HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by…
Loading...

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (original 2003; edition 2003)

by J. K. Rowling

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
67,2245573 (4.26)10 / 746
Member:Fletchie
Title:Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Info:Arthur A. Levine/Scholastic Press (2003), Edition: Stated First American Edition, Hardcover
Collections:Your library
Rating:
Tags:None

Work details

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (2003)

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (527)  German (7)  French (6)  Italian (4)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Latvian (1)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (557)
Showing 1-5 of 527 (next | show all)
Description: In his fifth year at Hogwart's, Harry faces challenges at every turn, from the dark threat of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and the unreliability of the government of the magical world to the rise of Ron Weasley as the keeper of the Gryffindor Quidditch Team. Along the way he learns about the strength of his friends, the fierceness of his enemies, and the meaning of it all.

Thoughts: I don't love moody, irritable, snappy Harry. I understand moody, irritable, snappy Harry, especially in the context of everything he's been through AND he's 15. But I do love most of the other things about this book.

I mean, two words: Dolores Umbridge. That woman is EVIL. And so fascinating to read. I love every little disgusting detail, right down to the kitten plates. I love how the students come together and learn anyway right under her nose. I love how she's finally dealt with (although I wish it had stuck).

I love Neville. I love his story and his relationship with his mother. I love the confidence he finds in himself and how, totally out magicked, he stands with his friends against evil.

I love Luna. I just do.

There is so much to like about this book and so often it's overlooked because of the teenage angst. But they are teenagers! With things to be angsty about!

The only thing I hate it the obvious. The loss. I HATE it. I'm pretty sure I threw my book across the room the first time I read this. I still don't agree with it's necessity here. I just needed more time!!!

Rating: 4

Liked: 4
Plot: 4
Characterization: 4
Writing: 4

https://www.librarything.com/topic/172068#4726924 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 20, 2015 |
A continuation of the brilliant Harry Potter world, this book in my own opinion seems to be a bit darker than the previous one's I have read in the series. A real magical world, the books do live up to all the hype, fantastic book, highly skilled author/story teller. Five Star !!!!! ( )
  Claire5555 | Jan 15, 2015 |
awesome!! my favorite book in the series ( )
  salwin2000 | Jan 5, 2015 |
READ IN DUTCH

My gosh, this is quite the long story for a child to read. But I really liked it. Some called it too political, some a little bit boring, but for me this is one of three Potter books I like best (after HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban & HP and the Half blood prince). I liked the Order of the Phoenix and Dumbledores Army, but I couldn´t stand Umbridge (for understandable reasons). Of coarse I believe everyone should at least have read this series once, so I would definitely recommend this book to everyone. But start at the beginning! ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
Harry Potteria risoo. Hän ei ole kuullut sanaakaan velhomaailmasta koko kesän aikana, eikä jästiuutisten salakuunteleminenkaan tuota tuloksia. Pian kuitenkin alkaa tapahtua ja sellaista vauhtia, että Harry kohta muistelee melkein kaiholla Dursleylla vietettyä kesää. Ankeuttajat hyökkäävät ja Harrya uhkaa (jälleen kerran) Tylypahkasta erottaminen. Asioiden laita ei parane hänen palattuaan Tylypahkaan: kouluun on pestattu uusi pimeyden voimilta suojautumisen opettaja, Dolores Pimento, joka saa Kalkaroksenkin vaikuttamaan herttaiselta joulupukilta.

Uusi häikäilemätön professori toimii taikaministeri Cornelius Toffeen kätyrinä muuttaen mielivaltaisesti koulun sääntöjä, eikä edes rehtori Dumbledore tunnu mahtavan hänelle mitään. Harry joutuu uuden professorin silmätikuksi ja hermostuu yhä pahemmin.Arpea särkee polttavasti ja hän näkee niin merkillisiä unia, että pelkää menettävänsä järkensä. Lordi Voldemort on liikkeellä, Harry tietää sen jokaisella solullaan, ja järjestää Ronin ja Hermionen kanssa Tylypahkan oppilaille salaisia tapaamisia, joissa harjoitellaan pimeyden voimilta suojautumista. Mutta kykenevätkö he oppimaan tarpeeksi vahvoja taikoja voittaakseen Voldemortin ja hänen joukkonsa?Harry Potter ja Feeniksin kilta paljastaa uusia, yllättäviä piirteitä niin Harrysta kuin muistakin aikaisempien teosten henkilöistä. ( )
  roojien | Dec 11, 2014 |
Showing 1-5 of 527 (next | show all)
But tally the book’s strengths and weaknesses as you may, the fact remains that Rowling has once again created a fully-fledged world, and for the experience of being there with Harry, HP5 can’t be beat.
 
''Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'' is rich and satisfying in almost every respect.
 
A considerably darker, more psychological book than its predecessors, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" occupies the same emotional and storytelling place in the Potter series as "The Empire Strikes Back" held in the first "Star Wars" trilogy. It provides a sort of fulcrum for the series, marking Harry's emergence from boyhood, and his newfound knowledge that an ancient prophecy holds the secret to Voldemort's obsession with him and his family.
 
Dragones y Monstruos
 
This would be an appropriate novel students can chose to read on there own. I will keep this in my classroom so the students can grab them at anytime of the year.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr
 

» Add other authors (22 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cockroft, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dale, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daniele, ValentinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fry, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
GrandPré, MaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kapari, JaanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Masini, BeatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ragusa, AngelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
To Neil, Jessica, and David,
who make my world magical.
First words
The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive.
Quotations
'You two have just apparated on my knees.' - Ron Weasley
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Book description
As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief...or will it?
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439358078, Paperback)

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. It's been yet another infuriating and boring summer with the despicable Dursleys, this time with minimal contact from our hero's non-Muggle friends from school. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief... or will it?

The fifth book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series follows the darkest year yet for our young wizard, who finds himself knocked down a peg or three after the events of last year. Somehow, over the summer, gossip (usually traced back to the magic world's newspaper, the Daily Prophet) has turned Harry's tragic and heroic encounter with Voldemort at the Triwizard Tournament into an excuse to ridicule and discount the teen. Even Professor Dumbledore, headmaster of the school, has come under scrutiny by the Ministry of Magic, which refuses to officially acknowledge the terrifying truth that Voldemort is back. Enter a particularly loathsome new character: the toadlike and simpering ("hem, hem") Dolores Umbridge, senior undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, who takes over the vacant position of Defense Against Dark Arts teacher--and in no time manages to become the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, as well. Life isn't getting any easier for Harry Potter. With an overwhelming course load as the fifth years prepare for their Ordinary Wizarding Levels examinations (O.W.Ls), devastating changes in the Gryffindor Quidditch team lineup, vivid dreams about long hallways and closed doors, and increasing pain in his lightning-shaped scar, Harry's resilience is sorely tested.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, more than any of the four previous novels in the series, is a coming-of-age story. Harry faces the thorny transition into adulthood, when adult heroes are revealed to be fallible, and matters that seemed black-and-white suddenly come out in shades of gray. Gone is the wide-eyed innocent, the whiz kid of Sorcerer's Stone. Here we have an adolescent who's sometimes sullen, often confused (especially about girls), and always self-questioning. Confronting death again, as well as a startling prophecy, Harry ends his year at Hogwarts exhausted and pensive. Readers, on the other hand, will be energized as they enter yet again the long waiting period for the next title in the marvelous, magical series. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:08 -0400)

(see all 6 descriptions)

Harry Potter, now a fifth-year student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, struggles with a threatening teacher, a problematic house elf, the dread of upcoming final exams, and haunting dreams that hint toward his mysterious past.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 21 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.26)
0.5 12
1 101
1.5 37
2 483
2.5 140
3 2350
3.5 608
4 5651
4.5 788
5 8751

Penguin Australia

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1405321520, 1405903376

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,067,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible