Defending Jacob by William Landay

Defending Jacob (original 2012; edition 2013)

by William Landay

Member:Delgado69
Title:Defending Jacob
Authors:William Landay
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 616 pages

Defending Jacob by William Landay (2012)

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2LZ)
    2LZ: Gone Girl is a mystery and psychological thriller rolled into one. I loved Gone Girl with the exception of the disappointing ending. Both novels were thought-provoking and engaging.
    The Bad Seed by William March (saratoga99)
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (Booksloth)
    Sycamore Row by John Grisham (Iudita)
    Iudita: Courtroom drama
    The Absence of Mercy: A Novel by BurleyJohn (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: Similar moral dilemma by parents of sociopath killer with different outcomes.
    Mystic River by Dennis Lehane (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Both are crime novels set in Massachusetts with extensive focus on the crime's impact on family. However, Mystic River is darker and goes far more in-depth into the crime's repercussions on the families involved.
    Before and After by Rosellen Brown (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both deal with the situation of parents whose child is accused of murder. Defending Jacob deals more in depth with the legal concepts involved.

English (219)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (221)
Wow, I've never been so bored by a murder mystery. If you love courtroom/procedural minutiae weakly tempered by the drama of the situation and character's personal struggles, this is THE BOOK for you. Such a fascinating premise, a district attorney trying to defend his son after he's accused of murder, that doesn't even begin to deliver. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
Defending Jacob is an insightful and detailed courtroom drama and a prime example of how a questionable narrator can sometimes be preferable to an omniscient one. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jul 26, 2014 |
From the beginning, I could tell that the very knowledgeable Mr. Landay was a former District Attorney. 'Defending Jacob' is a legal thriller this is well-written with the purpose of educating as well as entertaining.

This novel has generated a lot of hype and I can understand why. There is a lot going on when a family tries to cope with their lives after their 14-year-old son is charged with the murder of a classmate. I didn't like any of the characters and that was probably the intent of the author. Be prepared for twists, turns and an ending you won't see coming.

Very suspenseful, page-turning, and unforgettable. You won't regret reading this one! ( )
  pegmcdaniel | Jul 6, 2014 |
I did not expect that ending! ( )
  Jolynne | Jul 4, 2014 |
Having read a few romance novels recently, I can honestly say that ‘Defending Jacob’ was not light-hearted and uplifting as those stories were. Throughout the novel, I would read a little, and then have to put the book down to give myself a reprieve from the urgency and intensity of the plot. As I saw Andy Barber’s family become unraveled as his son, Jacob, stood on trial for murder, I felt myself growing so empathetic to what might be one of life’s most devastating experiences….to be a parent in support of a teenage child accused of a heinous crime.
Without giving too much away, let me just say that I did not foresee the story ending in such a tragic way. I don’t quite know what I expected, but being the eternal optimist, I’d hoped that relationships would be rekindled and that life would move on for Andy, Laurie, and their son Jacob.
‘Defending Jacob’ was not grisly or gruesome in the way that the story unfolded, and I very much appreciated that. I was also intrigued with the issue regarding genetic predisposition toward violence and social deviance, which was woven into the storyline. With growing advances in genetics, researchers today know so much more about how genetics combines with environment to influence social behavior. I found this to be a thought-provoking topic, and one to consider regarding acts of violence within our community. Are we really in control of our actions, or are some of us predestined toward acts of violence, and if so, how can we morally alter that course in individual lives? ( )
  haymaai | Jul 1, 2014 |

William Landayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In April 2008, Neal Logiudice finally subpoenaed me to appear before the grand jury.
Here is the dirty little secret: the error rate in criminal verdicts is much higher than anyone imagines. Not just false negatives, the guilty criminals who get off scott-free--those "errors" we recognize and accept. They are the predictable result of stacking the deck in the defendants' favor as we do. The real surprise is the frequency of the false positives, the innocent men found guilty. That error rate we do not acknowledge--do not even think about--because it calls so much into question. The fact is, what we call proof is as fallible as the witnesses who produce it, human beings all. Memories fail, eyewitness identifications are notoriously unreliable, even the best-intentioned cops are subject to failures of judgment and recall. The human element in any system is always prone to error.
A jury verdict is just a guess--a well-intentioned guess, generally, but you simply cannot tell fact from fiction by taking a vote.

Andy Barber has been an assistant district attorney in his suburban Massachusetts county for more than twenty years. He is respected in his community, tenacious in the courtroom, and happy at home with his wife, Laurie, and son, Jacob. But when a shocking crime shatters their New England town, Andy is blindsided by what happens next: His fourteen-year-old son is charged with the murder of a fellow student.

Every parental instinct Andy has rallies to protect his boy. Jacob insists that he is innocent, and Andy believes him. Andy must. He’s his father. But as damning facts and shocking revelations surface, as a marriage threatens to crumble and the trial intensifies, as the crisis reveals how little a father knows about his son, Andy will face a trial of his own—between loyalty and justice, between truth and allegation, between a past he’s tried to bury and a future he cannot conceive.

Award-winning author William Landay has written the consummate novel of an embattled family in crisis—a suspenseful, character-driven mystery that is also a spellbinding tale of guilt, betrayal, and the terrifying speed at which our lives can spin out of control.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385344228, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, February 2012: A fast, compelling, and compulsively readable courtroom drama, Defending Jacob tells the story of a district attorney’s son who is accused of killing a classmate. As the father attempts to prove his son’s innocence, Landay explores uncomfortable territory: can a tendency toward violence be inherited? Is the capacity for murder a genetic disposition? The author, a former district attorney, gets the taut nuances just right, capturing the subtleties of a trial in a packed courtroom, where a small rustle or murmur can signify a lot. In the end Landay pulls off a clever plot device that doesn’t reveal itself until the final pages. --Neal Thompson

Featured Guest Review: Chevy Stevens on Defending Jacob

Chevy Stevens grew up on a ranch on Vancouver Island and still calls the island home. She is the New York Times bestselling author of the novels Still Missing and Never Knowing.

From the first few pages of Defending Jacob, I knew this book was special. More than an exciting courtroom drama that combines the best elements of a legal and psychological thriller, it also delves into the heart of a family, and will rip yours out in the process.

When a young boy is found brutally murdered in the woods in a peaceful New England town, his body hastily covered with leaves, the community is shaken to its core. No one more so than Andy Barber, a well-respected assistant district attorney whose fourteen-year-old son, Jacob, went to school with the boy. Sure, Jacob is a typical moody teenager, hiding in his room all day with his headphones and lap top, but Andy loves him more than anything in this world--and would do anything to protect him.

While Andy's wife, Laurie, struggles with the possibility that there's a killer on the loose and their own son could be next, Andy's determined to find the culprit and bring him to justice. He immerses himself in a maelstrom of angry parents demanding answers, police hell-bent on making an arrest, and the complicated lives of teenagers, with their own secrets, and reasons for keeping them.

When, in a stunning turn of events, Jacob is arrested for the crime, both Andy and Laurie are stalwart in their defense of their son: there's no way their child could've committed this terrible act. As more shocking facts are revealed and lies uncovered, Andy is pushed to the edge and his twenty-year marriage tested. Beautiful Laura, his college sweetheart and love of his life, begins to fade in front of his eyes, crumbling under the pressure of the trial, the public accusations, and the weight of her own doubts--in her son and her husband. When truths about Andy's past comes to surface, he must chose between the life he thought he'd left behind, and the father he wants to be.

Defending Jacob raises the question: how far would you go to protect your family? But it also leaves you wondering if anyone could answer that question, and whether we really know what we're capable of when push comes to shove.

Let's pray we never have to find out.

Featured Guest Review: Phillip Margolin on Defending Jacob

Phillip Margolin has been a Peace Corps Volunteer, a school teacher, and is the author of 15 New York Times bestsellers. He spent a quarter century as a criminal defense attorney during which he handled thirty homicide cases, including twelve death penalty cases, and argued at the United States Supreme Court. He is a co-founder of Chess for Success, a non-profit that uses chess to teach elementary school children study skills. His latest novel, Capitol Murder will be released in April, 2012.

One perk of being a bestselling author is that you are sent advance reading copies (ARCs) of books by first time authors, or published authors whose editors believe have written a breakout novel. The ARC is sent by the writer's editor in hopes that you will write a "blurb," which is a sentence or two praising the book that can be used in advertisements. The books I blurb range from fun reads to very good reads. Then there is the rare book that knocks my socks off. William Landay's Defending Jacob is one of these gems. It is a legal thriller, but so are To Kill a Mocking Bird, Snow Falling on Cedars and Anatomy of a Murder. Defending Jacob, like these classics, separates itself from the pack because it is also a searing work of literary fiction.

At the heart of Landay's exceptional novel is a parent's worst nightmare. Assistant district attorney Andy Barber, his wife, Laurie, and their teenage son, Jacob, are living an idyllic existence in a middle class Massachusetts suburb until one of Jacob's classmates is stabbed to death in the picturesque park where the locals jog, walk their dogs and picnic. It soon becomes clear that Jacob is the prime suspect and the Barbers have to confront the possibility that the child they have doted from birth may be a sociopathic killer.

Andy takes a forced leave of absence from his job and helps defend the son he loves from a charge he cannot believe is true. Is he engaging in self-deception? How far will he go to protect his family? Laurie wonders if something she did as a parent has created a monster and her guilt destroys her. And then there is Jacob. Is he a typical angst filled teenager or a psychopathic monster? Landay skillfully keeps the reader guessing about Jacob's culpability and true nature up to the shocking final chapters.

What makes Defending Jacob special is the way Landay gives the reader the twists, turns and surprises found in the best legal thrillers while making its centerpiece the tragedy faced by a normal family who are thrust into a nightmare.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:07 -0400)

Andy Barber has been an assistant district attorney in his suburban Massachusetts county for more than twenty years. When a shocking crime shatters their New England town, Andy is blindsided by what happens next: his fourteen-year-old son is charged with the murder of a fellow student. As the crisis reveals how little a father knows about his son, Andy will face a trial of his own-- between loyalty and justice, between truth and allegation, between a past he's tried to bury and a future he cannot conceive.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Defending Jacob by William Landay was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,102,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible