Due or Die by Jenn McKinley

Due or Die (2012)

by Jenn McKinley

English (21)  Piratical (1)  All languages (22)
This book takes place only three months after the last one - Briar Creek Library seems to attract murders. At any rate, this time around Lindsey's concern is the Friends of the Library. When they voted for their next president, they overwhelmingly opted to go with Carrie Rushton over their current president, Bill Sint. Lindsey silently approves of the change, but there's no denying that Bill's upset.

Unfortunately, not long after the vote Carrie's husband Markus is murdered in their home. Carrie doesn't have the best alibi, and Markus was known to be difficult to put up with. Did Carrie kill him so that she could finally be free of him? Lindsey's gut says no, and there's certainly no shortage of people who disliked Markus. A possibility that worries her: that Marjorie Bilson, a woman obsessed with Bill Sint, killed Markus as a way of getting back at Carrie and forcing the Friends to make Bill their president again. Unfortunately, Marjorie seems to blame Lindsey for Bill being voted out at least as much as she blames Carrie.

As in the first book, the library aspects were fairly decent, although I had more questions about some of the background info. The timeline seemed to be a little tight, considering that Beth, Lindsey's friend since library school, was specifically stated to be 32 in this book (Lindsey is 35). Beth and Lindsey met while getting their library science degrees, approximately 10 years ago, which I think just barely works out. Then I wondered about Lindsey, who lost her archivist job due to budget cuts and a "last hired, first fired" policy, although I'm pretty sure she'd been working for Yale for at least 8 years. Surely there were lots of other people who'd be considered newer hires than her?

All of which is nitpicky, I know, but I can't help thinking about these things. This book also revealed that Lindsey was hired as Briar Creek Library's director even though she had zero supervisory experience, but this bugged me less than the other stuff I wondered about. Small libraries in small towns get fewer applicants, and Lindsey could believably have been the best applicant the library got.

The mystery aspect wasn't quite as good in this book as it was in the first. Lindsey's few run-ins with Marjorie made my skin crawl, but she seemed to be too obvious a suspect. The killer's motives ended up being more of a surprise than their identity, although I did guess parts of the motive early enough to worry about something Lindsey decided to do near the end of the book.

Although the mystery didn't work as well for me this time around, I really liked the developments in Lindsey's personal life. First, she acquired Heathcliff, a 5-month-old Pitbull/Schnauzer mix. Someone left him in the library's book drop, and she decided to foster him while trying to find him a home, which inevitably turned into a desire to keep him.

Second, there were several nice moments in the developing romance between Sully and Lindsey, despite the slight love triangle involving Lindsey, Sully, and Edmund Sint. I'm a fan of quietly dependable love interests, and Sully definitely fits the bill.

Extras:

- "The Briar Creek Guide to Crafternoons"

- Reader's guide for Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

- Lindsey's crochet scarf pattern

- Recipe for Nancy's peanut butter cookies - I was tempted to try making these, but I tend to suck at baking cookies and didn't relish the idea of dealing with a recipe involving peanut butter.

- Recipe for Nancy's peanut butter dog biscuits

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | May 6, 2018 |
When I first read this years ago I only gave it four stars, however, I reread this a couple of days ago and should have given it five stars;it's that good. ( )
  klocke66 | Jan 31, 2018 |
A puppy is in the returned book bin. The husband of the new President of the Friends of the Library is murdered. A nasty nor'easter hits. It is up to Lindsay and her friends to find the killer before he/she strikes again.

I like these characters. I like their interactions and the teasing Lindsay gets about Sully. The story was good. I did figure out the who and part of the why. I needed the ending to fill out the rest of the why. I'll be reading more of this series. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Sep 24, 2017 |
An enjoyable series. ( )
  anglophile65 | May 23, 2017 |
Lindsey Norris is the director of a small-town library and has started enjoying her job. That is until Carrie Rushton, the newly elected president of the Friends of the Library's, husband is killed and Carrie is the main suspect. Lindsey knows that Carrie couldn't have killed her husband, she's just too nice so Lindsey sets out to find out who did it - until a winter nor'easter pops up keeping everyone inside. There are suspects aplenty in this 2nd book in the Library Lover's Mystery series.

I enjoyed this book, lots of drama to move the story along, even when everyone is snowed in there is something happening - that's good writing. Looking forward to the next book. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
Your library is your paradise. --Desiderius Erasmus
For my dudes, Wyatt and Beckett, I'm so glad I get to be your mom. I love you to infinity and back.
"I could not believe that Lucy agreed to marry Cecil when she was so obviously in love with George," Violet La Rue declared.

Answering tricky reference questions is excitement enough for library director Lindsey Norris, until a murder is committed in her cozy hometown of Briar Creek, Connecticut. The question of who did it must be answered before someone else is checked out--for good.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,849,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible