Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The War of the Worlds (Modern Library…

The War of the Worlds (Modern Library Classics) (original 1898; edition 2002)

by H. G. Wells

As life on Mars becomes impossible, Martians and their terrifying machines invade the earth.
Member:dalai-lt
Title:The War of the Worlds (Modern Library Classics)
Authors:H. G. Wells
Info:Modern Library (2002), Edition: 2002 Modern Library Paperback Ed., Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (Author) (1898)

1890s (20)

English (246)  French (5)  Spanish (4)  Danish (4)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (262)
Thought I would see how much I remembered of this story, but I found much of it to be quite bland and mostly a tale of travelling through places to get somewhere else while all around was getting scorched. Gave up half way through. Much prefer the Jeff Lynne double album version. ( )
  CliveUK | Sep 20, 2020 |
Digital audiobook performed by Christopher Hurt

Classic science-fiction horror. Residents of a small community outside London are puzzled and curious about the “meteor” that has landed in a nearby field. But it’s clearly a manufactured rather than a natural object. And they notice that there is an effort – from the inside – to open the vessel. Thus begins the horror that becomes an invasion from Mars.

I knew the basic premise going in. I knew about the Orson Welles’ radio broadcast that caused panic (despite an introduction advising that this was a dramatic reading of a work of fiction). But I’d never read the original.

The first-person narrative lends a sense of urgency and immediacy to the narrative. The reader feels completely immersed in the story. Wells includes significant tension; while there are a few moments of respite, I found it a very anxiety-producing read. I like that he leaves much to the reader’s imagination, which heightens the suspense.

Christopher Hurt did a fine job narrating the audio book. There’s something about that clipped British accent that just draws me in. ( )
  BookConcierge | Sep 4, 2020 |
I know, I know - a classic that I'm just now reading. Prior to this I had only ever seen the Tom Cruise film adaptation! Better late than never. The fact that this was written when it was - before electronics and technology as we know it was incredible. It set the tone for science fiction as we know it. The parts I didn't love were the constant name dropping of towns (If I saw the word Woking one more damn time...) and the slow build - sometimes on the point of boring drudgery. Overall though it's a fantastic piece of literature - even if my lazy ass brain had to struggle through parts of it. It definitely made me want to watch more film versions if nothing else. ( )
1 vote ecataldi | Aug 25, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Mr. Wells's dramatic power is of the strongest, and through "The War of the Worlds" deals with death, destruction, and ruin, he has known how to manage a terrible topic in a clever and ingenuous way.

Wells, H. G.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

But who shall dwell in these worlds if they be inhabited? ... Are we or they Lords of the World? ... And how are all things made for man?-- KEPLER (quoted in The Anatomy of Melancholy)
TO
MY BROTHER
FRANK WELLS
THIS RENDERING
OF HIS IDEA
No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
This is the main work for The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. Please do not combine with any abridgements, adaptations, annotated editions, etc.
ISBN 1402552459 is an unabridged audio version of the novel

Mars attacks England.
Earth's defenses are no match,
But-- ah, ah, ACHOO!
(MJMunn)

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441038, 0451530659, 0141045418, 0141199040

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,446,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible