Word Magic for Writers by Cindy Rogers

Word Magic for Writers

by Cindy Rogers

202515,329 (4.5)None

This book is a must-get for any writer serious about improving his/her craft. I knew some of the subjects, of course, such as metaphors, and similes, though this book explains how to make sure the comparisons you choose work. But I learned so many others, plus some of the things I do naturally, such as asyndeton and polysyndeton, which I didn't know were writing devices with actual names, were explained. That was a boon because I've been marked down in writing contests for some of these devices because the (evidently inexperienced) writer doing the judging thought they were grammatically incorrect. Now I know they are actually tools of good writing. My only negative comment is that the book isn't produced very well, i.e., binding is cracking and I fear pages will eventually fall out (purchased in the spring of 2010; production could have changed since then). Well worth it anyway. ( )
  stephiesmith | Apr 10, 2011 |
This book focuses on style--using a bit of allusion, or hyperbole, or perhaps changing sentence styles and types to improve the worth of your words. I've adapted several of the sections for teaching my own high school writers. ( )
  ChuckB | Dec 4, 2006 |

A fascinating book that clearly shows you how to boost the success potential of your writing project, whether an article, speech, story, book, play, or advertising, by elevating and energizing - charging up - the language in which it is written. From this one source, you'll discover how to craft beginnings that hook the reader, middles that compel him or her to stay on the hook, dialogue and descriptions that sizzle and enchant, and endings that leave the reader eager to read more of your work.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,927,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible