A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison

A Walk Across the Sun

by Corban Addison

English (24)  Dutch (1)  All languages (25)
A Walk Across the Sun is probably one of the best books that I have read. Two teenage sisters are the only surviving family members after a tsunami hit India. This book is about the trials and triumphs of their rescue, survival and rescue once more. Very well written. Each page kept me wanting to read on to find out what happens to these girls. I read this book while travelling the maritime provinces and had a very hard time choosing whether to look at the scenery or read. A very heart warming story. ( )
  rebecca.g | Sep 13, 2014 |
Truly amazing book. This is a heartbreaking story of two young Indian girls who lose their entire family in a monsoon and quickly find out how cruel and terrible the world can be.
The story tracks the girls as well as the NGO trying to bring traffickers to justice. The book is not at all explicit, but it is difficukt to read at times when you realize this may be a fictional story, but the subject matter is real, and these things are happening. It is also a story filled with love, conviction and hope.

Truly thought-provoking, it shines a light on human sex trafficking and opens your eyes to a horrible reality. It spurred me into doing some research and trying to find out what I could do to try to help. ( )
  TracyCampbell | Aug 20, 2014 |
This is a gem of a book, a rare work of fiction about violence, control and profit, a captivating eye opener to the existing horrors of human trafficking. The story is all about young people who are bought and sold for sex.

This chilling and heart-wrenching tale follows the terrifying journey of two traditional upper middle class South Indian sisters after a tsunami hit the coast of the Tamilnadu shores and drowned the entire family sparing the two teenage girls. Left on their own the girls are soon swept up by ruthless sex-traffickers who sold them as commodities. After reading this story you may agree with me that the greed, the indifference and cruelty truly changes one’s perspective regarding the various aspects of the sex trade. This book is thought provoking in many ways.

The story is not all bleak it also emphasizes on the tenacity of love, the power of conviction and the bonds of family. The sub-plot involves an American attorney whose life is falling apart and decided to travel to India to rescue and rehabilitate young girls from the brothels of Mumbai. His path eventually crosses those of the two girls…..

Even if the subject matter involves sex and violence we are spare the gory details and horror of the sex trade and I found that I was easily drawn into the gripping development till the story line provided a breath of relief at the end. Yes, it’s grim but not painful to read and I found I was soon in the grip of a story filled with charming characters of all kind. The author use of written imagery is intense and vividly portrays both the beauty of India and its culture and the excruciating despair of the brothels.

“A Walk Across the Sun” is very interesting, captivating and worth reading. ( )
  Tigerpaw70 | Jun 8, 2014 |
Two young girls are left homeless after a tsunami destroys their village killing their parents. The girls set off by foot to go to their school, they are accosted and kidnapped into human trafficking. Although a heartbreaking subject, I do feel that this is a crime we need to understand better. The resolution is gentle, so I did not find the book overly painful. Bobbie ( )
  Mladies | Oct 30, 2013 |
A bit boring at first but it picks up. I thought it would be predictable but in the end it wasn't. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more by this author in the future. ( )
  MerryMeerkat | Sep 26, 2013 |
The sea was quiet at first light on the morning their world fell apart.

When a tsunami rages through their coastal town in India, 17-year-old Ahalya Ghai and her 15-year-old sister Sita are left orphaned and homeless. With almost everyone they know suddenly erased from the face of the earth, the girls set out for the convent where they attend school. They are abducted almost immediately and sold to a Mumbai brothel owner, beginning a hellish descent into the bowels of the sex trade.

Halfway across the world, Washington, D.C., attorney Thomas Clarke faces his own personal and professional crisis-and makes the fateful decision to pursue a pro bono sabbatical working in India for an NGO that prosecutes the subcontinent's human traffickers. There, his conscience awakens as he sees firsthand the horrors of the trade in human flesh, and the corrupt judicial system that fosters it. Learning of the fate of Ahalya and Sita, Clarke makes it his personal mission to rescue them, setting the stage for a riveting showdown with an international network of ruthless criminals.

When a tsunami rages through their coastal town in India, 17-year-old Ahalya Ghai and her 15-year-old sister Sita are left orphaned and homeless. As they struggle to reach the safe haven of the convent where they attend school, they are abducted by humantraffickers and thrust into a hidden world of sexual violence and illicit commerce, where the most valuable prize is the innocence of a child. Halfway across the world, in Washington, D.C., attorney Thomas Clarke faces his own personal and professional crises. Haunted by the tragic death of his infant daughter and estranged from his wife, he makes the fateful decision to pursue a pro bono sabbatical in India with an NGO that prosecutes the subcontinent's human traffickers. In Mumbai, his conscience awakens as he sees firsthand the horrors of the sex trade and the corrupt judicial system that fosters it. When he learns the fate of Ahalya and Sita, Clarke makes it his personal mission to rescue them, setting the stage for a deadly showdown with an international network of ruthless criminals. Spanning three continents and two cultures, this story chronicles an unforgettable journey through the underworld of modern slavery and into the darkest and most resilient corners of the human heart.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,977,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible