenged me to go back to my basic beliefs and recognise how awesome God is. ( )
2 vote Amzzz | Nov 2, 2007 |
Examines the hour of Jesus' crucifixtion.
  gnbclibrary | Oct 4, 2007 |
One of the best books on the life/death of Jesus that I've ever read! ( )
  coffeesucker | Jan 16, 2007 |
This book changed my life. Never before have I read a book that put me in touch on such a personal emotional level with Christ as Max Lucado does with complete ease here. When I finished this book I gave it to a prisoner who read it and passed it on. the book was without a cover and falling apart when they requested another. It changed MANY lives. It could change yours.
2 vote valentipoetry | Dec 7, 2006 |

Its tragedy summons all sufferers. Its hope lures all searchers. No one can ignore the cross. In this compelling quest for the Messiah, Lucado invites readers to meet the blue-collar Jew whose claim altered a world and whose promise has never been equaled. No Wonder They Call Him the Savior! "Do you know Him?" Lucado asks his readers. Really know Him? They will when Lucado brings them full circle to the foot of the cross-even if they've been there before. Because now they can see how it all comes down to this one place. To this one death. To this one Life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

It all comes down to one thing: The Cross! You have seen it. You have worn it. Maybe you have even prayed to it. But do you know it?

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,086,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible