Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High…

Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know

by Mignon Fogarty

This review first appeared on my blog:

In the intro, the author states:

Use them in your college entrance essays or during job interviews to show that you're well-read and well-spoken. Even if you're past those stages in life, you'll regularly see most of these words in the news.

Middle Bebe Girl Jasmine is a reader - BUT quite often, she interrupts her reading while I'm here to ask, "Mom, what does ____ mean?", and then I'm left to explain it to her, after asking her to give me the word in context.

THIS little book is so handy - I think we all could improve our vocabulary immensely by reading up on one word a day, and then using it a few times during the day to make it stick in our minds. This is NOT a thesaurus, but a great vocabulary builder, and I definitely recommend it!

EXAMPLE:

Laconic

From the Greek Lakon, the name of a region near ancient Sparta. Laconians were known for their terse speech. The most famous example is the Laconian reply to Philip of Maceon's threat "If I enter Laconia, I will raze Sparta to the ground." Their ruler simply responded, "If."

In English, laconic is still used to describe someone of few words. It sometimes carries a negative connotation.

You can get far in North America with
laconic grunts. "Huh," "hun", and "hi!"
in their various modulations, together
with "sure," "guess so," "that so?" and
"nuts!" will meet almost any contingency.

-For Your Eyes Only by Ian Fleming,
Scottish writer

BOOK RATING: 5 out of 5 stars ( )
  jewelknits | Oct 16, 2011 |

Millions of people around the world communicate better thanks to Mignon Fogarty, aka Grammar Girl, whose top-rated weekly grammar podcast has been downloaded more than 30 million times. Now she's turning her attention to improving our vocabulary—one word at a time—with Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know.

Not sure whether your post-high school vocabulary is up to snuff? This handy reference guide is a great starting point for ensuring you know the words that will help you impress your college professors, hold your own among your peers, write killer papers, and simply sound articulate—a skill that will benefit you for years to come.

Full of clear, straightforward definitions and fun quotations from luminaries such as J.D. Salinger and Susan B. Anthony, to characters such as Marge and Homer Simpson, this highly-useable guidebook gives you the confidence to succeed and sets you up for a lifetime of success.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:14 -0400)

Explains the origins and meanings of terms that commonly appear in writing but rarely in conversation but that should be familiar to educated people, including such expressions as "archetype," "fungible," "quixotic," and "visage."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,329,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible