Death Without Company: A Walt Longmire…

Death Without Company: A Walt Longmire Mystery (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Craig Johnson

5323518,946 (4)130
Title:Death Without Company: A Walt Longmire Mystery
Authors:Craig Johnson
Info:Penguin Books (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, BJ
Tags:crime fiction, Walt Longmire series, Wyoming, Western crime, Native Americans

Death Without Company by Craig Johnson (2006)

I have been dabbling in this Mystery Series, and this Walt Longmire set of episodes has been a source of entertainment and startling revelation. I did not know when starting off that Sheriff Longmire's ability to track a perpetrator through clues that were submerged very deeply within the entire community's long historical crime patterns within certain families could actually build a structural framework to grant predictive ability for the rampaging criminal's next acts. It makes perfect sense that this deep consideration, and the dreams, become the fulcrum for stopping this pathological destruction wrought by the perpetrator in the novel. Footprints, found evidence, play a role, but the story of the community is the determining pattern for unraveling the series of lives that were lost. It's like a wiser and better-seasoned Dog the Bounty hunter has upped his game by bringing responsibility to the table, instead of just the ugly scent of the hunt. Existing entirely within the relationship failures that had beset the wronged murder victim and the wronged suitors of the murder victim, the story brings us all a lot to consider in Sheriff Longmire's travails. This story of Longmire's investigation is tops ! ( )
  darcette | Nov 8, 2015 |
Johnson's 2nd mystery is darker and less humorous than his first book. The humor is still there, but Longmire is under a cloud from something that happened in the first book, so he even though his head is turned, he views his world with less optimism. Cady, his daughter, finally shows up, getting a flight with Air Omar and thus avoiding getting stuck at a snowed-in Denver airport as she did in book one. A couple of new characters are introduced who join the sheriff's department (not the same as in the TV series), and both prove themselves as assets. The TV series loosely borrowed from this plot for an episode, but this is again, a new Longmire story! Rejoice! Henry Standing Bear keeps everyone grounded through language and other skills, Vic turns on her "special" charm, and Walt survives. Dog's character is more fully developed; he reminds me of my Great Pyrenees in temperament and tendencies. The Wyoming winter is just beginning, and takes no prisonners. Christmas irony provides opportunities to laugh throughout the story, and New Year's starts with a solitary ritual. I did figure out who the killer was when he was introduced into the story, but that didn't interfere with the read. What's next, Craig? ( )
  brickhorse | Aug 31, 2015 |
With the second novel in his Walt Longmire series of western crime novels, Craig Johnson does another excellent job with the plot, character development, pacing, and beautiful descriptions of Wyoming.

Most of the character development in this novel is focused on Lucien Connoly - one of Walt's predecessors in the sheriff's office. Also expanded upon are the descendants of Basque settlers (sheep herders) in this area of the Rockies.
Johnson expands the cast of characters in the sheriff's office with Ferg and a Basque deputy.

The action is well paced, the mystery is well written, and the sense of place the reader gets is second to none.

Next up - #3 in the series !! ( )
  labdaddy4 | Jun 6, 2015 |
This book is the second of a series featuring Walt Longmire, the wise, gnarled sheriff of (fictional) Absaroka County, Wyoming. This one follows an elaborate series of plot twists after the death of Mari Baroja, an elderly Basque woman living in an assisted living facility. Her next door neighbor, Lucian Connally, who happens to be Longmire’s predecessor as sheriff, suspects her death was the result of foul play. Soon, attempts (some successful) are made on the lives of other people who played a part in Mari’s early life.

Walt Longmire eventually solves the mystery with the help of his faithful Indian companion and semi-superhero, Henry Walking Bear, but not without a few close calls and a great deal of discomfort. The action takes place in the winter, which in Wyoming can be exceedingly cold, a fact that the author never lets us forget. The characters in the sheriff’s department are uniformly quirky, interesting, and lovable.

I liked this book quite a bit and plan to read others in the series.

(JAB) ( )
  nbmars | May 19, 2015 |
Death Without Company is the second book in Craig Johnson's "Longmire" series and I liked it better than "The Cold Dish," the first entry in the series. Improvements: The snarky style humor is dialed down a notch and the character of the foul-mouthed deputy is broadened a bit. We still get a sense of humor. I think the "woo-woo" mysticism and dream sequences are also a little better here, though they still bother me a bit. Downside: I thought a budding romance in the first novel was well done, but in the second it seemed to be included almost as an afterthought - it started off intriguing and then really fell by the side. The other downside to me is having Longmire, not a young man, be a bit too much of a superman.

The mystery in here is intriguing, but what really is the charm of the books are the characters and setting. This novel really builds off the characters we met in the first novel, adds a couple new ones and broadens the depth a lot, especially with the former sheriff Lucian Connelly. The people here have some pretty interesting pasts. The rural nature of the Wyoming country is brought to life vividly.

I listened to nearly half the story as an audiobook, but the pace was a little too slow for me and without close focus on listening I felt like I was missing a few bits. I ended up re-reading most of what I had listened to with a paper copy and finished the novel up that way. The narration of the audiobook is well done, I'm just not a good audiobooker I think. I read here there and everywhere. ( )
  RBeffa | May 2, 2015 |
Adiskidegabeko bizita, auzogabeko heriotza.

(A life without friends means death without company.)

- Basque proverb
For Dorothy Caldwell Kisling (1930-2005)
for whom Istill look when I laugh
"They used fire, back in the day."

Walt investigates a death by poison in this gripping novel from the New York Times bestselling author of The Cold Dish and As the Crow Flies, the second in the Walt Longmire Mystery Series, the basis for LONGMIRE, the hit A&E original drama series
Fans of Ace Atkins, Nevada Barr and Robert B. Parker will love Craig Johnson, New York Times bestselling author of Hell Is Empty and As the Crow Flies, who garnered both praise and an enthusiastic readership with his acclaimed debut novel featuring Sheriff Walt Longmire, The Cold Dish, the first in the Walt Longmire mystery series, the basis for LONGMIRE, the hit A&E original drama series. Now Johnson takes us back to the rugged landscape of Absaroka County, Wyoming, for Death Without Company. When Mari Baroja is found poisoned at the Durant Home for Assisted Living, Sheriff Longmire is drawn into an investigation that reaches fifty years into the mysterious woman’s dramatic Basque past. Aided by his friend Henry Standing Bear, Deputy Victoria Moretti, and newcomer Santiago Saizarbitoria, Sheriff Longmire must connect the specter of the past to the present to find the killer among them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:42 -0400)

"When Mari Baroja is found poisoned at the Durant Home for Assisted Living, Sheriff Longmire is drawn into an investigation of her death that proves to be as dramatic as her life. Her connections to the Basque community, the lucrative coal-bed methane industry, and the personal life of the previous sheriff, Lucian Connally, lead to a complex web of half-truths and assumed allegiances. As the specter of Mari's abusive husband arises, Sheriff Longmire, aided by his friend Henry Standing Bear, Deputy Victoria Moretti, and newcomer Santiago Saizarbitoria, must connect the past to the present to find the killer among them."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

43 wanted4 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible