Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix by…

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (original 2003; edition 2003)

by J. K. Rowling, J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)

77,8376975 (4.27)10 / 918
Member:BethanyNorris
Title:Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2004), Paperback, 896 pages
Collections:Young Adult Books

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (2003)

Elevenses (166)
Magic! (9)

English (660)  German (10)  Italian (6)  French (5)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (3)  Latvian (1)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (698)
Before Harry's fifth year at Hogwarts even begins, he has faced down a pair of Dementors in Privet Drive - but because he used magic (to produce a Patronus), he is going to be expelled from Hogwarts. Dumbledore intervenes, but Harry still has to face a trial at the Ministry of Magic, and there he meets Dolores Umbridge - soon to be Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor. The Ministry is still denying that Voldemort is back, and trying to discredit Harry and Dumbledore; Dumbledore seems to be avoiding Harry. Once the students do return to school, everything is awful: the fifth years are loaded with homework to prepare them for their O.W.L. exams at the end of the year, and Umbridge takes every chance she can get to hurt Harry, including awful detentions with her quill that cuts into the back of his hand as he writes (I think these qualify as torture scenes, and I skipped reading them as this was my third time reading the book).

Ron the Gryffindor Quidditch team, but Harry and Fred and George are soon banned from Quidditch for life (thanks to Umbridge, of course). Ginny replaces Harry as Seeker. Fred and George conduct "market research" and sell lots of Skiving Snackboxes. Hermione suggests that Harry teach anyone who's interested Defense Against the Dark Arts, as Umbridge only has them read from the textbook, rather than practice, and the D.A. is formed after a meeting in the Hog's Head pub. Dobby helps Harry by finding the Room of Requirement so they can practice. Sirius is frustrated by being shut in the house at Grimmauld Place, Kreacher the house-elf is definitely up to something, and Arthur Weasley is attacked. Oh, and Hagrid has brought back his half-brother Grawp from his visit to the giants, and is keeping him in the Forbidden Forest. In other words: the fifth book in the series is where things get very, very dark.

The story comes to a climax in the Department of Mysteries: Harry, Hermione, Ron, Neville, Ginny, and Luna ride thestrals there from the Forbidden Forest after centaurs have chased off Umbridge. Harry is convinced that Voldemort has Sirius there - he has been having visions of Voldemort, which his Occlumency lessons with Snape have not been able to stop - so the six of them go to the Ministry of Magic. Harry finds a prophecy concerning Voldermort and himself, and then the Death Eaters appear. Several members of the Order come to the rescue, but Sirius dies. Dumbledore and Voldemort battle directly, and Dumbledore sends Harry back to his office, where he explains what he can, including showing Harry the prophecy Sibyll Trelawney made sixteen years ago.
  JennyArch | Oct 4, 2018 |
10 copies
  LAPP | Oct 2, 2018 |
Excellent book, but a bit long! And every one who has seen the movie already has a severe dislike for Dolores Umbridge, but little did I realize that Rowling painted her as such a horrible person that I absolutely loathe the character! How does JKR do that? Very well written! ( )
  emeraldgirl68 | Sep 30, 2018 |
I'm a millennial who grew up alongside Harry. These books are what made me fall in love with literature, were my escape from an unhappy adolescence, and they mean more to me than any other pieces of literature. The last time I read this novel, I was curled up in bed in my room, feeling a lot like Harry himself - alienated and vulnerable, grouchy and socially incompetent. It's impossible for me to be objective, here. I'm not sure what I would rate these novels if so much of myself wasn't wrapped up in them. I kind of feel like I'm looking at myself through the other end of The Mirror of Erised (okay, my life isn't that idealistic, but adulthood looks pretty damn good in comparison).

No, these books aren't perfect. Harry is a tempermental toad, for one (especially in The Order of the Phoenix, good lord, the teenage angst). But the characters apparate in front of me whenever I open the pages. When Rowling descibes Hogwarts, it feels like I'm entering the same headspace as my teenage self, where I made another home for myself. It was lovely to be back. ( )
1 vote lhofer | Sep 26, 2018 |
900 pages' worth this time, but a remarkably effortless and propulsive read. The family history of Sirius Black (Order of the Phoenix headquartered at his family home), a moodier, newly hot-headed 15-year-old Harry (struggling with the gravity of Voldemort's return and Cedric's death), Professor Umbridge, the Room of Requirement and Dumbledore's Army, thestrals, Luna Lovegood, the Department of Mysteries, the Hall of Prophecy ("neither can live while the other survives"), and Sirius's fateful encounter with his cousin Bellatrix Lestrange. ( )
  beaujoe | Sep 22, 2018 |
The family romance is a latency-period fantasy, belonging to the drowsy years between 7 and adolescence. In ''Order of the Phoenix,'' Harry, now 15, is meant to be adolescent. He spends a lot of the book becoming excessively angry with his protectors and tormentors alike. He discovers that his late (and ''real'') father was not a perfect magical role model, but someone who went in for fits of nasty playground bullying. He also discovers that his mind is linked to the evil Lord Voldemort, thereby making him responsible in some measure for acts of violence his nemesis commits...

Ms. Rowling's magic world has no place for the numinous. It is written for people whose imaginative lives are confined to TV cartoons, and the exaggerated (more exciting, not threatening) mirror-worlds of soaps, reality TV and celebrity gossip. Its values, and everything in it, are, as Gatsby said of his own world when the light had gone out of his dream, ''only personal.'' Nobody is trying to save or destroy anything beyond Harry Potter and his friends and family.
added by SnootyBaronet | editThe New York Times, A.S. Byatt

Las tediosas vacaciones de verano en casa de sus tíos todavía no han acabado y Harry se encuentra más inquieto que nunca. Apenas ha tenido noticias de Ron y Hermione, y presiente que algo extraño está sucediendo en Hogwarts. En efecto, cuando por fin comienza otro curso en el famoso colegio de magia y hechicería, sus temores se vuelven realidad. El Ministerio de Magia niega que Voldemort haya regresado y ha iniciado una campaña de desprestigio contra Harry y Dumbledore, para lo cual ha asignado a la horrible profesora Dolores Umbridge la tarea de vigilar todos sus movimientos. Así pues, además de sentirse solo e incomprendido, Harry sospecha que Voldemort puede adivinar sus pensamientos, e intuye que el temible mago trata de apoderarse de un objeto secreto que le permitiría recuperar su poder destructivo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tóth, Tamás BoldizsárTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilharm, SabineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil, Jessica, and David,
who make my world magical.
The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive.
'You two have just apparated on my knees.' - Ron Weasley

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief...or will it?

AR Level 7.2, 44 pts
New teacher is a
psychopath. Don’t believe me?
Then talk to the hand!
(CathWhitney)
Evil just got a
makeover. Pink has never
been so menacing.
(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439358078, Paperback)

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. It's been yet another infuriating and boring summer with the despicable Dursleys, this time with minimal contact from our hero's non-Muggle friends from school. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief... or will it?

The fifth book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series follows the darkest year yet for our young wizard, who finds himself knocked down a peg or three after the events of last year. Somehow, over the summer, gossip (usually traced back to the magic world's newspaper, the Daily Prophet) has turned Harry's tragic and heroic encounter with Voldemort at the Triwizard Tournament into an excuse to ridicule and discount the teen. Even Professor Dumbledore, headmaster of the school, has come under scrutiny by the Ministry of Magic, which refuses to officially acknowledge the terrifying truth that Voldemort is back. Enter a particularly loathsome new character: the toadlike and simpering ("hem, hem") Dolores Umbridge, senior undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, who takes over the vacant position of Defense Against Dark Arts teacher--and in no time manages to become the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, as well. Life isn't getting any easier for Harry Potter. With an overwhelming course load as the fifth years prepare for their Ordinary Wizarding Levels examinations (O.W.Ls), devastating changes in the Gryffindor Quidditch team lineup, vivid dreams about long hallways and closed doors, and increasing pain in his lightning-shaped scar, Harry's resilience is sorely tested.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, more than any of the four previous novels in the series, is a coming-of-age story. Harry faces the thorny transition into adulthood, when adult heroes are revealed to be fallible, and matters that seemed black-and-white suddenly come out in shades of gray. Gone is the wide-eyed innocent, the whiz kid of Sorcerer's Stone. Here we have an adolescent who's sometimes sullen, often confused (especially about girls), and always self-questioning. Confronting death again, as well as a startling prophecy, Harry ends his year at Hogwarts exhausted and pensive. Readers, on the other hand, will be energized as they enter yet again the long waiting period for the next title in the marvelous, magical series. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:37 -0400)

When the government of the magic world and authorities at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry refuse to believe in the growing threat of a freshly revived Lord Voldemort, fifteen-year-old Harry Potter finds support from his loyal friends in facing the evil wizard and other new terrors.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,530,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible