The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

The War of the Worlds (original 1898; edition 2012)

by H. G. Wells

Member:LoreleiOrion
Title:The War of the Worlds
Authors:H. G. Wells
Info:CreateSpace (2012), Paperback, 138 pages

The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (Author) (1898)

1890s (18)

English (211)  French (5)  Spanish (5)  Danish (4)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (228)
I see why this is a classic - it has aged reasonably well, and seems to have given birth to many tropes and images we perceive as common ans well-known. I liked reading it, even if it was a bit stuffy. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |

While I've listened to the radio play, and watched the old black and white movie based on Mr. Wells' novel, this is the first time I've actually read it. I very much enjoyed it.

Victorian novels in general seem to strive for verisimilitude. This one does as well, and succeeds. It's very believable.

The movie and, especially, the radio plays also had a strong quality of verisimilitude. They're both set in the US, with slightly different specific actions, but the changes are there to suit the different mediums.

Like [book:Time Machine], War of the Worlds touches on some very large issues of both the nature of humanity, and where humanity could go. Much to my surprise, neither novel is too heavy handed about it. It really is a natural out-welling of the story. I can't tell if the philosophy or the plot came first.

Now I'm craving both the movie and the radio play :) ( )
  hopeevey | May 19, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this quick, classic novel. I knew the story already from the many adaptations in popular culture, but this book was interesting enough, and suspenseful enough, to keep me interested and turning pages. It is always fun to read the original story as well to compare it to the movies I have seen dealing with it. The Tom Cruise movie I enjoyed very much, and it did keep with the general themes and plots of the book. A good read I would recommend to any fans of science fiction. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
It's been a while since I've seen the Tom Cruise movie adaptation, which was good when reading the book. I enjoyed the story about Martians invading earth. Very descriptive and felt very anxious while our main character fled and escaped barely from the aliens. The thing I didn't like were the notes explaining to me where all the places where by London or near London. I really didn't need a geography lesson nor did I care. Besides that irritation, it is a good read. ( )
  booklover3258 | Jan 3, 2018 |
New introduction by Brian Aldiss
  stevholt | Nov 19, 2017 |
Mr. Wells's dramatic power is of the strongest, and through "The War of the Worlds" deals with death, destruction, and ruin, he has known how to manage a terrible topic in a clever and ingenuous way.

Wells, H. G.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

But who shall dwell in these worlds if they be inhabited? ... Are we or they Lords of the World? ... And how are all things made for man?-- KEPLER (quoted in The Anatomy of Melancholy)
TO
MY BROTHER
FRANK WELLS
THIS RENDERING
OF HIS IDEA
No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
This is the main work for The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. Please do not combine with any abridgements, adaptations, annotated editions, etc.
ISBN 1402552459 is an unabridged audio version of the novel

Mars attacks England.
Earth's defenses are no match,
But-- ah, ah, ACHOO!
(MJMunn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375759239, Paperback)

This is the granddaddy of all alien invasion stories, first published by H.G. Wells in 1898. The novel begins ominously, as the lone voice of a narrator tells readers that "No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's..."

Things then progress from a series of seemingly mundane reports about odd atmospheric disturbances taking place on Mars to the arrival of Martians just outside of London. At first the Martians seem laughable, hardly able to move in Earth's comparatively heavy gravity even enough to raise themselves out of the pit created when their spaceship landed. But soon the Martians reveal their true nature as death machines 100-feet tall rise up from the pit and begin laying waste to the surrounding land. Wells quickly moves the story from the countryside to the evacuation of London itself and the loss of all hope as England's military suffers defeat after defeat. With horror his narrator describes how the Martians suck the blood from living humans for sustenance, and how it's clear that man is not being conquered so much a corralled. --Craig E. Engler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:09 -0400)

An English astronomer, in company with an artilleryman, a country curate, and others, struggle to survive the invasion of Earth by Martians in 1894.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441038, 0451530659, 0141199040

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,000,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible