The War of the Worlds Illustrated Classics…

The War of the Worlds Illustrated Classics Editions (original 1898; edition 1983)

by H G Wells

Member:benlaverriere
Title:The War of the Worlds Illustrated Classics Editions
Authors:H G Wells
Info:Playmore Inc (1983), Paperback

The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (1898)

The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (clif_hiker)
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (Patangel)
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (Morteana)
    Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: La place de l'Homme au sommet de la hiérarchie pensante est précaire.
    The Hopkins Manuscript by R. C. Sherriff (chrisharpe)
    The Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher (ecureuil)
    Two Planets by Kurd Lasswitz (jannis)
    Far Rainbow/The Second Invasion from Mars by Arkady Strugatsky (leigonj)
    leigonj: 'The Second Invasion from Mars' describes the Martians' renewed efforts to conquer by other means. Clever. Styles and stories are very different however.
    War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches by Kevin J. Anderson (Hedgepeth)
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (chrisharpe)
1890s (17)

English (196)  French (5)  Spanish (4)  Danish (4)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All (212)
It took me over a hundred years but I finally got around to reading this novel.
Wells certainly had an incredible imagination and this novel is a fine example of that. At times I found it hard to believe this was written so long ago. Seemed a lot less dated than most books from that era.
I enjoyed the story and I am sorry it took me so long to read it. ( )
  antrat1965 | Apr 7, 2017 |
The War of the Worlds is a classic alien invasion novel written by H. G. Wells. I think it would be difficult for a present-day science fiction reader to be completely blown away by this book when we’ve inevitably read or watched many similar types of stories. However, it was still entertaining and it held my interest well with only the occasional dry spot.

I think what helped the story feel more “fresh” to me was the time period. It’s set at around the same time as it was written – in the late 1800’s. Most of the older science fiction books I’ve read have been set in the “future” as imagined by the author. With this book, I had the fun of visiting a time period I don’t often see in my science fiction reading. Since the author was living in that time period, it felt pretty authentic. That, combined with the matter-of-fact tone the story is written in, almost made it feel like I was reading about a historical event that they forgot to teach us in school. :) The technology of the time played a definite role in how things played out, particularly in terms of the limited transportation and communication options.

The writing style, as I said before, was very matter-of-fact. It was written as a first-person account of events, focusing mainly on the events the narrator experienced. There are also a couple chapters that tell part of his brother’s story to expand the view of what happened in areas further away from the narrator.

Although the story held my interest, there were certain aspects of it that I wasn’t thrilled with, and that I tend to complain about when they come up in other books. This book has those one-dimensionally evil, invading aliens that never hold too much interest for me. There’s also a bit of that “run, find refuge, danger approaches again, run again” circular pattern that I usually find tedious. I wasn’t as bothered by these things in this book, though. I think that was a combination of how short the book is, combined with the interesting time period in which it was set which added a different element to the story than what I’m used to reading. ( )
2 vote YouKneeK | Mar 15, 2017 |
This classic tale of men from Mars may not be as bone-chilling as the Orson Welles broadcast, but there still is plenty of suspense. More detailed than the movies, this gripping tale of survival that ends almost at the point of giving up is one that shouldn’t be missed. How much can a man take? How long before he thinks it’s better to just give up and die? These are questions that this story raises. Thought-provoking as well as entertaining. ( )
  Maydacat | Feb 9, 2017 |
3.5 stars bumped up to 4. I did enjoy this, but sometimes it seemed like his writing dragged a little. That could just be something to do with me though. I'd still like to read some more of his books. Now I'll need to watch one of the film adaptations ( )
  Gaiagirlie | Jan 12, 2017 |
This was really amazing, I have to say. Kind of glad I read it as an adult and not in high school. The juxtaposition of the extra-terrestrials and the ordinary English landscape was very effective and I found myself distressed at various points of the novel - the red weed, the black ooze.

It also seemed eerily prescient - in the next century - just two or three years after Wells wrote this - the two wars would murder and displace whole populations very much like the Martians did. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |

Mr. Wells's dramatic power is of the strongest, and through "The War of the Worlds" deals with death, destruction, and ruin, he has known how to manage a terrible topic in a clever and ingenuous way.

Wells, H. G.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Santos, DomingoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sawyer, AndyNotessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, AlexanderNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The War of the Worlds & A Dream of Armageddon & The Land Ironclads. Heron Collected Works of Wells by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine / The War of the Worlds / The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells

The War of the Worlds / The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

The Collector's Book of Science Fiction by H. G. Wells by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine; The Island of Dr. Moreau; The Invisible Man; The First Men in the Moon; The Food of the Gods; In the Days of the Comet; The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

The war of the worlds, The time machine, and selected short stories by H. G. Wells

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

But who shall dwell in these worlds if they be inhabited? ... Are we or they Lords of the World? ... And how are all things made for man?-- KEPLER (quoted in The Anatomy of Melancholy)
TO
MY BROTHER
FRANK WELLS
THIS RENDERING
OF HIS IDEA
No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
This is the main work for The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. Please do not combine with any abridgements, adaptations, annotated editions, etc.
ISBN 1402552459 is an unabridged audio version of the novel

Mars attacks England.
Earth's defenses are no match,
But-- ah, ah, ACHOO!
(MJMunn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375759239, Paperback)

This is the granddaddy of all alien invasion stories, first published by H.G. Wells in 1898. The novel begins ominously, as the lone voice of a narrator tells readers that "No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's..."

Things then progress from a series of seemingly mundane reports about odd atmospheric disturbances taking place on Mars to the arrival of Martians just outside of London. At first the Martians seem laughable, hardly able to move in Earth's comparatively heavy gravity even enough to raise themselves out of the pit created when their spaceship landed. But soon the Martians reveal their true nature as death machines 100-feet tall rise up from the pit and begin laying waste to the surrounding land. Wells quickly moves the story from the countryside to the evacuation of London itself and the loss of all hope as England's military suffers defeat after defeat. With horror his narrator describes how the Martians suck the blood from living humans for sustenance, and how it's clear that man is not being conquered so much a corralled. --Craig E. Engler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:09 -0400)

H.G. Wells' late nineteenth-century novel in which an intellectually superior race from Mars invades Earth with plans to take over the planet.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441038, 0451530659, 0141199040

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,834,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible