Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix by…

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (original 2003; edition 2004)

by J. K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

71,5556282 (4.27)10 / 824
Member:SidheRocks
Title:Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2004), Paperback, 870 pages

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (2003)

Recently added bycaito17, Belle24, tjgecko, FelipeB, DustinCDavis, private library, queenhermione

English (598)  German (7)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Latvian (1)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (629)
This book is my favorite book of the series and has my favorite scene in the book series (when the are in the Ministry of Magic). Though it also has one of the saddest scenes too. .. ( )
  MinDea | Aug 25, 2016 |
Since I read The Order of the Phoenix when it was first released, I've often considered it my least favorite of the series. It's still an amazing book, but Harry's angst and anger made it difficult to read at times. It's hard to see Ron and Hermione, characters you've grown to love over the course of years and a couple thousand pages, get screamed at and insulted by a moody teenager. This, combined with the way Harry is constantly kept in the dark about what is happening, just made it a frustrating read at times.

However, as I re-read it this time, with the knowledge of where the story is leading and why Harry is acting the way he is, I found it much more enjoyable. Something I noticed this time around is how understanding Hermione is. She constantly neutralize tense situations, and was much more sympathetic in this book. I say that because the trio fought among each other a lot in previous books, but Rowling seems to make the extra effort to make Hermione sympathetic towards Harry's emotions. Even Ron is more reserved than in previous books, which works mechanically in that it allows the plot to move forward without the group breaking up, but feels like character development, in that he seems more mature than in books 1-4.

I might still consider this my least favorite book of the series, maybe, but it doesn't feel quite as clear-cut as it has in the past. Even if it is the worst in the series, it's still easily a 5-star book.

As for the movie for this one, man, is it terrible. This is the point I lost all faith in the films and really stopped caring about them. I've only seen bits and pieces of the movie for Half-Blood Prince and never watched the Deathly Hallows movies. ( )
  Ape | Aug 7, 2016 |
Is it weird that I like this book in part because my favourite character dies?

I'm twisted, I know. But that's not the only reason. I like Harry being all angsty. It seems realistic. He's gone through a hell of a lot, it's no surprise it's made him incredibly angry at the world. That it's realistic is not necessarily the draw - one of the pro's about fiction is being able to avoid the realistic option in favour of the more satisfying one. However, in this case, it worked for me. Bear in mind, I was fourteen, nearly fifteen, when this was released. I had a lot of pent up rage.

Plus:

That scene with Fred and George.
Umbridge, you evil bitch you.
Dumbledore's Army.
Neville, you adorable little fool. ( )
1 vote thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
GAH, how did I give this 4 stars? As of right now, it's my favorite. MY FAVORITE. ( )
  GoldenHoldenCervone | Aug 4, 2016 |
Delightfully entertaining. The book opens with a bored, 15-year old Harry. He's full of normal teenage angst that is compounded by the fact that he's feeling abandoned by the wizarding world. He managed to finish the Triwizard Tournament, only to watch Cedric die at the hands of Wormtail and then find himself face to face with Lord Voldemort. As soon as school ended, he was sent back to the Dursley's with no significant contact from Ron and Hermione. After defending a dementor attack on himself and Dudley, he is faced with expulsion from Hogwarts.

This book could be considered the darkest, so far. Harry returns to school to find that he is the object of scorn and ridicule. The ministry has been playing down the events of the last year and refuses to admit that Lord Voldemort has returned.

Harry is also a teenager. He's facing difficult exams. He's tired of being famous. When he finally gets to Grimmauld Place and meets up with Ron and Hermione again, he lets loose with frustrated rant. It was dead on for a teenager who is angry at the fact that while he has, several times, fought the greatest wizard of all time, he is still treated like a child who doesn't understand.

He questions everything and he struggles with his attraction to Cho Chang. Professor Dumbledore seems to ignore him and the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Umbridge, is an evil fascist who hates him. He's having nightmares about a door he can't get through, and he must take Occlumency lessons with Professor Snape.

There is a lot of action and a lot of angst. There are some funny parts. I love the scene when Harry is telling Ron and Hermione about his kiss with Cho and wonders why she was crying. When Hermione explains the emotional aspect of girls the interchange between her and Ron is priceless. I'm so glad they included it in the film.

Another great aspect of the book is when Harry, Hermione and Ron form the DA. Professor Umbridge won't teach them defensive spells and so Hermione takes it upon herself to convince Harry to teach them. That these teenagers all came together to do this is terrific and I loved seeing Harry have responsibility and the ability to teach his fellow classmates so many of the things he had used to defend himself against Voldemort. It was well done in the film too.

I always felt that Sirius' character wasn't well-developed and it was hard to believe that Harry felt so much connection with him, other than the fact that he was James' best friend. In the book, he's mostly sullen and angry, which is understandable. But, there isn't much compassion or affection shown. I much prefer the Sirius from the film. Gary Oldman really brought the character to life and he and Daniel Radcliffe really had a father/son chemistry. His death in the book was anti-climactic. His death in the film was heart-wrenching.

My other complaint with this book is Grawp. Hagrid doesn't need any extra, insignificant plot points. I don't see Grawp's purpose in the series. Even after finishing #7, his role isn't really necessary. He does nothing to improve the storyline. It's annoying and distracting. While I don't like Dobby, I don't understand why he hasn't been given more screen time since Chamber of Secrets. He has a much more imporant role than Grawp has in the remaining books.

Until 6 and 7 came along, this was my favorite book! ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
But tally the book’s strengths and weaknesses as you may, the fact remains that Rowling has once again created a fully-fledged world, and for the experience of being there with Harry, HP5 can’t be beat.

''Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'' is rich and satisfying in almost every respect.

A considerably darker, more psychological book than its predecessors, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" occupies the same emotional and storytelling place in the Potter series as "The Empire Strikes Back" held in the first "Star Wars" trilogy. It provides a sort of fulcrum for the series, marking Harry's emergence from boyhood, and his newfound knowledge that an ancient prophecy holds the secret to Voldemort's obsession with him and his family.

Las tediosas vacaciones de verano en casa de sus tíos todavía no han acabado y Harry se encuentra más inquieto que nunca. Apenas ha tenido noticias de Ron y Hermione, y presiente que algo extraño está sucediendo en Hogwarts. En efecto, cuando por fin comienza otro curso en el famoso colegio de magia y hechicería, sus temores se vuelven realidad. El Ministerio de Magia niega que Voldemort haya regresado y ha iniciado una campaña de desprestigio contra Harry y Dumbledore, para lo cual ha asignado a la horrible profesora Dolores Umbridge la tarea de vigilar todos sus movimientos. Así pues, además de sentirse solo e incomprendido, Harry sospecha que Voldemort puede adivinar sus pensamientos, e intuye que el temible mago trata de apoderarse de un objeto secreto que le permitiría recuperar su poder destructivo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Masini, BeatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ragusa, AngelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil, Jessica, and David,
who make my world magical.
The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive.
'You two have just apparated on my knees.' - Ron Weasley

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief...or will it?
New teacher is a
psychopath. Don’t believe me?
Then talk to the hand!
(CathWhitney)
Evil just got a
makeover. Pink has never
been so menacing.
(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439358078, Paperback)

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. It's been yet another infuriating and boring summer with the despicable Dursleys, this time with minimal contact from our hero's non-Muggle friends from school. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief... or will it?

The fifth book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series follows the darkest year yet for our young wizard, who finds himself knocked down a peg or three after the events of last year. Somehow, over the summer, gossip (usually traced back to the magic world's newspaper, the Daily Prophet) has turned Harry's tragic and heroic encounter with Voldemort at the Triwizard Tournament into an excuse to ridicule and discount the teen. Even Professor Dumbledore, headmaster of the school, has come under scrutiny by the Ministry of Magic, which refuses to officially acknowledge the terrifying truth that Voldemort is back. Enter a particularly loathsome new character: the toadlike and simpering ("hem, hem") Dolores Umbridge, senior undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, who takes over the vacant position of Defense Against Dark Arts teacher--and in no time manages to become the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, as well. Life isn't getting any easier for Harry Potter. With an overwhelming course load as the fifth years prepare for their Ordinary Wizarding Levels examinations (O.W.Ls), devastating changes in the Gryffindor Quidditch team lineup, vivid dreams about long hallways and closed doors, and increasing pain in his lightning-shaped scar, Harry's resilience is sorely tested.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, more than any of the four previous novels in the series, is a coming-of-age story. Harry faces the thorny transition into adulthood, when adult heroes are revealed to be fallible, and matters that seemed black-and-white suddenly come out in shades of gray. Gone is the wide-eyed innocent, the whiz kid of Sorcerer's Stone. Here we have an adolescent who's sometimes sullen, often confused (especially about girls), and always self-questioning. Confronting death again, as well as a startling prophecy, Harry ends his year at Hogwarts exhausted and pensive. Readers, on the other hand, will be energized as they enter yet again the long waiting period for the next title in the marvelous, magical series. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:37 -0400)

Harry Potter, now a fifth-year student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, struggles with a threatening teacher, a problematic house elf, the dread of upcoming final exams, and haunting dreams that hint toward his mysterious past.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1405321520, 1405903376

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,388,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible