Songs of Love & Death by Gardner Dozois

Songs of Love & Death

by Gardner Dozois (Editor), George R. R. Martin (Editor)

Other authors: Peter S. Beagle (Contributor), Jo Beverley (Contributor), Jim Butcher (Contributor), Jacqueline Carey (Contributor), Diana Gabaldon (Contributor)12 more, Neil Gaiman (Contributor), Yasmine Galenorn (Contributor), M. L. N. Hanover (Contributor), Robin Hobb (Contributor), Cecelia Holland (Contributor), Tanith Lee (Contributor), Marjorie M. Liu (Contributor), Mary Jo Putney (Contributor), Linnea Sinclair (Contributor), Melinda M. Snodgrass (Contributor), Lisa Tuttle (Contributor), Carrie Vaughn (Contributor)

Series: Kushiel's Legacy (Short story "You and You Alone"), Outlander (short story "Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows"), Realm of the Elderlings (Short story "Blue Boots"), Imperials (Short Story "The Wayfarer's Advice")

This was a great anthology! I was familiar with several of the authors in it, so I thought I would give it a try.

I was a little disappointed in Jim Butcher's story. I've only read the first Dresden Files novel, and maybe the disappointment comes from not being very familiar with the characters. It seemed mostly like a tease. The actual story parts of it (the two characters are solving a case/mystery) were very entertaining, though.

M.L.N. Hanover's "Hurt Me" was probably the best story in the anthology. I was preparing for a haunted house story where the woman falls in love with the ghost, but... it did not go anywhere near like I expected. I also enjoyed the twist on the theme, though the pair weren't technically "star-crossed lovers" that way. I wish there had been one or two more stories of love gone wrong like this.

Robin Hobb's story was also quite good, and felt more developed than the others. The whole thing read like a cautionary tale though, and I was disappointed it didn't go darker places. Some parts of this were pretty dark, though. It also reminded me a bit of "In the Name of the Wind," but probably only because of the bard and the nomadic murder.

Neil Gaiman's story was contemporary, and had a very clever ending. I was waiting for the punchline the whole time, but was not expecting that. Cute.

I mostly bought the collection to read "You, and You Alone" by Jacqueline Carey. It matched the theme the best, was the only story that had homosexual lovers, and was as lovely as I had hoped. Made me want to re-read Kushiel's Dart.

Mary Jo Putney's story was sweet, and I enjoyed it all the way through, even though it was pretty clear where it was going.

Tanith Lee... I've not read her before, and her story was strange to the point that I almost didn't understand it. But it was ambitious, and quite lovely. I intend to pick up one of her novels.

I'd also read the first three Outlander books this year, so I was looking forward to "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows." I enjoyed the fact it wasn't connected very firmly to Outlander, and it told a nice story within the confines of the series' magic. I didn't realize who the characters were until the end, so I didn't know how it would end. I also didn't realize I should have been further along in the series...

There were two sci-fi stories that didn't really feel like they belonged. The only other two stories I disliked were the Peter S. Beagle story near the end (the "computer magic" in it was a little too ill-defined for me) and the weird superhero thing by Carrie Vaughn near the beginning.

Overall, I loved the collection. My last foray into a multi-author short story anthology like this was very poor, so I was glad I picked this up and got stories from several authors I like, and a few more I plan on trying. ( )
  ConnieJo | Jan 3, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this anthology and am going to post some of the specifics about a few of the stories, but not all of them, that would make for an incredibly long review. I enjoyed the theme of this anthology (being star-crossed lovers) and I enjoyed meeting new characters and learning things about some of my favorite characters I did not know. I hope you enjoy it as well....

Love Hurts by: Jim Butcher

This was a cute, short, pretty easy and flowing story. I found it a tad bit shocking because of the two ‘star crossed lovers’ but Jim Butcher wrote it well. I love his writing, very humorous.

The Marrying Maid by: Jo Beverly

I did not like this story. It seemed to squish to many legends, myths, and just stuff into one tiny story and I did not like how adamant she was not to be with him and he was trying to force her and the whole “ok, why not” at the end. Annoyed me.

Rooftops by: Carrie Vaughn

This was interesting and uninteresting at the same time. I didn’t feel a connection to Charlotte at all but I liked the concept of a story about a masked avenger who is a normal man in a world full of superheros. Overall, ok, wish I could connect to the characters better.

Hurt Me by: M.L.N. Hanover

WOW! This story is creepy, twisted, and just awesome! I know it sounds weird but I don’t think I have ever read a story quite like this one. I love the darkness of the story and the way the author just takes it to a whole other level. Very good story!

Demon Lover by: Cecelia Holland

This was an interesting story. It was much like a fairy tale...well I think it was a fairy tale, a dark one. I enjoyed the intricacies of the story and would have loved to see a longer one. I think it would have made a great novel, romance perhaps. I enjoyed it.

More stories in this anthology are....

The Wayfarer’s Advice by: Melinda Snodgrass
The Demon Dancer by: Mary Jo Putney
Under/Above the Water by: Tanith Lee
Kaskia by: Peter S Beagle
Man in the Mirror by: Yasmine Galenorn
A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows by: Diana Gabaldon ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I picked this up primarily for the Diana Gabaldon story, but there were a lot of excellent stories here, especially "Hurt Me" and of course Gaiman's. ( )
  ashleyk44 | Jul 8, 2014 |
I picked this up because it has stories in a few series that I love: Dresden Files, Kushiel, and Outlander. Plus a Neil Gaiman story. It had some ups and downs. "The Marrying Maid" was insanely bad. Just unbelievably terrible. "You, and You Alone" and "The Thing About Cassandra" were both fantastic. More good than bad overall.

"Love Hurts" by Jim Butcher - Harry and Murphy need to get to the bottom of some freaky love magic. Not bad, but not exceptional. I think I just don't care for Harry and Murphy together... 3 stars.

"The Marrying Maid" by Jo Beverley - Ugh. She's his soul mate, and he will literally die if she doesn't sleep with him right now... This story is so rapey! I will make sure to avoid this author in the future. 0.5 stars.

"Rooftops" by Carrie Vaughn - Superhero romance! Light, but fun. 3.5 stars.

"Hurt Me" by M.L.N. Hanover - Great haunted house story. And apparently the writer is one of the people who wrote Leviathan Wakes, which my boyfriend has been bugging me to read! 4.5 stars.

"Demon Lover" by Cecelia Holland - Fantasy, heavy on the mythology. Predictable, but not bad. 3.5 stars.

"The Wayfarer's Advice" by Melinda M. Snodgrass - Star ships and intergalactic war. Decent story, but nothing exceptional. 2.5 stars.

"Blue Boots" by Robin Hobb - Generically historical, but good. 3.5 stars.

"The Thing About Cassandra" by Neil Gaiman - Brilliant and weird. 4.5 stars.

"After the Blood" by Marjorie M. Liu - How could I not love a post-apocalyptic story about an Amish vampire! 4.5 stars.

"You, and You Alone" by Jacqueline Carey - Delauney's backstory! I'll admit that I cried a bit. Coming right after [Song of Achilles], all the allusions to Patroclus and Achilles made me even more emotional. 5 stars.

"His Wolf" by Lisa Tuttle - Contemporary fantasy set in the southwest. 4 stars.

"Courting Trouble" by Linnea Sinclair - Scifi. I just couldn't bring myself to care about this story... 2 stars.

"The Demon Dancer" by Mary Jo Putney - Urban fantasy. It started good, but then dragged on. 2.5 stars.

"Under/Above the Water" by Tanith Lee - Aren't short stories supposed to be short? It felt like this one went on forever! 1 star.

"Kaskia" by Peter S. Beagle - My first Peter S. Beagle! I've been meaning to check him out for a while. This was a really good story with an honestly surprising twist. 4.5 stars.

"Man in the Mirror" by Yasmine Galenorn - This one has some a lot of similar themes to the other haunted house story in this collection, but it's also really good. 4 stars.

"A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows" by Diana Gabaldon - I stopped reading the Outlander series midway through the fifth book, partially because I found Roger and Brianna incredibly irritating. I was worried I wouldn't like this because it's Roger's backstory, but it's actually quite lovely. It hints and things that must happen after I stopped reading, and now I'm curious. Maybe I'll give it another try... 4.5 stars. ( )
  ryvre | May 24, 2014 |
Favorites:
The Wayfarer's Advice by Melinda M. Snodgrass
Blue Boots by Robin Hobb
A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows by Diana Gabaldon ( )
  lgildersleeve | May 10, 2014 |

Sinclair, LinneaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snodgrass, Melinda M.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tuttle, LisaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vaughn, CarrieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The earliest reference we can find for the phrase "star-crossed lovers" traces it to 1595, attributing it to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, a tragedy about the doomed romance that blossoms between a young man and a young woman on the brawling streets of Verona, a romance that is destined to fail because the families they come from are locked in a deadly feud: "From forth the fatal loins of these two foes, / a pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life."

Anthology of 17 short stories by different authors.

Contains:

Under/Above the Water by Tanith Lee
Kaskia by Peter S. Beagle
Man in the Mirror by Yasmine Galenorn
A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows by Diana Gabaldon

Presents a collection of original tales that explores crossover themes of romance, fantasy, and science fiction, with contributions by such genre authors as Tanith Lee, Jo Beverly, Jim Butcher, and Neil Gaiman.

204 wanted1 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,912,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible