Songs of Love & Death by Gardner Dozois

Songs of Love & Death

by Gardner Dozois (Editor), George R. R. Martin (Editor)

Other authors: Peter S. Beagle (Contributor), Jo Beverley (Contributor), Jim Butcher (Contributor), Jacqueline Carey (Contributor), Diana Gabaldon (Contributor)12 more, Neil Gaiman (Contributor), Yasmine Galenorn (Contributor), M. L. N. Hanover (Contributor), Robin Hobb (Contributor), Cecelia Holland (Contributor), Tanith Lee (Contributor), Marjorie M. Liu (Contributor), Mary Jo Putney (Contributor), Linnea Sinclair (Contributor), Melinda M. Snodgrass (Contributor), Lisa Tuttle (Contributor), Carrie Vaughn (Contributor)

Series: Kushiel's Legacy (Short story "You and You Alone"), Outlander ("Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows" 8.1), Realm of the Elderlings (Short story "Blue Boots")

I really enjoyed this anthology and am going to post some of the specifics about a few of the stories, but not all of them, that would make for an incredibly long review. I enjoyed the theme of this anthology (being star-crossed lovers) and I enjoyed meeting new characters and learning things about some of my favorite characters I did not know. I hope you enjoy it as well....

Love Hurts by: Jim Butcher

This was a cute, short, pretty easy and flowing story. I found it a tad bit shocking because of the two ‘star crossed lovers’ but Jim Butcher wrote it well. I love his writing, very humorous.

The Marrying Maid by: Jo Beverly

I did not like this story. It seemed to squish to many legends, myths, and just stuff into one tiny story and I did not like how adamant she was not to be with him and he was trying to force her and the whole “ok, why not” at the end. Annoyed me.

Rooftops by: Carrie Vaughn

This was interesting and uninteresting at the same time. I didn’t feel a connection to Charlotte at all but I liked the concept of a story about a masked avenger who is a normal man in a world full of superheros. Overall, ok, wish I could connect to the characters better.

Hurt Me by: M.L.N. Hanover

WOW! This story is creepy, twisted, and just awesome! I know it sounds weird but I don’t think I have ever read a story quite like this one. I love the darkness of the story and the way the author just takes it to a whole other level. Very good story!

Demon Lover by: Cecelia Holland

This was an interesting story. It was much like a fairy tale...well I think it was a fairy tale, a dark one. I enjoyed the intricacies of the story and would have loved to see a longer one. I think it would have made a great novel, romance perhaps. I enjoyed it.

More stories in this anthology are....

The Wayfarer’s Advice by: Melinda Snodgrass
The Demon Dancer by: Mary Jo Putney
Under/Above the Water by: Tanith Lee
Kaskia by: Peter S Beagle
Man in the Mirror by: Yasmine Galenorn
A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows by: Diana Gabaldon ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I picked this up primarily for the Diana Gabaldon story, but there were a lot of excellent stories here, especially "Hurt Me" and of course Gaiman's. ( )
  ashleyk44 | Jul 8, 2014 |
I picked this up because it has stories in a few series that I love: Dresden Files, Kushiel, and Outlander. Plus a Neil Gaiman story. It had some ups and downs. "The Marrying Maid" was insanely bad. Just unbelievably terrible. "You, and You Alone" and "The Thing About Cassandra" were both fantastic. More good than bad overall.

"Love Hurts" by Jim Butcher - Harry and Murphy need to get to the bottom of some freaky love magic. Not bad, but not exceptional. I think I just don't care for Harry and Murphy together... 3 stars.

"The Marrying Maid" by Jo Beverley - Ugh. She's his soul mate, and he will literally die if she doesn't sleep with him right now... This story is so rapey! I will make sure to avoid this author in the future. 0.5 stars.

"Rooftops" by Carrie Vaughn - Superhero romance! Light, but fun. 3.5 stars.

"Hurt Me" by M.L.N. Hanover - Great haunted house story. And apparently the writer is one of the people who wrote Leviathan Wakes, which my boyfriend has been bugging me to read! 4.5 stars.

"Demon Lover" by Cecelia Holland - Fantasy, heavy on the mythology. Predictable, but not bad. 3.5 stars.

"The Wayfarer's Advice" by Melinda M. Snodgrass - Star ships and intergalactic war. Decent story, but nothing exceptional. 2.5 stars.

"Blue Boots" by Robin Hobb - Generically historical, but good. 3.5 stars.

"The Thing About Cassandra" by Neil Gaiman - Brilliant and weird. 4.5 stars.

"After the Blood" by Marjorie M. Liu - How could I not love a post-apocalyptic story about an Amish vampire! 4.5 stars.

"You, and You Alone" by Jacqueline Carey - Delauney's backstory! I'll admit that I cried a bit. Coming right after [Song of Achilles], all the allusions to Patroclus and Achilles made me even more emotional. 5 stars.

"His Wolf" by Lisa Tuttle - Contemporary fantasy set in the southwest. 4 stars.

"Courting Trouble" by Linnea Sinclair - Scifi. I just couldn't bring myself to care about this story... 2 stars.

"The Demon Dancer" by Mary Jo Putney - Urban fantasy. It started good, but then dragged on. 2.5 stars.

"Under/Above the Water" by Tanith Lee - Aren't short stories supposed to be short? It felt like this one went on forever! 1 star.

"Kaskia" by Peter S. Beagle - My first Peter S. Beagle! I've been meaning to check him out for a while. This was a really good story with an honestly surprising twist. 4.5 stars.

"Man in the Mirror" by Yasmine Galenorn - This one has some a lot of similar themes to the other haunted house story in this collection, but it's also really good. 4 stars.

"A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows" by Diana Gabaldon - I stopped reading the Outlander series midway through the fifth book, partially because I found Roger and Brianna incredibly irritating. I was worried I wouldn't like this because it's Roger's backstory, but it's actually quite lovely. It hints and things that must happen after I stopped reading, and now I'm curious. Maybe I'll give it another try... 4.5 stars. ( )
  ryvre | May 24, 2014 |
Favorites:
The Wayfarer's Advice by Melinda M. Snodgrass
Blue Boots by Robin Hobb
A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows by Diana Gabaldon ( )
  lgildersleeve | May 10, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois have collected a nice batch of all-new stories from an all-star cast in Songs of Love and Death. The theme is "star-crossed lovers," and as you might guess from the title, each tale is a love story, and many are death stories, too. Some are sad, some are sexy, and one or two are slightly sappy. Overall, I enjoyed the collection. Here's what you'll find in Songs of Love and Death:

-- "Love Hurts" by Jim Butcher may be the story Harry Dresden's fans have been waiting for because it looks like Harry and Murphy will finally get together... or will they?
-- In "The Marrying Maid," historical romance author Jo Beverley provides a Regency romance in which a court fop tries to seduce a practical spinster, but this time there's a fairy legend that's spurring him on.
-- In "Rooftops" by Carrie Vaughn, a young playwright who's nervous about her opening night is rescued by a mysterious masked superhero. She has a boyfriend, but she just can't get that masked stranger off her mind.
-- "Hurt Me" by M.L.N. Hanover is an excellently eerie haunted house story. One of the best in this collection.
-- "Demon Lover" by historical fiction writer Cecelia Holland is an erotic fairy tale. Though it was obvious where this one was going, it was still entertaining.
-- In "The Wayfarer's Advice" by Melinda M. Snodgrass, the captain of an illicit spaceship rescues the heiress of an empire.
-- I'm always a fan of Robin Hobb, so it's not surprising that "Blue Boots" was one of my favorites in this collection. It takes place in Buck Town and tells the story of a kitchen maid who falls in love with a wandering minstrel.
-- "The Thing About Cassandra" by Neil Gaiman is a strange story about a man who meets his imaginary girlfriend. This one was kind of mind-blowing, which means I liked it.
-- "After the Blood" by Marjorie M. Liu involves a vampire trying to survive in a zombie-infested backwater Amish farm community. I couldn't finish it.
-- Jacqueline Carey fans will not want to miss "You, and You Alone" which takes place during that tragic scene in Kushiel's Dart when Anafiel Delaunay is assassinated. As he lies dying, he reminisces about Edm??e, Rolande, Isabel, and Alcuin and gives us a lot of backstory that has only been hinted at until now.
-- In "His Wolf" by Lisa Tuttle, a new college professor falls in love with a drug dealer and his pet wolf. I had a hard time believing in that romance.
-- Linnea Sinclair's "Courting Trouble" is a fun space romp. The sweet romance in this story particularly touched me, but if I told you why, I'd be spoiling the plot.
-- "The Demon Dancer" by Mary Jo Putney is about a Guardian who needs to stop a succubus who's running wild in New York City. I didn't like this one. The romance was icky, and some parts of the plot required a degree of suspension of disbelief that I couldn't muster.
-- "Under/Above the Water" by Tanith Lee is a beautiful mysterious legend about an ancient king's unfaithful wife and their underwater kingdom.
-- In "Kaskia" by Peter S. Beagle, an unhappy middle-aged man makes first contact with a beautiful alien on his new laptop computer. This story was fascinating and excellently written and reminds me why I keep thinking "I must read more Peter S. Beagle!"
-- "Man in the Mirror" by Yasmine Galenorn is another haunted house story. I liked the premise, but the romance was hard to swallow.
-- "A Leaf in the Wind of All Hallows" by Diana Gabaldon is a heart-wrenching story that her fans are sure to love since it's linked to her popular OUTLANDER series. I really can't wait to read that.

Brilliance Audio has a very good production of Songs of Love and Death which is read by a small cast of narrators. My only complaint is that Phil Gigante has only one female voice and it's not suitable for the wide variety of women he portrays. He does a great job with male voices, though.

There were a few weak stories in Songs of Love and Death, but some excellent ones, too. Don't miss the stories by M.L.N. Hanover, Robin Hobb, Neil Gaiman, Jacqueline Carey, Tanith Lee, Peter S. Beagle, and Diana Gabaldon. Fans of the DRESDEN FILES should not miss Butcher's story. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Sinclair, LinneaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snodgrass, Melinda M.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tuttle, LisaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vaughn, CarrieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The earliest reference we can find for the phrase "star-crossed lovers" traces it to 1595, attributing it to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, a tragedy about the doomed romance that blossoms between a young man and a young woman on the brawling streets of Verona, a romance that is destined to fail because the families they come from are locked in a deadly feud: "From forth the fatal loins of these two foes, / a pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life."

Anthology of 17 short stories by different authors.

Contains:

Under/Above the Water by Tanith Lee
Kaskia by Peter S. Beagle
Man in the Mirror by Yasmine Galenorn
A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows by Diana Gabaldon

Presents a collection of original tales that explores crossover themes of romance, fantasy, and science fiction, with contributions by such genre authors as Tanith Lee, Jo Beverly, Jim Butcher, and Neil Gaiman.

225 wanted1 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,352,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible