The Wood Queen by Karen Mahoney

The Wood Queen (edition 2012)

by Karen Mahoney

Member:xicanti
Title:The Wood Queen
Authors:Karen Mahoney
Info:Corgi Childrens (2012), Paperback
Collections:Sellers, Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fantasy, contemporary fantasy, british, family, magic users, 2012, quiltbag

The Wood Queen by Karen Mahoney

This is the second book in The Iron Witch trilogy. I really enjoyed the first one and was excited to read the second book after some of the interesting hints and glimpses we got in the first book. This book ended up being fairly disappointing.

In this book Donna is under trial by the Order of the Dragon and awaiting her punishment for stealing the Elixir of Life. Donna is also dealing with her ailing mother and ends up striking a deal with the Wood Queen; if Donna opens a door to Faerie and lets the Wood Queen and her Wood Elves back home then the Wood Queen will release Donna’s mother from the elven curse that has taken away her sanity and consciousness.

Mostly this story was just plain boring; all the parts about the trial and the Order of the Dragon were just boring boring boring. The portions of the story dealing with Donna’s failing mother are more interesting. I was disappointed that we don’t really get to visit the other realms and that none of that was really expanded on until right at the end of the book.

I didn’t like the characters nearly as much as in the first book; they are all so jealous and secretive. Donna is kept in the dark about a number of things and this makes her easy to manipulate and trick. I also didn’t like how snotty and combative Donna was all the time, even with characters that were trying to help her. I don’t remember her being quite this bad in the first book and am not sure what happened here. Navin is also very jealous throughout and Xan is just plain absent most of the story (both literally and emotionally).

In the first book I really enjoyed how elements of alchemy were combined with the fey; this book doesn’t expand on any of that really. Donna is acquiring new powers, but aside from the fact that she is getting them we don’t really learn how that ties into alchemy.

Overall this was a quick read, but boring and kind of a drag. I won’t be reading the final book because by the time I got to the end of this book I just didn’t care anymore...about any of it. It was very disappointing, I thought the first book showed a lot of promise but everything was pretty much taken in the wrong direction in the second book. There are so many other excellent YA fey books out there that would recommend skipping this one. ( )
  krau0098 | Feb 12, 2016 |
My thoughts have been a little jumbled trying to write this review. Donna Underwood had to steal & destroy the elixir of life to save her best friend Navin & Maker, an elder alchemist. Continuing from The Iron Witch, Donna has to face the consequences of her actions, a 'trial' by the four Orders. Awaiting her punishment, Donna unveils more secrets & the truth about her sick mother.
Things get a little steamy between Donna & Xan. What's a good YA novel without a little teen love. I'm not sure why Donna can't have more faith or trust in Xan. Maybe her feelings for Navin are holding her back?
One new character stands out, Robert Lee. If he wasn't gay, he could've been a new love interest in London.
I like that Donna is human. She continues to make mistakes but she has matured & needs to right the wrongs she has made.
We still don't get into the details of alchemy, like how Maker fixed Donna's hands & forearms with Iron.
I hope the third installment brings the fall of The Wood Queen & we get to read Donna learning the full potential of her powers. ( )
  sharlenehsmith | Mar 9, 2015 |
Oh gosh this series is too dragging. I spend a full week trying to continue reading this book and its so exhausting.

Initially I thought the book was set in victorian era (like normal steampunk stuff) but no, its modern era but the people talk like they haven't been in modern era. The setting's and character's dullness, which made me initially confused, was horrendous. Is this suppose to be dystopian but no, its like a secret society story in america. Yeah, you get me right...

and the girl was complaining about her being 'exiled' to england. Girl, I WANT to stay in England. Free of charge at that. Jeesh... you can go all touristy and such and no one cares.

This book is not for those who like to read in full speed because this book stunted every chapter and shows little story progression until quarter end. I did comment about the length in the previous book but in this one, come on, its like waiting for tv series hiatus (which I was! Fringe TVD and OUAT was on hiatus, hence why I read this book) and then what you get was a goddamn turd.

and then what finally got to me in a most eyes-opening way was the book written in second point of view but in the style of first person point of view. Thats why it made me confused, POVs is like watching through a window or reside in someone's head or tagging along with the characters like some sort of guardian angel. But this?! Confused me a lot. Its like getting information dump on a lot of unnecessary things. Do I need to know every details of your feelings? Thats what first POV are for!

I'm really hoping the third book doesnt come out this year or I'm gonna go bald from pulling my hair everytime Donna do something so inane. Like write a diary, argue with the evil aunt or compare three boys and at one time wondered if her virtue is compromised for being alone with a guy, or suddenly had a dose of Cortexiphan in her and then she could do what Olivia Dunham do. Hell I dont really have a magnificent enlightenment when you glow like a tinkle bell and then you teleported yourself to places you want to be.

Did I say I took one week trying to continue reading from chapter 5? and a month since I began reading this book?

yeah ( )
  aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |
Plot: 2 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 2 stars
Pace: 2 1/2 stars

Picked up by Dev at the ALA conference she went to earlier this year, and I just now got around to reading it.

Almost all of the book is just fall out from the first book, and her "punishment" seems like a treat. The only action that happens is at the almost-end, and feels more like setup for the third. The whole book to me feels like it could have been summed up in a chapter, and then on to the next book.

Meh. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |
It was ok. Not the best. ( )
  GirlsonFire | Feb 16, 2013 |

"The wood monster is dead. I know this is true because I killed it. And yet my dreams are still full of fear and pain . . ."

To keep her best friend, Navin, from being killed at the hands of vicious wood elves, Donna Underwood stole the elixir of life. Now she’s facing an alchemist tribunal while her mother lies dying, succumbing to the elven curse that shattered her mind. In desperation, Donna seeks an audience with Aliette, the fierce and manipulative Wood Queen, who offers a deal: if Donna can use her strange and burgeoning powers to help the wood elves, Aliette will free her mother from the curse. Along with Navin and Xan, the half-fey guy she’s falling for, Donna struggles to unlock the secrets of her iron tattoos in time to save her mother’s life. But some secrets are better left untold.

Book 2 in the explosive Iron Witch series

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:25 -0400)

Donna Underwood is facing an alchemist tribunal for stealing the elixir of life, but when her ailing mother takes a turn for the worse and Donna seeks an audience with Aliette, the Wood Queen, she is offered a deal--if Donna can use her powers to open the door to Faerie and send the wood elves home, Aliette will free her mother from the elven curse that has shattered her mind.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible