The Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages

The Green Glass Sea (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Ellen Klages

Member:ewyatt
Title:The Green Glass Sea
Authors:Ellen Klages
Info:Puffin (2008), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Caudill 2009, historical fiction, atomic bomb, manhattan project, los alamos, orphan, science, invention, art, math

The Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages (Author) (2006)

Too quiet, too subtle, I think, for most kids. I liked the kids as good role models for young readers, but I didn't actually *like* them, or empathize with them, or feel like I would want to be friends with them. And the only big plot point is a really really horrible one that seems, to me, unnecessary. (Maybe the sequel reveals the author's purpose.) When I was a kid I would have been bored with this, and felt manipulated into reading something 'good for me.' Not a bad book - just one I wouldn't push on a kid unless she or he was already interested in the key elements and already a good reader. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A touching story about friendship and loss, set against the meticulously researched backdrop of the Manhattan Project in Los Alamos, New Mexico. ( )
  Katya0133 | Mar 4, 2016 |
This was a truly lovely book. I don't think I've ever read anything about the Manhattan Project before, and the history involved was really fascinating; besides that, the characters are well-written and very likeable, and the story (not just the historical story, but the parts of the plot that are fiction) is easy to get engaged in. I would definitely recommend it for anyone, young adult or regular one.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
It is 1943, and almost eleven-year-old Dewey Kerrigan is on a train to New Mexico, where she will live with her father. She doesn't know where in New Mexico, exactly; the corporal who took her to the station can't tell her. It's wartime, and so many things are secret.

Soon she arrives at a town that -- officially -- doesn't exist. It is called Los Alamos, and it is abuzz with activity, as famous scientists and mathematicians from all over America and Europe -- Dewey's father among them -- work on the biggest secret of all, something everybody calls only "the gadget."
- from the book jacket

So, this book takes place in Los Alamos, New Mexico at the time of the Manhattan project, during World War II. It centers around two young girls, both are outcasts and they don't like each other. The story follows their struggles and developing friendship as they realize they have more in common than they thought.

I became interested in this book when I realized it took place during the Manhattan Project. There is currently a series on tv (called Manhattan) that centers around the events in Los Alamos and I really like it. This story is more geared towards middle grade students, as it follows the girls and sees things from their point of view.

There isn't a lot of action or suspense, this is definitely more realistic historical fiction than adventurous historical fiction. The story is good and the characters are likable. The story moves rather slowly and for whole chapters nothing much happens. Overall, this book was basically just ok for me.

I read this book as part of my Historical Fiction genre of the month project. Once again, I believe it is better for older readers and will recommend transferring it to the Middle school library. Not because it is violent or inappropriate, but because it seems it will appeal to older readers more.

Recommended to:
Students in grades 6 and up who like historical fiction that focuses more on the realistic characters than the historical events or drama. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Narrated by Julie Dretzin. Very satisfying, well-rounded historical fiction; brings to life a secretive aspect of the war. The audio version is particularly effective in portraying shy, introspective Dewey. Devastating! ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
To Jane Heller, for childhood talks on the shelf and pearls in the creek.

To Delia Sherman, my writing sister, who knows when it's time to send the Goon.

And to my dad, Jack Klages, who lived through the war I've only read about.
Dewey Kerrigan sits on the concrete front steps of Mrs. Kovack's house in St. Louis, waiting for her father.

A backlist gem gets a brand-new look!

It's 1943, and eleven-year-old Dewey Kerrigan is en route to New Mexico to live with her mathematician father. Soon she arrives at a town that, officially, doesn't exist. It is called Los Alamos, and it is abuzz with activity, as scientists and mathematicians from all over America and Europe work on the biggest secret of all--"the gadget." None of them--not J. Robert Oppenheimer, the director of the Manhattan Project; not the mathematicians and scientists; and least of all, Dewey--know how much "the gadget" is about to change their lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:31 -0400)

In 1943, eleven-year-old Dewey Kerrigan lives with her scientist father in Los Alamos, New Mexico, as he works on a top secret government program, and befriends an aspiring artist who is a misfit just like her.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,146,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible