Death Without Company: A Walt Longmire…

Death Without Company: A Walt Longmire Mystery (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Craig Johnson

Member:herschelian
Title:Death Without Company: A Walt Longmire Mystery
Authors:Craig Johnson
Info:Penguin Books (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, BJ
Tags:crime fiction, Walt Longmire series, Wyoming, Western crime, Native Americans

Death Without Company by Craig Johnson (2006)

Entertaining continuation of the series. Not exactly believable, but then that's hardly the point.

An old lady dying in a nursing home is hardly a remarkable event, and wouldn't normally have come to Walt's attention, even in this small town, other than his retired sheriff raised a ruckus asking for an autopsy. It turns out she was briefly his wife and he had suspicions (exactly what was never stated) about her death. The lady had various children all of whom turn up to hear her Will - Somehow Walt had missed that a massive methane extraction was happening in the region, and the family stood to profit extensively from it. Nearly all the women seem magnetically attracted to Walt, which remains very odd.

Walt eventually tracks down the suspect, through some routine police work, which is good to see. It leads him out into a blizzard again, and you'd have though he'd have learnt better from his previous escapade only a few weeks ago. Doesn't america have summer? There is some but limited Native Indian involvement, and so probably easier for non-USians to follow this time.

Enjoyable. ( )
  reading_fox | Apr 21, 2017 |
I read the first in this series about 7 months ago. I read hundreds of books a year and shuffle authors quite a bit. Suddenly, and seemingly out of nowhere, I thought about Walt Longmire and decided I wanted to hang out with him again. I enjoyed the second novel even more, brcause this town feels like home and the characters feel like old friends. I am happy to see two new deputies on Longmire's team and I have a good feeling about the tiny spark between Walt and Vic. Will begin number three today. ( )
  briellenadyne | Jan 20, 2017 |
I'm really enjoying this series. For the second time, the author has proven his plot to be unpredictable. Walt is thrown into an investigation that reaches back fifty years after a woman dies in the local assisted living center under suspicious circumstances. Lucian's past is interwoven with this case and we get a glimpse into a part of his life that he's kept secret all this time. As Walt investigates, things become more and more complex and he realizes that enforcing the law during Lucian's term was not as complex as it is now. In the end, he's faced with a hard choice. As usual, the writing was engaging, the plot clearly thought out, and the flow of the investigation kept me guessing right to the end. It was also nice to see Cady in the picture and get a feel for her relationship with Walt. Moving on to book three soon! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
This is the second installment in the Longmire series. It was good, without any big twists, more of a straightforward mystery. We get more backstory on Lucian Connelly, Walt hires a new deputy, and we see more of Walt and Henry's relationship. There's a bit of mysticism, but not as much.

The story is about a Basque woman in a nursing home whose death turns out to be homicide, and who was married very briefly to Lucian. Finding out what happened means delving into the past and finding lots of connections with people in the present. I liked the integration of Basque settlers in Wyoming (and the west more generally), and Lucian's subplot was pretty good.

I'm developing a love-hate with Johnson's series. Walt feels a bit too much like wish-fulfillment. All the interesting women are attracted to him (if they're not then they're usually not people we'd like), he gets shot, beat up, etc. and recovers at TV-show speed, and he's just a bit too good to be true. I'm starting to appreciate TV Walt more because he (and Henry) feel more Everyman to me. Henry here is almost as superhuman as Walt. And the writing isn't quite under control. Sometimes it's strong, other times the lyricism veers dangerously close to overwrought.

Still, I'm sure I'll go on to the next one at some point. I sound unenthusiastic, don't I? It's more that I'm conflicted. They're not meh books, they're more like good/annoying/good/annoying. ( )
  Sunita_p | Mar 6, 2016 |
I liked this second book in the series almost as much as the first. Really excellent characters. What I like most is the descriptive and poetic nature of how Mr. Johnson uses words. Very nice. ( )
  bicyclewriter | Jan 8, 2016 |

Craig Johnsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aslanides, SophieTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porras Sánchez, MaríaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Adiskidegabeko bizita, auzogabeko heriotza.

(A life without friends means death without company.)

- Basque proverb
For Dorothy Caldwell Kisling (1930-2005)
for whom I still look when I laugh
"They used fire, back in the day."

Walt investigates a death by poison in this gripping novel from the New York Times bestselling author of The Cold Dish and As the Crow Flies, the second in the Walt Longmire Mystery Series, the basis for LONGMIRE, the hit A&E original drama series

Fans of Ace Atkins, Nevada Barr and Robert B. Parker will love Craig Johnson, New York Times bestselling author of Hell Is Empty and As the Crow Flies, who garnered both praise and an enthusiastic readership with his acclaimed debut novel featuring Sheriff Walt Longmire, The Cold Dish, the first in the Walt Longmire mystery series, the basis for LONGMIRE, the hit A&E original drama series. Now Johnson takes us back to the rugged landscape of Absaroka County, Wyoming, for Death Without Company. When Mari Baroja is found poisoned at the Durant Home for Assisted Living, Sheriff Longmire is drawn into an investigation that reaches fifty years into the mysterious woman’s dramatic Basque past. Aided by his friend Henry Standing Bear, Deputy Victoria Moretti, and newcomer Santiago Saizarbitoria, Sheriff Longmire must connect the specter of the past to the present to find the killer among them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:42 -0400)

"When Mari Baroja is found poisoned at the Durant Home for Assisted Living, Sheriff Longmire is drawn into an investigation of her death that proves to be as dramatic as her life. Her connections to the Basque community, the lucrative coal-bed methane industry, and the personal life of the previous sheriff, Lucian Connally, lead to a complex web of half-truths and assumed allegiances. As the specter of Mari's abusive husband arises, Sheriff Longmire, aided by his friend Henry Standing Bear, Deputy Victoria Moretti, and newcomer Santiago Saizarbitoria, must connect the past to the present to find the killer among them."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,048,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible