The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

The War of the Worlds (original 1898; edition 2005)

by H.G. Wells

10,457203273 (3.74)511
Member:MadSeason
Title:The War of the Worlds
Authors:H.G. Wells
Info:NYRB Classics (2005), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 250 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Science Fiction

The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (1898)

The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (clif_hiker)
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (Patangel)
    The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells (sturlington)
    Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: La place de l'Homme au sommet de la hiérarchie pensante est précaire.
    The Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher (ecureuil)
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (Morteana)
    Far Rainbow/The Second Invasion from Mars by Arkady Strugatsky (leigonj)
    leigonj: 'The Second Invasion from Mars' describes the Martians' renewed efforts to conquer by other means. Clever. Styles and stories are very different however.
    The Hopkins Manuscript by R. C. Sherriff (chrisharpe)
    Two Planets by Kurd Lasswitz (jannis)
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (chrisharpe)
1890s (15)

English (185)  French (5)  Spanish (4)  Danish (4)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (201)
My dad taught me to read with a bunch of broken-spined sci-fi books, one being The War of the Worlds. Potentially problematic when you get down to the nitty gritty subject matter but it worked for us and thrust me solidly into geekdom. Thanks, Dad.

Reading it for the first time all these years later, my five stars are a bit of a hodge podge of good memories and an impression of the unique and exciting material that was produced by Wells at a time when there wasn't really anything else like it. The five stars will remain and it's officially been added to my favorites list which, let's be honest, it always was. ( )
1 vote lemotamant898 | Jan 18, 2016 |

motavant | Jan 17, 2016 |
I loved War of the Worlds from start to finish! I guess it helped knowing the musical inside out (I love it!) even if there are some differences from the book.

A strange cylinder lands on Horsell Common and hearing noises coming from it people who have gathered to witness the strange spectacle assume a man is trapped inside, but are driven back by the intense heat. What emerges from the cylinder, however, is something strange, terrifying and completely unwelcome – Martians. Further cylinders arrive and it soon becomes apparent that the Martians are intent on taking over earth – using humans as food. As panic ensues, the protagonist heads towards London – hoping to escape his almost certain fate. The narrator is full of despair as it seems that the earth is doomed, but when it seems that nothing can save the planet something completely unexpected happens that could change the situation for the better…

What a great book. If you're not a particular fan of classics or sci-fi but are curious to try some then this would be an excellent place to start. ( )
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |
I was surprised how much I enjoyed War of the Worlds - having seen the film I had misgivings and lots of preconceptions but actually the style of writing is engaging and I thoroughly enjoyed it. So different from the film and so much better! ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |
The War Of The Worlds, by H.G. Wells

Synopsis: The science fiction classic that proposed the possibility of intelligent life on other planets — written over 100 years ago, this compelling tale describes the Martian invasion of Earth and man's struggle to survive.
H.G. Wells's science fiction classic, the first novel to explore the possibilities of intelligent life from other planets, is still startling and vivid nearly after a century after its appearance, and a half-century after Orson Wells's infamous 1938 radio adaptation. The daring portrayal of aliens landing on English soil, with its themes of interplanetary imperialism, technological holocaust and chaos, is central to the career of H.G. Wells, who died at the dawn of the atomic age. The survival of mankind in the face of "vast and cool and unsympathetic" scientific powers spinning out of control was a crucial theme throughout his work. Visionary, shocking and chilling, The War Of The Worlds has lost none of its impact since its first publication in 1898.
In A Sentence: Glad I read this, but not a favorite
My Thoughts: So I finally read this book! The War Of TheWorlds has been on my TBR for ages, ever since I watched the Tom Cruise modern movie adaptation. I figured that I have now seen two movie adaptations of this story, so I had better read this novel!
Now I’m glad I read this. It really is a noteworthy classic. The story reads like a non-fiction memoir or history book, where one man talks about his own personal experience during the Martian invasion. I should warn that the story is a little bit on the monotonous side, without much emotion or intense action. But that doesn’t detract much from the book.
I think the main thing that makes this story such a classic is the creativity. H.G. Wells published this in 1898! Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think H.G. Wells was the first to write about alien invasions, and this was back before there were rocket missiles and the first airplanes. Cars weren’t even a major source of transportation yet! Knowing this, it is amazing that H.G. Wells came up with this story with such immense detail. What’s even more impressive is that he didn’t let the humans defeat the aliens. No siree, we humans were losing the war! What ends defeating the aliens is….well I won’t spoil it for you, just in case you’re one of the few who aren’t familiar with the story.
Would I recommend it? Absolutely! It’s a classic that everyone should read. I would recommend actually reading it though. Don’t listen to the audiobook narrated by James Spencer. I think it was because of him that I didn’t rate this story higher. I listened to the audiobook thinking that it would help save time, but I think I drifted at certain crucial points because of the narration. James Spencer spoke in an American accent the whole time. This is a British book that takes place in and around London, and they chose an American to narrate this. He didn’t even bother trying to speak with a British accent! To top it off, he spoke in a monotone the entire time, making this story more boring to listen to. So word of warning: read it, don’t listen to it.
  Spirolim | Jan 13, 2016 |
Mr. Wells's dramatic power is of the strongest, and through "The War of the Worlds" deals with death, destruction, and ruin, he has known how to manage a terrible topic in a clever and ingenuous way.

Wells, H. G.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Santos, DomingoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sawyer, AndyNotessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, AlexanderNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The War of the Worlds & A Dream of Armageddon & The Land Ironclads. Heron Collected Works of Wells by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine / The War of the Worlds / The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells

The War of the Worlds / The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

The Collector's Book of Science Fiction by H. G. Wells by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine; The Island of Dr. Moreau; The Invisible Man; The First Men in the Moon; The Food of the Gods; In the Days of the Comet; The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

The war of the worlds, The time machine, and selected short stories by H. G. Wells

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

But who shall dwell in these worlds if they be inhabited? ... Are we or they Lords of the World? ... And how are all things made for man?-- KEPLER (quoted in The Anatomy of Melancholy)
TO
MY BROTHER
FRANK WELLS
THIS RENDERING
OF HIS IDEA
No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
This is the main work for The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. Please do not combine with any abridgements, adaptations, annotated editions, etc.
ISBN 1402552459 is an unabridged audio version of the novel

Mars attacks England.
Earth's defenses are no match,
But-- ah, ah, ACHOO!
(MJMunn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375759239, Paperback)

This is the granddaddy of all alien invasion stories, first published by H.G. Wells in 1898. The novel begins ominously, as the lone voice of a narrator tells readers that "No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's..."

Things then progress from a series of seemingly mundane reports about odd atmospheric disturbances taking place on Mars to the arrival of Martians just outside of London. At first the Martians seem laughable, hardly able to move in Earth's comparatively heavy gravity even enough to raise themselves out of the pit created when their spaceship landed. But soon the Martians reveal their true nature as death machines 100-feet tall rise up from the pit and begin laying waste to the surrounding land. Wells quickly moves the story from the countryside to the evacuation of London itself and the loss of all hope as England's military suffers defeat after defeat. With horror his narrator describes how the Martians suck the blood from living humans for sustenance, and how it's clear that man is not being conquered so much a corralled. --Craig E. Engler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:09 -0400)

H.G. Wells' late nineteenth-century novel in which an intellectually superior race from Mars invades Earth with plans to take over the planet.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441038, 0451530659, 0141045418, 0141199040

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,223,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible