Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Cinnamon Roll Murder (Hannah Swensen…

Cinnamon Roll Murder (Hannah Swensen Mysteries) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Joanne Fluke

Member:RobinBrz
Title:Cinnamon Roll Murder (Hannah Swensen Mysteries)
Authors:Joanne Fluke
Info:Kensington (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read
Rating:***

Cinnamon Roll Murder by Joanne Fluke (2012)

Spring time in Lake Eden and time for the Weekend Jazz Festival. Hannah has been asked to bake cinnamon rolls in honour of the headlining band, Cinnamon Roll Six. The event is shaping up to be fantastic when the tour bus carrying the band overturns and some of the musicians are injured.

Things are twisted when it is discovered that the driver has died in the bus. The thought was a possible medical condition. Things become worse when Buddy, the keyboard player and most adored, is discovered stabbed while waiting to have his hand looked at.

Hannah is not only busy baking, she is also sleuthing to find out what the story is and who the murder is. She can't seem to find much out about Buddy and his past; not even Mike, her on-again-off-again boyfriend on the sheriff's department, and he has great sources for info!

What she does uncover is that Buddy isn't really who he acts to be. Also that someone in Lake Eden has a few secrets that she is keeping. Secrets that affect Hannah and her friends.

There are some good twists and turns that keep you guessing. I find that I do try to solve the puzzle as I go along. Sometimes I do and sometimes I just have to read to the end.

I'm still enjoying the series. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Oct 26, 2018 |
Norman Rhodes, Lake Eden's favorite dentist, is engaged to marry fellow dentist Doctor Bev, and no one is happy about it. Even Norman's chief rival for the affections of town cookie maker and amateur homicide detective, Hannah Swensen, is not happy about his friend Norman marrying a woman he thinks is a liar--and whom he's pretty sure Norman isn't in love with. But Norman is nothing if not responsible, and he's the father of Bev's daughter Diana--or so she tells him.

Since this really isn't enough excitement for Lake Eden, the jazz band, Cinnamon Roll Six, scheduled to perform in town, becomes part of a multi-car crash on the ice-slicked highway. Hannah and her youngest sister, Michelle, witness the accident and pitch in to help get the less seriously injured to the hospital, while the ambulances take the more seriously injured. The band's keyboard player, Buddy Neiman, has a sprained wrist, not a life-threatening injury though not minor for a keyboardist. By the end of the evening, though, he's dead--with surgical scissors in his chest.

The amusing thing, here, for fans of the series, is that Hannah's mother Delores is the one who finds Buddy's body.

Hannah has two mysteries to solve--who killed Buddy, and what is Doctor Bev up to? For that matter, who IS Buddy? His blood type on his I.D. doesn't match the blood type the hospital finds when they do his autopsy. Is Doctor Bev really allergic to cats, or is she lying just to get Cuddles out of Norman's house and to prevent Norman from visiting Cuddles and Moishe at Hannah's? And most importantly, is Norman really Diana's biological father?

The investigation of course involves a good deal of skirting the rules and cutting corners on confidentiality, but Mike, their official homicide detective, has become a bit more relaxed about these things as long as it isn't waved in his face. It also, of course, involves Hannah, her partner Lisa, Michelle, and even the middle sister, Andrea, cooking and baking with glee. Recipes included!

This wouldn't be a good place to start this series; there's too much history behind these characters now. If you've enjoyed other books in the series, though, this is a satisfying entry.

Recommended.

I borrowed this book from the library ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
I know Ms. Fluke wants Hannah to go in 1 direction, I however, want her love life to go in the other.. sigh... ( )
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
One of the better Hannah Swenson mysteries I've read, albeit very simplistic. Hannah is unhappily awaiting the wedding of her beloved dentist, Norman, to Dr. Bev, another dentist with whom he shares a daughter, Diana. Meanwhile, Hannah comes across a huge accident on an icy highway while she and her sister are making a delivery of cinnamon rolls to a local lodge. The lodge is hosting a jazz fest featuring The Cinnamon Roll Six, an upcoming jazz band. Unfortunately, the band's bus one one of the vehicles in the accident. It rolled over, and the driver was dead. All band members survived, but were taken to the local hospital robe checked out. While there, the keyboard player is murdered. Hannah along with her Mom and sister's set out to solve the murder. In doing so, Hannah uncovers information which will affect Norman's future. A quick little few hour read. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Mar 25, 2017 |
Book on CD read by Suzanne Torren.

In Book #15 the residents of Lake Eden, Minnesota, are looking forward to the Jazz Festival, featuring the Cinnamon Roll Six jazz band. But before the festivities can begin the group’s tour bus overturns on icy roads, landing several of the band members in the hospital emergency room for cuts, bruises and broken bones. Hannah Swensen’s mother finds the body this time, but Hannah and her sisters, Michelle and Andrea will definitely get together to investigate and solve the crime.

The plot was thin and stretched credulity way too far. The side story of Norman and Doctor Bev was unbelievable and ridiculous. The dialogue is terrible. I’ve enjoyed several of the books in this series (I’d read #1-5). Has the writing gotten worse, because I’ve never noticed the bad dialogue before – or is that a function of listening to the audio rather than reading it? And while I’m on the subject of the audio, I did not like Suzanne Torren’s performance at all. Her “bright, chirpy” voice for Hannah, Michelle and Andrea irritated me no end, and the way she voiced the developmentally delayed Freddy Sawyer just about made me scream.

I give it 1 star for the recipes, some of which I actually would like to try.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
This book is for my favorite composer, Billy Barnes, my favorite musician, Bob Menadier, and my favorite jazz singer, Laurie Gral.
"The only problem with leaving four car lengths in front of you is that four cars come in to fill up the space!"

April is a busy time for Hannah Swensen and her bakery;the warm weather makes folks in Lake Eden, Minnesota, go wild for something sweet. When Hannah hears that the Cinnamon Roll Six jazz band will be playing at the town's Weekend Jazz Festival, she's more than happy to bake up a generous supply of their namesake confections to welcome the band to town.

Before the festival even begins, tragedy strikes when the tour bus overturns. Among those injured is Buddy Neiman, the band's beloved keyboard player. Buddy's injuries appear minor, until his condition suddenly takes a turn for the worse--as in dead. Hannah's no doctor, but she suspects that the surgical scissors someone plunged into Buddy's chest may have something to do with it. Hannah isn't sure just how she'll unravel the mystery, but one thing's for sure: nothing's sweeter than bringing a killer to justice...

When Hannah Swensen hears that the Cinnamon Roll Six jazz band will be playing at a festival in Lake Eden, Minnesota, she bakes up a supply of their namesake confections to welcome them. But tragedy strikes when their tour bus overturns on its way into town. And keyboard player Buddy Neiman's minor injuries turn deadly serious when someone plunges surgical scissors into his chest...Turns out, Buddy Neiman isn't the victim's real name. In fact, no one is really sure who he is. Hannah's investigation digs up a few local suspects. There is Doctor Bev, who seems to know more about "Buddy" than she's willing to admit. And Devon, an aspiring keyboard player who may have had a fatal case of jealousy. Hannah isn't sure how she'll unravel the mystery, but one thing's for sure: there's nothing sweeter than bringing a killer to justice...… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Joanne Fluke's book Cinnamon Roll Murder was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,435,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible