Death Without Company: A Walt Longmire…

Death Without Company: A Walt Longmire Mystery (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Craig Johnson

5653817,607 (4)134
Member:herschelian
Title:Death Without Company: A Walt Longmire Mystery
Authors:Craig Johnson
Info:Penguin Books (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, BJ
Tags:crime fiction, Walt Longmire series, Wyoming, Western crime, Native Americans

Death Without Company by Craig Johnson (2006)

I'm really enjoying this series. For the second time, the author has proven his plot to be unpredictable. Walt is thrown into an investigation that reaches back fifty years after a woman dies in the local assisted living center under suspicious circumstances. Lucian's past is interwoven with this case and we get a glimpse into a part of his life that he's kept secret all this time. As Walt investigates, things become more and more complex and he realizes that enforcing the law during Lucian's term was not as complex as it is now. In the end, he's faced with a hard choice. As usual, the writing was engaging, the plot clearly thought out, and the flow of the investigation kept me guessing right to the end. It was also nice to see Cady in the picture and get a feel for her relationship with Walt. Moving on to book three soon! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
This is the second installment in the Longmire series. It was good, without any big twists, more of a straightforward mystery. We get more backstory on Lucian Connelly, Walt hires a new deputy, and we see more of Walt and Henry's relationship. There's a bit of mysticism, but not as much.

The story is about a Basque woman in a nursing home whose death turns out to be homicide, and who was married very briefly to Lucian. Finding out what happened means delving into the past and finding lots of connections with people in the present. I liked the integration of Basque settlers in Wyoming (and the west more generally), and Lucian's subplot was pretty good.

I'm developing a love-hate with Johnson's series. Walt feels a bit too much like wish-fulfillment. All the interesting women are attracted to him (if they're not then they're usually not people we'd like), he gets shot, beat up, etc. and recovers at TV-show speed, and he's just a bit too good to be true. I'm starting to appreciate TV Walt more because he (and Henry) feel more Everyman to me. Henry here is almost as superhuman as Walt. And the writing isn't quite under control. Sometimes it's strong, other times the lyricism veers dangerously close to overwrought.

Still, I'm sure I'll go on to the next one at some point. I sound unenthusiastic, don't I? It's more that I'm conflicted. They're not meh books, they're more like good/annoying/good/annoying. ( )
  Sunita_p | Mar 6, 2016 |
I liked this second book in the series almost as much as the first. Really excellent characters. What I like most is the descriptive and poetic nature of how Mr. Johnson uses words. Very nice. ( )
  bicyclewriter | Jan 8, 2016 |
I have been dabbling in this Mystery Series, and this Walt Longmire set of episodes has been a source of entertainment and startling revelation. I did not know when starting off that Sheriff Longmire's ability to track a perpetrator through clues that were submerged very deeply within the entire community's long historical crime patterns within certain families could actually build a structural framework to grant predictive ability for the rampaging criminal's next acts. It makes perfect sense that this deep consideration, and the dreams, become the fulcrum for stopping this pathological destruction wrought by the perpetrator in the novel. Footprints, found evidence, play a role, but the story of the community is the determining pattern for unraveling the series of lives that were lost. It's like a wiser and better-seasoned Dog the Bounty hunter has upped his game by bringing responsibility to the table, instead of just the ugly scent of the hunt. Existing entirely within the relationship failures that had beset the wronged murder victim and the wronged suitors of the murder victim, the story brings us all a lot to consider in Sheriff Longmire's travails. This story of Longmire's investigation is tops ! ( )
  darcette | Nov 8, 2015 |
Johnson's 2nd mystery is darker and less humorous than his first book. The humor is still there, but Longmire is under a cloud from something that happened in the first book, so he even though his head is turned, he views his world with less optimism. Cady, his daughter, finally shows up, getting a flight with Air Omar and thus avoiding getting stuck at a snowed-in Denver airport as she did in book one. A couple of new characters are introduced who join the sheriff's department (not the same as in the TV series), and both prove themselves as assets. The TV series loosely borrowed from this plot for an episode, but this is again, a new Longmire story! Rejoice! Henry Standing Bear keeps everyone grounded through language and other skills, Vic turns on her "special" charm, and Walt survives. Dog's character is more fully developed; he reminds me of my Great Pyrenees in temperament and tendencies. The Wyoming winter is just beginning, and takes no prisonners. Christmas irony provides opportunities to laugh throughout the story, and New Year's starts with a solitary ritual. I did figure out who the killer was when he was introduced into the story, but that didn't interfere with the read. What's next, Craig? ( )
  brickhorse | Aug 31, 2015 |
Adiskidegabeko bizita, auzogabeko heriotza.

(A life without friends means death without company.)

- Basque proverb
For Dorothy Caldwell Kisling (1930-2005)
for whom Istill look when I laugh
"They used fire, back in the day."

Walt investigates a death by poison in this gripping novel from the New York Times bestselling author of The Cold Dish and As the Crow Flies, the second in the Walt Longmire Mystery Series, the basis for LONGMIRE, the hit A&E original drama series

Fans of Ace Atkins, Nevada Barr and Robert B. Parker will love Craig Johnson, New York Times bestselling author of Hell Is Empty and As the Crow Flies, who garnered both praise and an enthusiastic readership with his acclaimed debut novel featuring Sheriff Walt Longmire, The Cold Dish, the first in the Walt Longmire mystery series, the basis for LONGMIRE, the hit A&E original drama series. Now Johnson takes us back to the rugged landscape of Absaroka County, Wyoming, for Death Without Company. When Mari Baroja is found poisoned at the Durant Home for Assisted Living, Sheriff Longmire is drawn into an investigation that reaches fifty years into the mysterious woman’s dramatic Basque past. Aided by his friend Henry Standing Bear, Deputy Victoria Moretti, and newcomer Santiago Saizarbitoria, Sheriff Longmire must connect the specter of the past to the present to find the killer among them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:42 -0400)

"When Mari Baroja is found poisoned at the Durant Home for Assisted Living, Sheriff Longmire is drawn into an investigation of her death that proves to be as dramatic as her life. Her connections to the Basque community, the lucrative coal-bed methane industry, and the personal life of the previous sheriff, Lucian Connally, lead to a complex web of half-truths and assumed allegiances. As the specter of Mari's abusive husband arises, Sheriff Longmire, aided by his friend Henry Standing Bear, Deputy Victoria Moretti, and newcomer Santiago Saizarbitoria, must connect the past to the present to find the killer among them."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

197 wanted4 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 2 books! | Top bar: Always visible