Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix…

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5) (original 2003; edition 2004)

by J. K. Rowling

70,9426172 (4.27)10 / 815
Member:NeitherSparky
Title:Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5)
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (2003)

English (587)  German (7)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Latvian (1)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (617)
Still. Brilliant. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Still. Brilliant. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Después de El Prisionero de Azkaban, este es mi segundo libro favorito de la saga, ya que es donde comienzan realmente a encajar todas las piezas del rompecabezas. No cabe duda de que Rowling realmente supo cuadrar muy bien toda la trama. Un claro ejemplo es que en el inicio, cuando están limpiando la nueva casa para la Orden, mencionan "un enorme guardapelo que nadie pudo abrir". Pensar que las pistas siempre estuvieron allí...

Lo único malo de la historia es: Harry Potter. Sentirte excluido y como una víctima, supongo que puede considerarse "normal" de alguien de 15 años. Pero eso no hace que sea menos molesto.

Y por último, no importa cuantas veces lo haya leído, cuantas veces haya visto la película, ni tampoco que sepa de memoria exactamente lo que va a pasar... la muerte de Sirius siempre me parte el corazón :( ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
“Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.”

This book may not be perfect, but it was inching its way toward that finish line. I enjoy comedic, childlike humor as much as the rest of the fans, but to me when the story gets a little darker (deeper), it gets even better.

We get a return of favorite characters, but as with the other books, we also get new ones. While the rest of the series introduced new characters that were fun and that we actually wanted to read about, here it just seems like two main hate-filled creatures show up: Dolores Umbridge (shudder) and Bellatrix (who I can't stand.)

Harry is now 15 and showing it through teenage angst and mood swings. Happily this didn't bother me because - let's face it - these are dark times in the young wizard's life and him being happy-go-lucky would just be unrealistic. Plus the teenager hormones were already tweaked anyway because of his friends, Dumbledore, and the wizarding community basically ignoring him for a summer. Then you have the Voldemort strange triangle in his head, probably fueling that anger. I noticed when watching the movie that they played up the potential possession while in the book it was hinted as a possibility, left for the reader to muse about themselves and see what happens.

Hermione and Ron show considerable patience with their temper-triggered friend, becoming of all things, perfects in the school. It was an ironic touch for the series but would have worked just as well without it. Loony Luna is a delight because the girl is simply so strange, although the convenience of her character's connected to a newspaper owning father comes into play as well. There's Fred and George, who I always loved in the books but who seem lusterless in the movies - here they rocked with their unique style of misbehavior, especially when showing up a certain new villain.

Where this book shines character-wise is Neville, who is so awesome as a friend suddenly and co-fighter. There's a teary situation in the hospital, and how he stands by Harry (stuffed nose and all) in a fight later was heart-winning. Dumbledore finally gets to show us why he has such an awesome, badass reputation in the wizarding world, and I couldn't be happier with the two scenes that showed him flexing the magic muscle.

“You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts...but you cannot deny he's got style...”

Since Snape is a favorite of mine but only shows his face occasionally, it was a further delight that Harry had to learn Occlumency from the professor. The scenes were intense and, although a small subplot, mesmerized me. They showed a glimpse into the life of Harry's parents before he put them on a pedestal.

Can we all agree that McGonagall is even more likable after this book? I didn't care about her the first few, but she keeps growing on me. Here she's amazing.

Sirius...ah, Sirius. This book shows even further that he is dependent upon Harry because he misses James so much and sees the father in the son. There was a sad scene in the fire where he withdraws from Harry a bit because he's disappointed. He spends much of the book frustrated and lonely, which was realistic and deep but depressing. I love their relationship, both without families but connecting to each other due to that.

Let's wave aside the villain of Voldemort for this book, shall we? He's there, he's bad, but he's not that frequent and he isn't the one who really irritated readers in this one. Those badges go to the annoying Umbridge we all loved to hate and the evil Bellatrix. Umbridge is around for the majority of book, raising shivers of annoyance. Besides her arrogant attitude that made me want to slap her, there's the beyond disturbing punishment with that blood quill and poor Harry. It certainly brought a twisted touch to the series that was almost missing before.

I hate to see Harry tricked at the end, but you can't keep a series real and have the character be perfect in predictions every time. The book misses that perfect finish line because there are too many lucky coincidences that come in handy and save the characters throughout fight scenes, but they were still imaginative and adventurous. It's a large book, 870 pages, and if you stand back and examine it, not a lot of action actually happens. Still, it's so easy to get sucked in and so hard to look away.

There's a heartbreaking, soul-slapping death that I don't think I'll get over. I knew it was coming, but couldn't remember the order from the movies when it would show up. Sadness! It was sudden and shocking and just awful. Harry's emotion afterwards was realistic and well done.

J.K. Rowling continues this series with talent, and the books really do keep getting better and better. A timeless series that should continue to bewitch future generations. ( )
  Paperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
The book I will be reviewing is Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. What happens in this book is Harry gets a Dark Arts teacher named Dolores Umbridge who is very cruel to Harry. Some of his friends/family (Sirius since his mother and father are dead) are part of a secret order called the Order of the Phoenix. Meanwhile Voldemort is still planning his army. Harry had a girlfriend named Cho. Ron (his best friend) became part of the Quidditch team and Harry got kicked of for a little bit. Hagrid ran from giants, Luna is still as looney and smart at the end, Harry fought Dementors and saved his cousin, survived a hearing, saw the sirius family tree, Percy turned against his family, and I learned Malfoy and Ron are in the same family.
I am giving this book a 5 star rating. I loved the action and the suspense in this book so much! I liked the new characters added in this book. It is not at all compared to the movie because it is way better. My favorite character is Luna and she finally showed up in the book. This book also had a lot of detail. That is why this book deserves five stars. ( )
  Paris.Hudson | Jun 3, 2016 |
But tally the book’s strengths and weaknesses as you may, the fact remains that Rowling has once again created a fully-fledged world, and for the experience of being there with Harry, HP5 can’t be beat.

''Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'' is rich and satisfying in almost every respect.

A considerably darker, more psychological book than its predecessors, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" occupies the same emotional and storytelling place in the Potter series as "The Empire Strikes Back" held in the first "Star Wars" trilogy. It provides a sort of fulcrum for the series, marking Harry's emergence from boyhood, and his newfound knowledge that an ancient prophecy holds the secret to Voldemort's obsession with him and his family.

Las tediosas vacaciones de verano en casa de sus tíos todavía no han acabado y Harry se encuentra más inquieto que nunca. Apenas ha tenido noticias de Ron y Hermione, y presiente que algo extraño está sucediendo en Hogwarts. En efecto, cuando por fin comienza otro curso en el famoso colegio de magia y hechicería, sus temores se vuelven realidad. El Ministerio de Magia niega que Voldemort haya regresado y ha iniciado una campaña de desprestigio contra Harry y Dumbledore, para lo cual ha asignado a la horrible profesora Dolores Umbridge la tarea de vigilar todos sus movimientos. Así pues, además de sentirse solo e incomprendido, Harry sospecha que Voldemort puede adivinar sus pensamientos, e intuye que el temible mago trata de apoderarse de un objeto secreto que le permitiría recuperar su poder destructivo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Masini, BeatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ragusa, AngelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil, Jessica, and David,
who make my world magical.
The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive.
'You two have just apparated on my knees.' - Ron Weasley
As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief...or will it?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439358078, Paperback)

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. It's been yet another infuriating and boring summer with the despicable Dursleys, this time with minimal contact from our hero's non-Muggle friends from school. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief... or will it?

The fifth book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series follows the darkest year yet for our young wizard, who finds himself knocked down a peg or three after the events of last year. Somehow, over the summer, gossip (usually traced back to the magic world's newspaper, the Daily Prophet) has turned Harry's tragic and heroic encounter with Voldemort at the Triwizard Tournament into an excuse to ridicule and discount the teen. Even Professor Dumbledore, headmaster of the school, has come under scrutiny by the Ministry of Magic, which refuses to officially acknowledge the terrifying truth that Voldemort is back. Enter a particularly loathsome new character: the toadlike and simpering ("hem, hem") Dolores Umbridge, senior undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, who takes over the vacant position of Defense Against Dark Arts teacher--and in no time manages to become the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, as well. Life isn't getting any easier for Harry Potter. With an overwhelming course load as the fifth years prepare for their Ordinary Wizarding Levels examinations (O.W.Ls), devastating changes in the Gryffindor Quidditch team lineup, vivid dreams about long hallways and closed doors, and increasing pain in his lightning-shaped scar, Harry's resilience is sorely tested.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, more than any of the four previous novels in the series, is a coming-of-age story. Harry faces the thorny transition into adulthood, when adult heroes are revealed to be fallible, and matters that seemed black-and-white suddenly come out in shades of gray. Gone is the wide-eyed innocent, the whiz kid of Sorcerer's Stone. Here we have an adolescent who's sometimes sullen, often confused (especially about girls), and always self-questioning. Confronting death again, as well as a startling prophecy, Harry ends his year at Hogwarts exhausted and pensive. Readers, on the other hand, will be energized as they enter yet again the long waiting period for the next title in the marvelous, magical series. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:37 -0400)

Harry is in his fifth year at Hogwarts as the adventures continue.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1405321520, 1405903376

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,716,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible