There should be more dancing by Rosalie Ham

There should be more dancing (edition 2012)

by Rosalie Ham

Member:jeniwren
Title:There should be more dancing
Authors:Rosalie Ham
Info:North Sydney, N.S.W. : Random House Australia, 2012.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, ANZLit, 2012

There should be more dancing by Rosalie Ham

Margery Blandon, widowed and mother of Walter, Morris and Judith, lives alone in her home of 60 years. The neighbourhood is changing and Judith and her husband think it is time for her to move in to an old folks home. Judith is resistant and has the support of her home help Anita and son Walter. Things become complicated and Margery realises she has been living a lie when Anita moves her own mother Florence in with Margery.
Although, many of these characters are larger than life, there is a ring of truth to this tale and I found myself wanting to know how the situation would be resolved. ( )
  HelenBaker | Jan 21, 2013 |
There are some aspects of this book that appeal to me; the main one being the "aging parent problem". I too have an aging mother who takes the same drugs as the main character and shares many of the same problems. However, despite that connection I didn't feel at home in this book. I found the story to be too contrived, the characters too superficial and stereotyped, and the humour was not amusing to me. Of course, I'm aware that I would possibly level exactly the same criticisms at Jane Austen! So I'm not saying Ham isn't a good writer; I'm just saying her writing doesn't suit me. It's more the case that I'm not a good reader!!

To me this book read like a script to a TV series with a whole lot of short scenes and lots of action and snappy, brief dialog. But I'm not much of a TV watcher and I need to be able to contemplate a situation and see it from different perspectives. I'm probably just not smart enough for the writing of Rosalie Ham. (What I'd really like is to sit down with jeniwren - who passed the book on to me - and discuss it over a cup of coffee or two in a south coast coffee shop. I suspect we'd quickly move on to other topics, but maybe not. ) ( )
  oldblack | Jan 18, 2013 |
I loved this author's first novel 'The Dressmaker' on its release for its quirky and eccentric characterisations. I came to this one as it was scheduled for my bookgroup as our lighter end of the year fiction read. This one has an urban setting and features the first person narration of Margery who is dealing with family who would like to see her whisked off to a nursing home. Margery has lived a quiet life in a Brunswick Street taking wisdom from desktop calender quotations and spends her days doing crossstitch. This is ultimately a tale about old age , regrets and a life blighted by tragedy and an unhappy marriage. A sad and at times funny tale filled with characters that are probably all too familiar. ( )
  jeniwren | Dec 18, 2012 |
Always love Hammy's books, she is a fine storyteller. The Brunswick setting, the elderly characters and their disfunctional family secrets were all very real. Only criticism was that there were so many characters that it was hard to get a handle on them all in the first few chapters. I did like the structure of Majorie's first person account and the broader narrative of what happened each day. ( )
  siri51 | Jul 11, 2011 |

Margery Blandon was always a principled woman who found guidance from the wisdom of desktop calendars. She lived quietly in Gold Street, Brunswick for 60 years until events drove her to the 43rd floor of the Tropic Hotel. As she waits for the crowds in the atrium far below to disperse, she contemplates what went wrong; her best friend kept an astonishing secret from her and she can't trust the home help. It's possible her firstborn son has betrayed her, that her second son, Morris, might have committed a crime, her only daughter is trying to kill her and her dead sister Cecily helped her to this, her final downfall. Even worse, it seems Margery's life-long neighbour and enemy now demented always knew the truth. There Should be More Dancing is a story of Margery's reckonings on loyalty, grief and love.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible