Buried In A Book by Lucy Arlington

Buried In A Book (2012)

by Lucy Arlington

2622065,938 (3.68)44

English (19)  Piratical (1)  All languages (20)
Usually when I read a cozy mystery, I really fall for the quirky characters and the plot comes in second. But this time, I fell for the main character, Lila Wilkins job. She was 45 years old and had to find a new job. I have been there. But the job that she finds is now the one that I can now dream about.

She is going to learn how to be a literary agent! What a job. So Buried In A Book by Lucy Arlington had me job jealous. I kept thinking about her wonderful job while she was enjoying it. I wanted to steal her query letters. And of course, I wanted her dream house in Inspiration Valley, North Carolina. Her son made me happy too because he was so independent that it reminded me of when my own son was a teenager. I worried a whole lot through those years.

Lila’s mother is a tarot card reader and bakes a lot of delicious chocolate banana bread which Lila eats. Lila also has had a lot of carmel lattes. I kept thinking, won’t she gain weight? I would. I was so happy when my thoughts got sent to her mother and she actually noticed that Lila’s jeans were getting too tight. I love that! I have always been mad at main characters who don’t ever gain weight despite all the goodies that they eat.

In addition to all the above in this book. Marlette, the early murder victim is so quirky that you have to love him. The pacing was fine and this book really made a hit with me.

Highly recommended for all cozy murder mystery readers. ( )
  Carolee888 | Jul 19, 2016 |
Last week I checked out Played by the Book, fourth in the Novel Idea mystery series. I liked it well enough to check out book one, Buried in a Book, this week.

The book opens with Lila Wilkins losing the job she's had for 20 years: reporter for her local newspaper, The Dunston Herald, because of budget cuts. She's a single mother whose 17-year-old lazy son, Trey, is supposed to start college in the Fall. (See chapter five for the story of why Bill became her ex-husband.) Naturally, Lila is wondering how she'll pay the bills, including college. Then she notices an ad for an internship at Novel Idea Literary Agency, which is in the same hamlet where her mother lives.

It's a very good thing that her mother (known as the 'Amazing Althea' to customers of her psychic services), lives in Inspiration Valley. After Lila's first day on the job, which includes a suspicious death in the lobby, Trey does something very foolish with his mother's car. (He borrowed it without permission. Didn't Lila teach him not to touch others' stuff without asking?) I wanted to give him a kick in the pants for his reaction to the consequences of his misdeed. Thank goodness Lila stood firm with her overgrown spoiled brat.

Trey does improve as the book progresses. (It's an improvement worthy of a 'Who are you and what have you done with my son?' question.)

Lila gets to meet two sexy men: Sean Griffiths, one of the police officers who comes because of the death, and Jude Hudson, one of the agents at Novel Idea. They're both interested.

There's a good reason given for why smelly-but-courteous Marlette's murder isn't a top priority with the Dunston Police. That's why Lila finds herself trying to learn more about the man she met so briefly during the last day of his life.

Marlette's back story is tragic. Will Lila be able to find some posthumous justice for the poor man?

This cozy mystery is filled with interesting characters in a charming setting. I've already asked to have book two put on hold for me. Aspiring writers might find some of the queries Lila reads and the reactions to them helpful. I also like the reference to real-life famous books and authors.

Notes:

See chapter 6 for where Althea got her exquisitely-carved walking stick.

Our first glimpse of Marlette's journal and the talent/clue displayed within is in chapter 7.

It's in chapter 8 that we learn Lila is a fan of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse mysteries/paranormal romances. ( )
  JalenV | Jul 25, 2015 |
This is the first book in the A Novel Idea Mystery series by Lucy Arlington. Lila Wlkins is a newspaper reporter and the paper is undergoing a downsizing and she is suddenly unemployed. Looking through the classifieds, she finds an opportunity that appeals to her. An internship at A Novel Idea. She knows she has what it takes to turn that into a literary agent.

The co-workers in this agency range quiet to very outgoing. As the intern, her job is to read out inquiries sent to the agency from hopeful authors. Lila also has a homeless person, Marlette, who stops by every day with bouquet of flowers and asks if anyone has read letter. As scraggy as he looks Lila can't believe that he is capable of becoming an author. On his last visit he is sitting on the sofa in the reception are and Lila notices he hasn't moved in some time. Upon closer inspection with the help of one of the agents, finds that he is dead, possibly caused by a bee sting.

Inspiration Valley, being a small town, also has a small police department. They are in the midst investigating a building fire in which someone has died. Lila feels that the cursory investigation by police is hardly fair to the dead man.

With a little help from the agents in her office, Makayla, who runs Expresso Yourself,and some of the residents of the Red Fox Co-op; Lila is able to track down the story on Marlette and also to find the manuscript that he had written. The manuscript being the reason he was killed. She has enough information gathered to turn it over to Officer Griffithsnd get the killer apprehended.

I am one who loves to be told a story, as opposed to trying figure out what is in the minds of the characters. The author has great story to tell and has provided a very interesting and beautiful backdrop fot it. I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  FredYoder | May 8, 2015 |
The concept of this series is different than any I've read before - bringing in a new area of the literary community. As in many 1st in a series, some of the development slowed the action but as it moved along, it was very entertaining. Characters have great room for growth and I look forward to the next installment. ( )
  cyderry | Feb 15, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/11675663 ( )
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
This cozy debut, written by a pseudonymous duo, excels at describing bucolic North Carolina. Think Kate Carlisle for her intergenerational ensemble style or Mark de Castrique's series for regional Tar Heel flavor.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Teresa L. Jacobsen (Jan 1, 2012)

First in a new series. After losing her job as a journalist at the age of 45, Lila Wilkins accepts an internship at A Novel Idea, a thriving literary agency in North Carolina. When a penniless aspiring author drops dead in the agency's waiting room--and Lila discovers a series of threatening letters--she's determined to find out who wrote him off.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,309,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible