Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by…

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (original 2003; edition 2003)

by J. K. Rowling

66,0995335 (4.26)9 / 715
Member:Fletchie
Title:Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Info:Arthur A. Levine/Scholastic Press (2003), Edition: Stated First American Edition, Hardcover

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (2003)

English (503)  German (7)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Latvian (1)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (532)
I can say with a clear conscious that this was my favorite Harry Potter book so far. All 870 pages, I was engaged and interested.

I also made a discovery about why I may have had difficulties with past Harry Potter books: I don't like reading about Quiddich...it's BORING (to me).

But, I must say, very happyface. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

But, I must say, very happyface. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Después de El Prisionero de Azkaban, este es mi segundo libro favorito de la saga, ya que es donde comienzan realmente a encajar todas las piezas del rompecabezas. No cabe duda de que Rowling realmente supo cuadrar muy bien toda la trama. Un claro ejemplo es que en el inicio, cuando están limpiando la nueva casa para la Orden, mencionan "un enorme guardapelo que nadie pudo abrir". Pensar que las pistas siempre estuvieron allí...

Lo único malo de la historia es: Harry Potter. Sentirte excluido y como una víctima, supongo que puede considerarse "normal" de alguien de 15 años. Pero eso no hace que sea menos molesto.

Y por último, no importa cuantas veces lo haya leído, cuantas veces haya visto la película, ni tampoco que sepa de memoria exactamente lo que va a pasar... la muerte de Sirius siempre me parte el corazón :( ( )
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
Isn't Dolores Umbridge the worst? She's so awful that her character strains credulity, even for a fantasy YA series like Harry Potter. Nevertheless, JK Rowling manages to hold the story together and deliver another winning entry.

Some think of Order of the Phoenix as Harry Potter and His Angsty Year at School. It's true. Harry's growing up. He's got teenage problems and people just don't understand. Dumbledore ignores him, Umbridge tortures him—literally—and Voldemort wants to kill him. And hardly anybody believes a word he says. So I don't blame Harry for sounding off on Ron and Hermione from time to time.

Book 5 is the longest volume of the series, besting the 2nd longest by over a hundred pages, and Rowling defends each chapter as essential. I agree since everything adds to the richness of the world without sacrificing urgency. Also, if you read carefully enough, you can see the story plots, character arcs and the occasional Easter Egg being set up for books 6 and 7 though only a few of them actually do pay off. With Rowling you get this sense that she's more of a master set decorator than a long-game story planner. There are iconic moments in Phoenix that you think must mean *something* later on (e.g. the veil, Grawp, occlumency), but alas, they are nothing more than window dressing.

Potter fever was on the up when Order of the Phoenix came out back in 2003. JK Rowling was weaving this wondrous, magical tapestry and by then had captured the world's attention. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Jun 23, 2014 |
This is my least favorite Harry Potter book, and it actually doesn't have to do with Harry's whining(I find that completely understandable, after what he's been through), but because the last 300 pages have always dragged for me. I know there's a lot of plot-relevant information in this book, but I always find myself skimming the last third, wanting to get on to the magicalness that is The Half-Blood Prince. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
But tally the book’s strengths and weaknesses as you may, the fact remains that Rowling has once again created a fully-fledged world, and for the experience of being there with Harry, HP5 can’t be beat.

''Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'' is rich and satisfying in almost every respect.

A considerably darker, more psychological book than its predecessors, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" occupies the same emotional and storytelling place in the Potter series as "The Empire Strikes Back" held in the first "Star Wars" trilogy. It provides a sort of fulcrum for the series, marking Harry's emergence from boyhood, and his newfound knowledge that an ancient prophecy holds the secret to Voldemort's obsession with him and his family.

Dragones y Monstruos

This would be an appropriate novel students can chose to read on there own. I will keep this in my classroom so the students can grab them at anytime of the year.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Masini, BeatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ragusa, AngelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil, Jessica, and David,
who make my world magical.
The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive.
'You two have just apparated on my knees.' - Ron Weasley
As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief...or will it?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439358078, Paperback)

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. It's been yet another infuriating and boring summer with the despicable Dursleys, this time with minimal contact from our hero's non-Muggle friends from school. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief... or will it?

The fifth book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series follows the darkest year yet for our young wizard, who finds himself knocked down a peg or three after the events of last year. Somehow, over the summer, gossip (usually traced back to the magic world's newspaper, the Daily Prophet) has turned Harry's tragic and heroic encounter with Voldemort at the Triwizard Tournament into an excuse to ridicule and discount the teen. Even Professor Dumbledore, headmaster of the school, has come under scrutiny by the Ministry of Magic, which refuses to officially acknowledge the terrifying truth that Voldemort is back. Enter a particularly loathsome new character: the toadlike and simpering ("hem, hem") Dolores Umbridge, senior undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, who takes over the vacant position of Defense Against Dark Arts teacher--and in no time manages to become the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, as well. Life isn't getting any easier for Harry Potter. With an overwhelming course load as the fifth years prepare for their Ordinary Wizarding Levels examinations (O.W.Ls), devastating changes in the Gryffindor Quidditch team lineup, vivid dreams about long hallways and closed doors, and increasing pain in his lightning-shaped scar, Harry's resilience is sorely tested.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, more than any of the four previous novels in the series, is a coming-of-age story. Harry faces the thorny transition into adulthood, when adult heroes are revealed to be fallible, and matters that seemed black-and-white suddenly come out in shades of gray. Gone is the wide-eyed innocent, the whiz kid of Sorcerer's Stone. Here we have an adolescent who's sometimes sullen, often confused (especially about girls), and always self-questioning. Confronting death again, as well as a startling prophecy, Harry ends his year at Hogwarts exhausted and pensive. Readers, on the other hand, will be energized as they enter yet again the long waiting period for the next title in the marvelous, magical series. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:08 -0400)

Harry Potter, now a fifth-year student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, struggles with a threatening teacher, a problematic house elf, the dread of upcoming final exams, and haunting dreams that hint toward his mysterious past.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1405321520, 1405903376

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,545,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible