Songs of Love & Death by Gardner Dozois

Songs of Love & Death

by Gardner Dozois (Editor), George R. R. Martin (Editor)

Other authors: Peter S. Beagle (Contributor), Jo Beverley (Contributor), Jim Butcher (Contributor), Jacqueline Carey (Contributor), Diana Gabaldon (Contributor)12 more, Neil Gaiman (Contributor), Yasmine Galenorn (Contributor), M. L. N. Hanover (Contributor), Robin Hobb (Contributor), Cecelia Holland (Contributor), Tanith Lee (Contributor), Marjorie M. Liu (Contributor), Mary Jo Putney (Contributor), Linnea Sinclair (Contributor), Melinda M. Snodgrass (Contributor), Lisa Tuttle (Contributor), Carrie Vaughn (Contributor)

Series: Kushiel's Legacy (Short story "You and You Alone"), Outlander (short story "Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows")

Was disappointed to find that the Dresden offering was a repeat from another book. I only read the authors that I've read in the past. Their stories were pretty good. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
A collection of short stories about star crossed lovers. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Just read a few stories inside, Neil Gaiman's, Diana Gabaldon's and Peter S Beagle's. ( )
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this anthology and am going to post some of the specifics about a few of the stories, but not all of them, that would make for an incredibly long review. I enjoyed the theme of this anthology (being star-crossed lovers) and I enjoyed meeting new characters and learning things about some of my favorite characters I did not know. I hope you enjoy it as well....

Love Hurts by: Jim Butcher

This was a cute, short, pretty easy and flowing story. I found it a tad bit shocking because of the two ‘star crossed lovers’ but Jim Butcher wrote it well. I love his writing, very humorous.

The Marrying Maid by: Jo Beverly

I did not like this story. It seemed to squish to many legends, myths, and just stuff into one tiny story and I did not like how adamant she was not to be with him and he was trying to force her and the whole “ok, why not” at the end. Annoyed me.

Rooftops by: Carrie Vaughn

This was interesting and uninteresting at the same time. I didn’t feel a connection to Charlotte at all but I liked the concept of a story about a masked avenger who is a normal man in a world full of superheros. Overall, ok, wish I could connect to the characters better.

Hurt Me by: M.L.N. Hanover

WOW! This story is creepy, twisted, and just awesome! I know it sounds weird but I don’t think I have ever read a story quite like this one. I love the darkness of the story and the way the author just takes it to a whole other level. Very good story!

Demon Lover by: Cecelia Holland

This was an interesting story. It was much like a fairy tale...well I think it was a fairy tale, a dark one. I enjoyed the intricacies of the story and would have loved to see a longer one. I think it would have made a great novel, romance perhaps. I enjoyed it.

More stories in this anthology are....

The Wayfarer’s Advice by: Melinda Snodgrass
The Demon Dancer by: Mary Jo Putney
Under/Above the Water by: Tanith Lee
Kaskia by: Peter S Beagle
Man in the Mirror by: Yasmine Galenorn
A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows by: Diana Gabaldon ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |

Sinclair, LinneaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snodgrass, Melinda M.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tuttle, LisaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vaughn, CarrieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The earliest reference we can find for the phrase "star-crossed lovers" traces it to 1595, attributing it to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, a tragedy about the doomed romance that blossoms between a young man and a young woman on the brawling streets of Verona, a romance that is destined to fail because the families they come from are locked in a deadly feud: "From forth the fatal loins of these two foes, / a pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life."

Anthology of 17 short stories by different authors.

Contains:

Under/Above the Water by Tanith Lee
Kaskia by Peter S. Beagle
Man in the Mirror by Yasmine Galenorn
A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows by Diana Gabaldon

Presents a collection of original tales that explores crossover themes of romance, fantasy, and science fiction, with contributions by such genre authors as Tanith Lee, Jo Beverly, Jim Butcher, and Neil Gaiman.

191 wanted1 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,051,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible