Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix…

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (Book 5) (original 2003; edition 2004)

by J. K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

67,6855602 (4.26)10 / 758
Member:janelle
Title:Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (Book 5)
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2004), Paperback, 870 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, own

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (2003)

Recently added bykat32969, INorris, klash83, 826NYC, private library, Victoria_Miller, v_allery, pcsaust, jimocracy

English (530)  German (7)  French (6)  Italian (4)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Latvian (1)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (560)
I love all the books, and I love movies too (although I wish they hadn't changed some things). I reread all the book last year, and I loved it just as much as reading it for the first time. It is more than a story for children, it is a story for the ages. ( )
  mlg11031112 | Apr 10, 2015 |
Yes, this book can be labeled social commentary. I am not going to say a whole lot about the book. Everyone has read these except me. I started late but I have to say, this was my favorite so far. There are things that I don't like about Harry and that makes him a character who is coming of age. In this book, he is a young teen and starting to be interested in girls. He also has a lot of anger and not necessarily obeying the adult figures in his life. The social commentary; the mistreatment of house elves. This book features "Creature" the house elf of Sirius Black and a little bit of Dobbie, house elf freed by Harry Potter in either the first or second book. I am listening to this series (read by Jim Dale) and available on Overdrive. It does address how we can not see where we are not treating individuals right because they've always been our house elves. Taking things for granted because that's the way its always been. ( )
  Kristelh | Apr 6, 2015 |
When the government of the magic world and authorities at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry refuse to believe in the growing threat of a freshly revived Lord Voldemort, fifteen-year-old Harry Potter finds support from his loyal friends in facing the evil wizard and other new terrors. ( )
  Tutter | Feb 25, 2015 |
series- 5th grade- 5th book in the series
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 24, 2015 |
I had a great time reading this book to our 6 children as we drove across the USA, camping and visiting historical sites. We got hooked into the Harry Potter series and enjoyed each and every book, as well as the movies based on them. We recommend these fun, adventuresome books into this magical world to children, families...and adults who just love children's books! ( )
  CILLYart4U | Feb 16, 2015 |
But tally the book’s strengths and weaknesses as you may, the fact remains that Rowling has once again created a fully-fledged world, and for the experience of being there with Harry, HP5 can’t be beat.

''Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'' is rich and satisfying in almost every respect.

A considerably darker, more psychological book than its predecessors, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" occupies the same emotional and storytelling place in the Potter series as "The Empire Strikes Back" held in the first "Star Wars" trilogy. It provides a sort of fulcrum for the series, marking Harry's emergence from boyhood, and his newfound knowledge that an ancient prophecy holds the secret to Voldemort's obsession with him and his family.

Dragones y Monstruos

This would be an appropriate novel students can chose to read on there own. I will keep this in my classroom so the students can grab them at anytime of the year.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Masini, BeatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ragusa, AngelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil, Jessica, and David,
who make my world magical.
The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive.
'You two have just apparated on my knees.' - Ron Weasley
As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief...or will it?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439358078, Paperback)

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. It's been yet another infuriating and boring summer with the despicable Dursleys, this time with minimal contact from our hero's non-Muggle friends from school. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief... or will it?

The fifth book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series follows the darkest year yet for our young wizard, who finds himself knocked down a peg or three after the events of last year. Somehow, over the summer, gossip (usually traced back to the magic world's newspaper, the Daily Prophet) has turned Harry's tragic and heroic encounter with Voldemort at the Triwizard Tournament into an excuse to ridicule and discount the teen. Even Professor Dumbledore, headmaster of the school, has come under scrutiny by the Ministry of Magic, which refuses to officially acknowledge the terrifying truth that Voldemort is back. Enter a particularly loathsome new character: the toadlike and simpering ("hem, hem") Dolores Umbridge, senior undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, who takes over the vacant position of Defense Against Dark Arts teacher--and in no time manages to become the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, as well. Life isn't getting any easier for Harry Potter. With an overwhelming course load as the fifth years prepare for their Ordinary Wizarding Levels examinations (O.W.Ls), devastating changes in the Gryffindor Quidditch team lineup, vivid dreams about long hallways and closed doors, and increasing pain in his lightning-shaped scar, Harry's resilience is sorely tested.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, more than any of the four previous novels in the series, is a coming-of-age story. Harry faces the thorny transition into adulthood, when adult heroes are revealed to be fallible, and matters that seemed black-and-white suddenly come out in shades of gray. Gone is the wide-eyed innocent, the whiz kid of Sorcerer's Stone. Here we have an adolescent who's sometimes sullen, often confused (especially about girls), and always self-questioning. Confronting death again, as well as a startling prophecy, Harry ends his year at Hogwarts exhausted and pensive. Readers, on the other hand, will be energized as they enter yet again the long waiting period for the next title in the marvelous, magical series. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:08 -0400)

Harry Potter, now a fifth-year student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, struggles with a threatening teacher, a problematic house elf, the dread of upcoming final exams, and haunting dreams that hint toward his mysterious past.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1405321520, 1405903376

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,602,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible