The Last Days of Dead Celebrities by…

The Last Days of Dead Celebrities (2006)

by Mitchell Fink

A quick, easy read divided into chapters regarding specific celebrities and their last days on earth. While the title sounds maudlin, the book was actually well written and not gossipy. Including people such as John Lennon, John Denver, Lucille Ball and John Ritter, the author not only includes details of their passing, but also of positive things regarding the life of the celebrity.

Found on the sale table at Barnes and Noble at a great price, while I cannot highly recommend this book, I can say that I was looking for something that was not challenging or thought provoking and this fit those requirements.
  Whisper1 | Sep 14, 2009 |
Don't know what I was thinking when I picked up this book. It wasn't bad per say but not something I would normally read. It does tell you about the last days of some celebrities and how they felt and what they did. Nothing really morbid, just pretty much a day in the life of , , , ( )
  littleflwers | Jun 3, 2009 |
Really good book of its kind. Chapters are coherent, well-written, empathetic. A true effort is made to examine theories, differing accounts. Celebrities cover a wide range of genres, from Milton Berle to Tupac Shakur, from John Lennon to John Denver, from Lucille Ball to John Ritter. ( )
  MerryMary | May 20, 2009 |
This book had some interesting things to say about many well-known stars, sports figures, etc. I wouldn't call it the best book I have ever read; however not the worst either. ( )
2 vote Nancy-Jean | Nov 3, 2007 |
For Lois, Jesse, Brian, Miriam, Larry, Richard and Joan.
Celebrities are our constant companions.

A celebrity is always in the spotlight-even in death. Our cultural obsession with the famous verges on the macabre, intensified by a vast array of media outlets devoted to closely monitoring a star's every move, right up until the end. Former NY Daily News gossip columnist, Mitchell Fink has spent his career reporting on celebrities' lives. Now, he reports on their deaths.

Working with an extraordinary level of access-and the cooperation of the stars' families and friends-Fink has unearthed exclusive and moving material, portraying her the broad range of emotions these very sympathetic icons experienced. He talked to Yoko Ono about the optimism of John Lennon's final week; Dan Akroyd about the frenzy of John Belushi's debauched ending; David Bloom's NBC colleagues about the acceptance, even peace, he found in the chaos of war in the desert. Describing John Ritter's last few days on the set of his hit television show, Fink focuses on the camaraderie and warmth that Ritter created-as remembered by pals Henry Winkler and Peter Bogdanovich, who happened to be guest stars that week. Fink's tender profile of Warren Zevon chronciles the bittersweet year during which the musician faced his mortality in his iconoclastic fashion, embracing a sex-drugs & rock-n-roll attitude, before greeting his death completely on his own terms.

These are just a few of the fifteen larger-than-life celebrities whose final days are detailed here.

Former New York Daily News gossip columnist Fink made his livelihood reporting on celebrities' lives. Now, he reports on their deaths. John Lennon, Ted Williams, Lucille Ball, John Ritter, Warren Zevon: these are just a few of the fifteen larger-than-life celebrities whose final days are detailed here. Working with the cooperation of the stars' families and friends, all on the record, he has unearthed exclusive and moving material. He portrays here the broad range of emotions these very sympathetic icons experienced. Fink answers our cultural obsession with celebrities literally, telling of his subjects' physical, emotional, and spiritual journeys to the end of life. He talked to Yoko Ono about the optimism of John Lennon's final week; Dan Aykroyd and Judy Belushi about the frenzy of John Belushi's debauched ending; David Bloom's colleagues about the acceptance, even peace, he found in the chaos of desert war.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,758,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible