The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

The War of the Worlds (original 1898; edition 2012)

by H. G. Wells

Member:bherner
Title:The War of the Worlds
Authors:H. G. Wells
Info:Tribeca Books (2012), Paperback, 138 pages
Tags:fiction, classics

The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (Author) (1898)

Recently added byandersongs, kathytapia, private library, thaumat, Meredy, lmross, marybearce, tslayton
Legacy LibrariesGraham Greene
1001 (46) 1001 books (53) 19th century (122) alien invasion (81) aliens (190) British (59) British literature (63) classic (357) classics (321) ebook (108) England (66) English literature (55) fantasy (65) fiction (984) H.G. Wells (61) invasion (71) Kindle (68) literature (141) Mars (89) martians (73) novel (166) own (55) read (141) science fiction (1,766) sf (166) sff (68) to-read (140) unread (97) war (84) Wells (43)
    The day of the triffids by John Wyndham (clif_hiker)
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (Patangel)
    The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells (sturlington)
    The Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher (ecureuil)
    Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: La place de l'Homme au sommet de la hiérarchie pensante est précaire.
    Far Rainbow/The Second Invasion from Mars by Arkady Strugatsky (leigonj)
    leigonj: 'The Second Invasion from Mars' describes the Martians' renewed efforts to conquer by other means. Clever. Styles and stories are very different however.
    The Hopkins Manuscript by R. C. Sherriff (chrisharpe)
    Two Planets by Kurd Lasswitz (jannis)
    The lost world by Arthur Conan Doyle (chrisharpe)

English (158)  Danish (4)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (172)
Perhaps one of the most interesting things about this book was the fact that Wells did not describe what an alien looked like until page 99.

I was attracted to this book because I knew what a stir Orson Well's adaptation made: this book is well known, but I'd never read it. I found myself almost all the way through and realizing I didn't know how it ended. Do the humans live, or do Martians win?

It took me longer than I would have liked to read it, but once I devoted myself to it, it didn't take long. This was much better than The Island of Dr. Moreau , and I am interested in reading more [author: H. G. Wells].

I'm ready to hear/read the Orson Wells version now...then maybe watch the movie. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
1950's martians invade earth. I suppose for the 1950's this was a great sci-fi book. The writing is lovely and descriptive, even though the plot advances slowly. I feel that many of the sub-plots are never developed. I read the free Kindle-version from Amazon and at about the 70% mark pages were out of order, repeated, etc, for about 7-10 pages. ( )
  tess_i_am48 | Jun 10, 2014 |
Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. The legendary hosts of Goths and Huns, the hugest armies Asia has ever seen, would have been but a drop in that current. And this was no disciplined march; it was a stampede--a stampede gigantic and terrible--without order and without a goal, six million people, unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind. Pg. 82

The War of the Worlds is rather a misnomer as it didn't play out as war. Not even close. It was an one sided annihilation and unfortunately, man was on the short end of the stick in this battle. Aliens from Mars have arrived and their purpose seems to be the complete destruction of London and the surrounding countryside. All efforts to counterattack have proven futile and men are forced to hide and run like rats, like vermins, the lowliest of the lows. Salvation seems a miracle while the extinction of the human race, inevitable.

My first taste of Wells was rather hit and miss. Miss in that there were way too many references to places that I've never heard of before. They are most likely real places, but I wouldn't know either way. It was like a study of all the smallest and tiniest locales surrounding London and I was in desperate need of a map. The hit was the actual aliens themselves. Perhaps if there was more of a focus on the aliens, their thoughts, their motives, instead of the all places they destroyed, it would have made for a more interesting read. Either way, I haven't given up on Mr Wells and hopefully his next book will leave a more lasting impression. ( )
  jolerie | May 26, 2014 |
The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells may have inspired the movie but they are two completely different thing. The book takes place in 1800s England where something horrific happens. The Martians home planet of Mars is dying. So they pack up and go to the closest habitable planet... Earth. The un-named narrator probably has the worst luck and your just around for the wild ride that would suck to be in.

In the time period that the story takes place in people never even had the idea of extraterrestrial life until it sat on their front steps. Wells did an excellent job of showing the death and fear that had a very strong presence through the whole ordeal. Since it takes place in the 1800s the narrator talks like he is from the 1800s so some of it can be hard to follow.

The only things that I would criticize is the way that Wells would almost seem to choose a word and then use it a ridiculous amount of times. Such as in the beginning he use the word scarcely a lot and some variation go the word fancy. And the other thing is the repetition of events. The same thing would happen over and over just different places with different circumstances. Otherwise the book was better than other books that I have read. ( )
  br14jasm | May 25, 2014 |
Mr. Wells's dramatic power is of the strongest, and through "The War of the Worlds" deals with death, destruction, and ruin, he has known how to manage a terrible topic in a clever and ingenuous way.

Wells, H. G.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a supplement

TO
MY BROTHER
FRANK WELLS
THIS RENDERING
OF HIS IDEA
No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
This is the main work for The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. Please do not combine with any abridgements, adaptations, annotated editions, etc.
ISBN 1402552459 is an unabridged audio version of the novel

Night after night, the bright lights can be seen dropping from the sky.
Traveling thousands of miles through space, the Martians are landing on Earth!
The strange, ugly creatures have three spindly legs and large metallic bodies. They have already destroyed London.
Who or what can stop them from taking over the entire world?
Mars attacks England.
Earth's defenses are no match,
But-- ah, ah, ACHOO!
(MJMunn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375759239, Paperback)

This is the granddaddy of all alien invasion stories, first published by H.G. Wells in 1898. The novel begins ominously, as the lone voice of a narrator tells readers that "No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's..."

Things then progress from a series of seemingly mundane reports about odd atmospheric disturbances taking place on Mars to the arrival of Martians just outside of London. At first the Martians seem laughable, hardly able to move in Earth's comparatively heavy gravity even enough to raise themselves out of the pit created when their spaceship landed. But soon the Martians reveal their true nature as death machines 100-feet tall rise up from the pit and begin laying waste to the surrounding land. Wells quickly moves the story from the countryside to the evacuation of London itself and the loss of all hope as England's military suffers defeat after defeat. With horror his narrator describes how the Martians suck the blood from living humans for sustenance, and how it's clear that man is not being conquered so much a corralled. --Craig E. Engler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:52 -0400)

'The War of the Worlds' is Wells' classic science fiction tale of a Martian invasion of Earth. Having already destroyed London, it seems that no-one can stop the intellectually superior Martians from taking over the whole planet.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441038, 0451530659, 0141045418, 0141199040

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,494,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible