Barrio lejano - Tomo 1 by Jiro Taniguchi

Barrio lejano - Tomo 1 (2005)

by Jiro Taniguchi, Boilet (Adaptación gráfica), Keiko Suzuki (Translator), M. Barrera (Translator)

Member:jmbadia
Title:Barrio lejano - Tomo 1
Authors:Jiro Taniguchi
Other authors:Boilet (Adaptación gráfica), Keiko Suzuki (Translator), M. Barrera (Translator)
Info:Ponent Mon (2004), Paperback
Collections:CL_deComicsBibXAmoros, Leidos, Your library
Tags:còmic

A Distant Neighborhood, Volume 1 by Jiro Taniguchi (2005)

English (7)  French (6)  Danish (2)  All languages (15)
Very different from my normal read, I was amazed by how interesting and powerful yet meandering this volume was. I really enjoy whenever I read a book where instead of the writer passing on some kind of agenda to us, we get to think through things with the character. ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Dec 9, 2013 |
A contemplative manga about a man who finds himself cast back into his own boyhood, but retaining his adult thoughts and memories. The art is quietly rich, and I felt the detailed monochrome style added to the nostalic feel of the work. It tentatively explores the protagonist's childhood, touching on nostalgia, responsibility, guilt, family and the differences between children and adults. I enjoyed it, but unlike some manga I don't think I could have handled another volume afterwards, because the relative weight of the themes makes it a little more challenging. I'm not entirely sure whether I'll want to read more of this, as I sense some heavy and potentially painful issues on the horizon. ( )
  Shimmin | Oct 19, 2013 |
This book has restored my faith in manga. It is a fascinating story about a man who finds himself living as his 14-year-old self knowing his own future. It is beautifully drawn, tense and mysterious. I am very eager to read the next volume! ( )
  martensgirl | Dec 13, 2012 |
Very detailed illustration help the reader to immerse himself in this tale of a 48-year old man who time shifts into the body of his fourteen-year old self. He rediscovers his family and his old hometown, since lost. He gradually realises that he is able to change events, maybe even prevent his father's imminent disappearance. But what of his own future, his wife and daughters? This is a subtle and contemplative tale, drawn in impeccable detail. I look forward to the second volume. ( )
  questbird | Aug 1, 2012 |
"You know, I asked my old man, and from what I gather, she doesn't have any relatives anywhere, and she's almost always all alone. Your father's probably the only one that comes to visit her. I'm not sure but . . . they say she doesn't have long left."

A Distant Neighborhood, Volumes 1 and 2, by Jiro Taniguchi, is the story of a 48 year old businessman, Hiroshi, who finds himself inexplicably sent back into his 14 year old body at the time right before his father disappeared from his family's lives. He feels the joy of the lightness of his body, and appreciates the happiness of his family more than he did the first time around. He has mixed feelings about the mutual attraction he feels with smart Tomoko Nagase, as he knows he actually is much older than she is, and he has a wife and family back in his "real life". Will he be able to solve the mystery of why his seemingly happy father left them? Will he be able to stop him? Will he correct past mistakes, will he change his life? Will he ever get back to his own time?

Taniguchi has become one of my favorite graphic novelists, with a beautiful, detailed drawing style and relatively simple, engaging stories that feature believable characters. His The Walking Man features a salaryman wandering away from his usual route and finding a life full of grace in small moments, like a woman returning to the cherry tree of her childhood to lie down in its blossoms. Here, Hiroshi believably deals with his knowledge of the future and desire to alter the past. Time with Nagase at the beach, riding a motorcycle with her, questioning his father about his happiness, getting drunk with his friend Shimada, meeting Shimada at a distant hospital . . . We pull for Hiroshi to find his way, and for his family and companions to find theirs. It may be too sentimental for some readers, but not this one. ( )
4 vote jnwelch | Feb 7, 2012 |
Uuuh...

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,667,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible