Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix…

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (Book 5) (original 2003; edition 2004)

by J. K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

73,6726512 (4.27)10 / 874
Member:janelle
Title:Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (Book 5)
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2004), Paperback, 870 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, own

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (2003)

English (620)  German (8)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Latvian (1)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All (652)
Quick review: when people say that Harry is too angry in this book... I kinda have to agree. It's weird, but even if I do understand where his anger comes from, it isn't until the last conversation with Dumbledore that the emotional beats of the story actually made me feel for him. The ending is the strong point of the book, but something was off in the emotional bits during most of it that wouldn't allow me to empathise with Harry and it did damped my enjoyment of it to some degree. Make no mistake, this is still a wonderful book. ( )
  anagabymtz08 | Jun 25, 2017 |
I can't say anything that hasn't already been said about this series.
I love it.
It's awesome.
Everyone should read it.
Over and Over.
Starting now.

DO IT!! ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
it's so long and so many things happen in it and it is my favourite harry potter book but IT IS SO UNFAIR I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS HE WAS MY FAVOURITE CHARACTER ITS NOT FAIR
its been so long since i cried like this over a book. from now on i'll just cry every time i see his name. but why him. why. he didnt deserve this. well at least he died laughing. but poor harry. it is all really sad i am so sad ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
Book #5 of the Harry Potter Series, the characters that have remained fairly consistent int their actions and whatnot are beginning to act, well, out of character. Usually level-headed Harry is angry - teen angst - and the adults are all paranoid and freaking out. This book is not of JK's best; there too much drama in this book, compared to the first 4.

Upon re-reading this book, and having completed the series before, I was struck with the amount of intimate detail and foreshadowing. I really have to hand it to Ms. Rowling, she wrote a quality piece of literature that, even having obtained a bachelors in English Literature, still captivates my mind and imagination today. I find these books never cease to amaze me, with the plot, detail, characterization, and twists. I love how they're told primarily from Harry's perspective without being too exclusive of the other characters, and I also love how the emotions of a scared 11 year old are conveyed so well. Every single character is a quality piece. Coming to the end of the series, even re-reading it now, still makes me sad. In this pone particular, I marvel at how well J.K. Rowling manages to portray PTSD, a difficult and many-faceted problem that people seem to gloss over today. She never categorized it, never labeled it, simply showed what it can do to someone as young as 15 years old, and the terrible things it can do to someone's life and the people around them. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
Goodness! I'd forgotten howlong this book was! I can't imagine the challenge of the screenwriters adapting this...particularly with Ms. Rowling hovering.

Despite its length, I still found it engaging, though I did take a couple week hiatus at the half point. Marching on... ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
But tally the book’s strengths and weaknesses as you may, the fact remains that Rowling has once again created a fully-fledged world, and for the experience of being there with Harry, HP5 can’t be beat.

''Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'' is rich and satisfying in almost every respect.

A considerably darker, more psychological book than its predecessors, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" occupies the same emotional and storytelling place in the Potter series as "The Empire Strikes Back" held in the first "Star Wars" trilogy. It provides a sort of fulcrum for the series, marking Harry's emergence from boyhood, and his newfound knowledge that an ancient prophecy holds the secret to Voldemort's obsession with him and his family.

Las tediosas vacaciones de verano en casa de sus tíos todavía no han acabado y Harry se encuentra más inquieto que nunca. Apenas ha tenido noticias de Ron y Hermione, y presiente que algo extraño está sucediendo en Hogwarts. En efecto, cuando por fin comienza otro curso en el famoso colegio de magia y hechicería, sus temores se vuelven realidad. El Ministerio de Magia niega que Voldemort haya regresado y ha iniciado una campaña de desprestigio contra Harry y Dumbledore, para lo cual ha asignado a la horrible profesora Dolores Umbridge la tarea de vigilar todos sus movimientos. Así pues, además de sentirse solo e incomprendido, Harry sospecha que Voldemort puede adivinar sus pensamientos, e intuye que el temible mago trata de apoderarse de un objeto secreto que le permitiría recuperar su poder destructivo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Masini, BeatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ragusa, AngelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil, Jessica, and David,
who make my world magical.
The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive.
'You two have just apparated on my knees.' - Ron Weasley

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief...or will it?

AR Level 7.2, 44 pts
New teacher is a
psychopath. Don’t believe me?
Then talk to the hand!
(CathWhitney)
Evil just got a
makeover. Pink has never
been so menacing.
(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439358078, Paperback)

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. It's been yet another infuriating and boring summer with the despicable Dursleys, this time with minimal contact from our hero's non-Muggle friends from school. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief... or will it?

The fifth book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series follows the darkest year yet for our young wizard, who finds himself knocked down a peg or three after the events of last year. Somehow, over the summer, gossip (usually traced back to the magic world's newspaper, the Daily Prophet) has turned Harry's tragic and heroic encounter with Voldemort at the Triwizard Tournament into an excuse to ridicule and discount the teen. Even Professor Dumbledore, headmaster of the school, has come under scrutiny by the Ministry of Magic, which refuses to officially acknowledge the terrifying truth that Voldemort is back. Enter a particularly loathsome new character: the toadlike and simpering ("hem, hem") Dolores Umbridge, senior undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, who takes over the vacant position of Defense Against Dark Arts teacher--and in no time manages to become the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, as well. Life isn't getting any easier for Harry Potter. With an overwhelming course load as the fifth years prepare for their Ordinary Wizarding Levels examinations (O.W.Ls), devastating changes in the Gryffindor Quidditch team lineup, vivid dreams about long hallways and closed doors, and increasing pain in his lightning-shaped scar, Harry's resilience is sorely tested.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, more than any of the four previous novels in the series, is a coming-of-age story. Harry faces the thorny transition into adulthood, when adult heroes are revealed to be fallible, and matters that seemed black-and-white suddenly come out in shades of gray. Gone is the wide-eyed innocent, the whiz kid of Sorcerer's Stone. Here we have an adolescent who's sometimes sullen, often confused (especially about girls), and always self-questioning. Confronting death again, as well as a startling prophecy, Harry ends his year at Hogwarts exhausted and pensive. Readers, on the other hand, will be energized as they enter yet again the long waiting period for the next title in the marvelous, magical series. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:37 -0400)

Harry Potter, now a fifth-year student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, struggles with a threatening teacher, a problematic house elf, the dread of upcoming final exams, and haunting dreams that hint toward his mysterious past.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,233,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible