The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

The War of the Worlds (original 1898; edition 2005)

by H.G. Wells

Title:The War of the Worlds
Authors:H.G. Wells
Info:NYRB Classics (2005), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 250 pages
Tags:Fiction, Science Fiction

The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (1898)

The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (clif_hiker)
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (Patangel)
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (Morteana)
    Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: La place de l'Homme au sommet de la hiérarchie pensante est précaire.
    The Hopkins Manuscript by R. C. Sherriff (chrisharpe)
    The Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher (ecureuil)
    Two Planets by Kurd Lasswitz (jannis)
    Far Rainbow/The Second Invasion from Mars by Arkady Strugatsky (leigonj)
    leigonj: 'The Second Invasion from Mars' describes the Martians' renewed efforts to conquer by other means. Clever. Styles and stories are very different however.
    War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches by Kevin J. Anderson (Hedgepeth)
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (chrisharpe)
1890s (17)

English (193)  French (5)  Spanish (4)  Danish (4)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (209)
I read this book on my Ipod as it was free on an app. I have seen two films of this novel and I was expecting a really great read as I really enjoyed the movies. Also it is a very short novel so it didn't take very long to read.
The story starts just as Martians invade the Earth. The story follows one man as he tries to survive and come to terms with what is happening to Earth. It is a really great idea for a novel that was written long before sci-fi was a common thing to write about.
The plot was good, it had some really good parts like all the description of the martians which must have taken some imagination to design them so fully. There were some parts that were slow because the story was retold by our main character so it wasn't a very exciting read at times.
Our main character is the narrator who never gives his name. We know some things about him but not a lot, which makes it an interesting story. He retells the character, even all the bad decisions he makes.
Overall this was a good story but it was a lot slower than the more modern novels that I normally read. Overall I rated it 3/5. ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
My dad taught me to read with a bunch of broken-spined sci-fi books, one being The War of the Worlds. Potentially problematic when you get down to the nitty gritty subject matter but it worked for us and thrust me solidly into geekdom. Thanks, Dad.

Reading it for the first time all these years later, my five stars are a bit of a hodge podge of good memories and an impression of the unique and exciting material that was produced by Wells at a time when there wasn't really anything else like it. The five stars will remain and it's officially been added to my favorites list which, let's be honest, it always was. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
This was a lovely book. I was expecting something much simpler (as I wasn't very impressed by The Time Machine), but this turned out to be very strong and interesting. First of all, who could say no to a world of aliens with scary death machines and yet also a world where they use bicycles to escape from them? (and I imagine those would be the large-wheeled curious ones, and not our typical bikes). Then, also a world in which monsters come from another planet, and yet, there is pretty much no real working airplane, quite yet. It's a marvel. For me, what was most puzzling was to try to understand just how innovative the author was to be able to imagine alien technologies almost of the same level as in today's movies, yet without all the accompanying technology we have to compare it with and get our inspiration from, when the author at that time hadn't seen any of it - quite simply because it didn't even exist yet. Can you believe that the man made up machines that have scarcely changed in fiction since his time..? That everyone a century later still writes almost about the same things, and nobody managed to quite go out of their league as much as he did? That is utterly amazing. And perhaps it's because this book was written almost in the 20th century (short of a few years, really), maybe that's why it feels so strangely contemporary.. But I still say that H.G. Wells was very far ahead of his time. ( )
  avalinah | Sep 11, 2016 |
A brilliant science fiction novel that captures well the tension in Europe of the time. With our current scientific knowledge it is relatively easy to pick holes in the plot but provided you can suspend your disbelief you are in for an enjoyable read. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jul 25, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this as an audiobook. I saw the Tom Cruise movie and so I was comparing this to the movie. I don't think I would have wanted aliens invading Earth back in the time when there was horse and buggy and no cell phones and the weaponry wasn't as sophisticated as it is now. very entertaining for a long car ride. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Mr. Wells's dramatic power is of the strongest, and through "The War of the Worlds" deals with death, destruction, and ruin, he has known how to manage a terrible topic in a clever and ingenuous way.

Wells, H. G.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Santos, DomingoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sawyer, AndyNotessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, AlexanderNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The War of the Worlds & A Dream of Armageddon & The Land Ironclads. Heron Collected Works of Wells by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine / The War of the Worlds / The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells

The War of the Worlds / The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

The Collector's Book of Science Fiction by H. G. Wells by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine; The Island of Dr. Moreau; The Invisible Man; The First Men in the Moon; The Food of the Gods; In the Days of the Comet; The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

The war of the worlds, The time machine, and selected short stories by H. G. Wells

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Has as a reference guide/companion

But who shall dwell in these worlds if they be inhabited? ... Are we or they Lords of the World? ... And how are all things made for man?-- KEPLER (quoted in The Anatomy of Melancholy)
No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
This is the main work for The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. Please do not combine with any abridgements, adaptations, annotated editions, etc.
ISBN 1402552459 is an unabridged audio version of the novel

Mars attacks England.
Earth's defenses are no match,
But-- ah, ah, ACHOO!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375759239, Paperback)

This is the granddaddy of all alien invasion stories, first published by H.G. Wells in 1898. The novel begins ominously, as the lone voice of a narrator tells readers that "No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's..."

Things then progress from a series of seemingly mundane reports about odd atmospheric disturbances taking place on Mars to the arrival of Martians just outside of London. At first the Martians seem laughable, hardly able to move in Earth's comparatively heavy gravity even enough to raise themselves out of the pit created when their spaceship landed. But soon the Martians reveal their true nature as death machines 100-feet tall rise up from the pit and begin laying waste to the surrounding land. Wells quickly moves the story from the countryside to the evacuation of London itself and the loss of all hope as England's military suffers defeat after defeat. With horror his narrator describes how the Martians suck the blood from living humans for sustenance, and how it's clear that man is not being conquered so much a corralled. --Craig E. Engler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:09 -0400)

H.G. Wells' late nineteenth-century novel in which an intellectually superior race from Mars invades Earth with plans to take over the planet.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441038, 0451530659, 0141045418, 0141199040

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,700,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible