Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix by…

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (original 2003; edition 2004)

by J. K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

70,6656172 (4.26)10 / 812
Member:SidheRocks
Title:Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2004), Paperback, 870 pages

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (2003)

English (582)  German (7)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Latvian (1)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (612)
READ IN DUTCH

My gosh, this is quite the long story for a child to read. But I really liked it. Some called it too political, some a little bit boring, but for me this is one of three Potter books I like best (after HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban & HP and the Half blood prince). I liked the Order of the Phoenix and Dumbledores Army, but I couldn´t stand Umbridge (for understandable reasons). Of coarse I believe everyone should at least have read this series once, so I would definitely recommend this book to everyone. But start at the beginning! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
sd-180
  seabass101 | May 25, 2016 |
Enjoyable like the rest, but I have to say that the whole teen-angst no one understands me thing was just so over the top I was close a couple times to giving up. Holy cr*p. My least favorite of the first five, which is disappointing as it is twice a long as a few of them. Still a great story though. And Stephen Fry is a fantastic reader, of course. On to number 6. ( )
  BooksForDinner | May 13, 2016 |
I would have given Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix five stars if it were not for one thing: Harry Potter. In the past, I have enjoyed his character, but he was such a whiny jerk throughout this book. He was constantly lashing out at his closest friends and complaining. I get that he's a teenager who's under a great amount of stress, but I just expected some sort of maturation to be seen considering that he's experienced more in the past five years than most people do in their entire lives. That was my biggest disappointment with Rowling's work in this particular novel.

Also, there was a major event towards the end of the book that was less than spectacular (to put it mildly). I don't want to give it away if you haven't read the book yet, though I'm surely the last person in the world to read the series. But anyway, the scene was almost baffling in how quickly the event transpired, and I was constantly expecting more detail to surface later in the book, but my hopes were not realized.

Overall, I enjoyed the story, but it would take a lot for me to not enjoy it since I've already invested many hours into Rowling's world of magic. It was good, but far from the best of the series. ( )
  codyacunningham | May 9, 2016 |
Okay. To start, I'm one of those people who never read the Harry Potter books but saw all of the movies. I always wanted to read the books but at first never found time and then halfway through the movie series figured I'd wait until the last movie came out. That being said I was absolutely DREADING reading the Order of the Phoenix because I absolutely HATED the movie. Like nails on a chalkboard for me. Not that the movie was bad but the characters and plot annoyed me so much that it easily became my least favorite (most favorite being Prisoner of Azkaban).

After reading this book, or should I say listening to the beautiful audiobook reading of it by Jim Dale, I truly think this book is my favorite in the series so far (maybe second to Prisoner of Azkaban depending on the day). I won't lie, it had it's annoying moments but it was mostly Harry that bothered me (growing pains) instead of Umbridge consistently (like in the movie). BUT can we say character and plot development?!? I felt like I was on the edge of my seat THE ENTIRE BOOK.

Definitely 5 stars and definitely one I would love to re-read! ( )
  ToriC90 | Apr 30, 2016 |
But tally the book’s strengths and weaknesses as you may, the fact remains that Rowling has once again created a fully-fledged world, and for the experience of being there with Harry, HP5 can’t be beat.

''Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'' is rich and satisfying in almost every respect.

A considerably darker, more psychological book than its predecessors, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" occupies the same emotional and storytelling place in the Potter series as "The Empire Strikes Back" held in the first "Star Wars" trilogy. It provides a sort of fulcrum for the series, marking Harry's emergence from boyhood, and his newfound knowledge that an ancient prophecy holds the secret to Voldemort's obsession with him and his family.

Las tediosas vacaciones de verano en casa de sus tíos todavía no han acabado y Harry se encuentra más inquieto que nunca. Apenas ha tenido noticias de Ron y Hermione, y presiente que algo extraño está sucediendo en Hogwarts. En efecto, cuando por fin comienza otro curso en el famoso colegio de magia y hechicería, sus temores se vuelven realidad. El Ministerio de Magia niega que Voldemort haya regresado y ha iniciado una campaña de desprestigio contra Harry y Dumbledore, para lo cual ha asignado a la horrible profesora Dolores Umbridge la tarea de vigilar todos sus movimientos. Así pues, además de sentirse solo e incomprendido, Harry sospecha que Voldemort puede adivinar sus pensamientos, e intuye que el temible mago trata de apoderarse de un objeto secreto que le permitiría recuperar su poder destructivo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Masini, BeatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ragusa, AngelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil, Jessica, and David,
who make my world magical.
The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive.
'You two have just apparated on my knees.' - Ron Weasley
As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief...or will it?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439358078, Paperback)

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. It's been yet another infuriating and boring summer with the despicable Dursleys, this time with minimal contact from our hero's non-Muggle friends from school. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief... or will it?

The fifth book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series follows the darkest year yet for our young wizard, who finds himself knocked down a peg or three after the events of last year. Somehow, over the summer, gossip (usually traced back to the magic world's newspaper, the Daily Prophet) has turned Harry's tragic and heroic encounter with Voldemort at the Triwizard Tournament into an excuse to ridicule and discount the teen. Even Professor Dumbledore, headmaster of the school, has come under scrutiny by the Ministry of Magic, which refuses to officially acknowledge the terrifying truth that Voldemort is back. Enter a particularly loathsome new character: the toadlike and simpering ("hem, hem") Dolores Umbridge, senior undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, who takes over the vacant position of Defense Against Dark Arts teacher--and in no time manages to become the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, as well. Life isn't getting any easier for Harry Potter. With an overwhelming course load as the fifth years prepare for their Ordinary Wizarding Levels examinations (O.W.Ls), devastating changes in the Gryffindor Quidditch team lineup, vivid dreams about long hallways and closed doors, and increasing pain in his lightning-shaped scar, Harry's resilience is sorely tested.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, more than any of the four previous novels in the series, is a coming-of-age story. Harry faces the thorny transition into adulthood, when adult heroes are revealed to be fallible, and matters that seemed black-and-white suddenly come out in shades of gray. Gone is the wide-eyed innocent, the whiz kid of Sorcerer's Stone. Here we have an adolescent who's sometimes sullen, often confused (especially about girls), and always self-questioning. Confronting death again, as well as a startling prophecy, Harry ends his year at Hogwarts exhausted and pensive. Readers, on the other hand, will be energized as they enter yet again the long waiting period for the next title in the marvelous, magical series. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:37 -0400)

Harry is in his fifth year at Hogwarts as the adventures continue.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1405321520, 1405903376

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,861,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible