The Wood Queen by Karen Mahoney

The Wood Queen (edition 2012)

by Karen Mahoney

Collections:Sellers, Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fantasy, contemporary fantasy, british, family, magic users, lgbt, 2012

The Wood Queen by Karen Mahoney

Oh gosh this series is too dragging. I spend a full week trying to continue reading this book and its so exhausting.

Initially I thought the book was set in victorian era (like normal steampunk stuff) but no, its modern era but the people talk like they haven't been in modern era. The setting's and character's dullness, which made me initially confused, was horrendous. Is this suppose to be dystopian but no, its like a secret society story in america. Yeah, you get me right...

and the girl was complaining about her being 'exiled' to england. Girl, I WANT to stay in England. Free of charge at that. Jeesh... you can go all touristy and such and no one cares.

This book is not for those who like to read in full speed because this book stunted every chapter and shows little story progression until quarter end. I did comment about the length in the previous book but in this one, come on, its like waiting for tv series hiatus (which I was! Fringe TVD and OUAT was on hiatus, hence why I read this book) and then what you get was a goddamn turd.

and then what finally got to me in a most eyes-opening way was the book written in second point of view but in the style of first person point of view. Thats why it made me confused, POVs is like watching through a window or reside in someone's head or tagging along with the characters like some sort of guardian angel. But this?! Confused me a lot. Its like getting information dump on a lot of unnecessary things. Do I need to know every details of your feelings? Thats what first POV are for!

I'm really hoping the third book doesnt come out this year or I'm gonna go bald from pulling my hair everytime Donna do something so inane. Like write a diary, argue with the evil aunt or compare three boys and at one time wondered if her virtue is compromised for being alone with a guy, or suddenly had a dose of Cortexiphan in her and then she could do what Olivia Dunham do. Hell I dont really have a magnificent enlightenment when you glow like a tinkle bell and then you teleported yourself to places you want to be.

Did I say I took one week trying to continue reading from chapter 5? and a month since I began reading this book?

yeah ( )
  aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |
Plot: 2 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 2 stars
Pace: 2 1/2 stars

Picked up by Dev at the ALA conference she went to earlier this year, and I just now got around to reading it.

Almost all of the book is just fall out from the first book, and her "punishment" seems like a treat. The only action that happens is at the almost-end, and feels more like setup for the third. The whole book to me feels like it could have been summed up in a chapter, and then on to the next book.

Meh. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |
It was ok. Not the best. ( )
  GirlsonFire | Feb 16, 2013 |
After reading the first book and really liking it, I knew I wanted to read the second book. This book pick up right from where it left off. Donna is still facing the consequences of her past actions and much need work is needed to be done.

What I liked most about this book, is that Donna is stronger. She is exposing secrets left and right. I like that Donna is being head on about things. She is tired of lies and demands the truth. I totally agree with her. Enough lies!

The love interest didn't grow as much as I wanted it to, but it did bring some revelation about their relationship. Let's just say the guy wasn't totally honest either. There love suffered a bit and I am anxious to see, with all the new revelations how its going to go now.

Despite the occasional predictability, it ends up being a satisfyingly read. The Wood Queen, had lots of action that kept you at the edge of your seat. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Feb 15, 2012 |
THE WOOD QUEEN starts up right where THE IRON WITCH left off. Donna is now on trial for for stealing the elixir of life. The Wood Queen comes to Donna with a request for help and dangles her mother and her worsened condition over her head to get her to help. And if that isn't enough, her Iron Tattoos are starting to act a bit weird. Donna learns a lot in book 2. She finds out quite a bit about her powers, learns about secret plots to use her in horrible ways, and secrets that have been hidden from her. Things she thought she knew were false and people she thought were on her side disappoint her.

Donna continues to be an interesting character. I love her iron tattoos and it was great to find out more about them and how they both saved her as well as hinder her now in some ways. I like that she doesn't meekly follow along when she knows she doesn't agree with things people are doing. Navin has had a hard time dealing with all that happened in book 1 to him and the secrets that were kept from him but he is still whole heartedly Donna's best friend and is there for her every step of the events in THE WOOD QUEEN. I really hope he continues to be in on the next adventure, I couldn't imagine him not being there. Xan, uggh I just cant figure him out. I really liked him and what he brought to THE IRON WITCH but so many things about him are up in the air. When you think you know everything about him something else pops up to make you go hmmm. The ending kinda left their relationship (Donna and Xan) up in the air and I'm hoping we finally get to know him in book 3 if he is still involved. There were a few new characters introduced that I'm sure we will see more of in the future. Robert Lee who I think is a great new ally and the Demon King that I cant imagine will bring anything but trouble.

THE WOOD QUEEN brought us plenty of action, mystery, and suspense. The pace is smooth and the plot full of twists and turns. I couldn't imagine not reading what comes next for Donna. I recommend that new readers to the series start with book 1. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Feb 1, 2012 |

"The wood monster is dead. I know this is true because I killed it. And yet my dreams are still full of fear and pain . . ."

To keep her best friend, Navin, from being killed at the hands of vicious wood elves, Donna Underwood stole the elixir of life. Now she’s facing an alchemist tribunal while her mother lies dying, succumbing to the elven curse that shattered her mind. In desperation, Donna seeks an audience with Aliette, the fierce and manipulative Wood Queen, who offers a deal: if Donna can use her strange and burgeoning powers to help the wood elves, Aliette will free her mother from the curse. Along with Navin and Xan, the half-fey guy she’s falling for, Donna struggles to unlock the secrets of her iron tattoos in time to save her mother’s life. But some secrets are better left untold.

Book 2 in the explosive Iron Witch series

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:39 -0400)

Donna Underwood is facing an alchemist tribunal for stealing the elixir of life, but when her ailing mother takes a turn for the worse and Donna seeks an audience with Aliette, the Wood Queen, she is offered a deal--if Donna can use her powers to open the door to Faerie and send the wood elves home, Aliette will free her mother from the elven curse that has shattered her mind.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,889,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible