Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix by…

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (original 2003; edition 2004)

by J. K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

66,7475424 (4.26)10 / 728
Member:Dj090595
Title:Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré
Info:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (2003)

English (514)  German (7)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Latvian (1)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (543)
Since I read the final three books one immediately after the other, they kind of run together in my mind so I'll jot down my impressions of them as a whole. At some point during the books, I just found it all very depressing. It was as though Harry was never ever going to have a happy day in his life ever again. It was almost too much. I really wish Rowling had interjected just a little relief. At some point, I was wondering why Harry didn't just kill himself. Seriously, he had nothing good in his life. It got a bit old. The other thing that bothered me was the snogging -- I think it was overdone and got a little old. Move on with the story. Also, it bothered me that Harry just wasn't very nice to his friends. There were times that he didn't deserve Ron and Hermione. Thankfully, in the last book, Harry changed. He trusted his friends and gave more of himself to them. When that happened, he finally became worthy in my mind. I suppose that's what the author intended, but getting to that point was a little tedious at times. The last book was so intense though that I can't imagine a young child reading it. The danger and menace were simply unrelenting. I can see that being disturbing for someone young. I overall enjoyed the books very much and found the ending very satisfactory. You really do not know until the end whether or not Harry will live. My only disappointment was that there was no postscript for Lara -- she was a great character and deserved that. And I was also confused -- how did Neville get the sword of Gryffyndor? I don't think it ever explained. Maybe I missed something. Anyway, Rowling did a great job of bringing it all together in the final book and making Harry Potter a true hero and a good friend. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 20, 2014 |
Is it weird that I like this book in part because my favourite character dies?

I'm twisted, I know. But that's not the only reason. I like Harry being all angsty. It seems realistic. He's gone through a hell of a lot, it's no surprise it's made him incredibly angry at the world. That it's realistic is not necessarily the draw - one of the pro's about fiction is being able to avoid the realistic option in favour of the more satisfying one. However, in this case, it worked for me. Bear in mind, I was fourteen, nearly fifteen, when this was released. I had a lot of pent up rage.

Plus:

That scene with Fred and George.
Umbridge, you evil bitch you.
Dumbledore's Army.
Neville, you adorable little fool. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
(5.9)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
It always seems a bit weird that the life events happening with Voldemort's return coincide so perfectly with the Hogwarts school year...really most of the big showdowns happen after exams...and it seems that nothing big ever hapens from september til may...

There is defeinitly a lot of info in this book, and it showcases how Rowling's writing has gotten much better. I do wish the chapters were a bit shorter and more aptly titled. many times a chapter's heading refers to the last third or half of the chapter while the front bit progresses the story and may have events of its own that could have been broken into a chapter. i suppose this would cause for more illustrations however.

General thoughts:
disillusionment charm to make someone invisible, does it also affect what they touch? such as broomstick?

memos by paper airplanes is quite imaginitive; in today's world are there enough red phone booths remaining where one dilapidated one would not stand out?

how many times is the phrase "shut up" used in the series?

harry is a bit of whiny prat, with overthinking dumbledore's not talking and getting irritated with any and everyone

do wizards have wake up alarms?

in order to see threstrals, one must see death. how come it took cedric for harry to see them but not witnessing his mom's death since she died over him?

so if magical healing is so much better than muggle healing, how come muggle doctors cant "learn" about magical cures, even non magicals can do potions or antidotes etc...they can just be bought from "overseas"

ginny already talks to harry like a wife and doesnt take his crap antics

harry and hermione are very close and always the first to grab on and push away from the danger...no wonder i thot they might get together all those years ago

the prophecy sounds a little like that of the Greek, Perseus in that Voldemort is trying to kill harry but harry ended up killing voldemort all the same ( )
  T4NK | Sep 30, 2014 |
Yes, yes, I special-ordered my book from Canada for the recycled paper and the chlorine-free inks.

While I enjoyed the fourth book, the fifth book started to feel a little bit sloppy to me. The psychology of some of the characters, particularly Harry and Dumbeldore felt inconsistent. Some of the plot points seemed forced, as if they were just getting us where we needed to go, without thought to whether or not it made any sense. In particular, I am highly annoyed at the death at the end of the book, not only who was killed off but also the manner of the killing. I don't want to get into details because I hate spoilers (though the fact that someone dies at the end of book #5 was fairly well publicized), so I'll just say that I thought it was crap.
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
But tally the book’s strengths and weaknesses as you may, the fact remains that Rowling has once again created a fully-fledged world, and for the experience of being there with Harry, HP5 can’t be beat.

''Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'' is rich and satisfying in almost every respect.

A considerably darker, more psychological book than its predecessors, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" occupies the same emotional and storytelling place in the Potter series as "The Empire Strikes Back" held in the first "Star Wars" trilogy. It provides a sort of fulcrum for the series, marking Harry's emergence from boyhood, and his newfound knowledge that an ancient prophecy holds the secret to Voldemort's obsession with him and his family.

Dragones y Monstruos

This would be an appropriate novel students can chose to read on there own. I will keep this in my classroom so the students can grab them at anytime of the year.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Masini, BeatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ragusa, AngelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil, Jessica, and David,
who make my world magical.
The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive.
'You two have just apparated on my knees.' - Ron Weasley
As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief...or will it?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439358078, Paperback)

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. It's been yet another infuriating and boring summer with the despicable Dursleys, this time with minimal contact from our hero's non-Muggle friends from school. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief... or will it?

The fifth book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series follows the darkest year yet for our young wizard, who finds himself knocked down a peg or three after the events of last year. Somehow, over the summer, gossip (usually traced back to the magic world's newspaper, the Daily Prophet) has turned Harry's tragic and heroic encounter with Voldemort at the Triwizard Tournament into an excuse to ridicule and discount the teen. Even Professor Dumbledore, headmaster of the school, has come under scrutiny by the Ministry of Magic, which refuses to officially acknowledge the terrifying truth that Voldemort is back. Enter a particularly loathsome new character: the toadlike and simpering ("hem, hem") Dolores Umbridge, senior undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, who takes over the vacant position of Defense Against Dark Arts teacher--and in no time manages to become the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, as well. Life isn't getting any easier for Harry Potter. With an overwhelming course load as the fifth years prepare for their Ordinary Wizarding Levels examinations (O.W.Ls), devastating changes in the Gryffindor Quidditch team lineup, vivid dreams about long hallways and closed doors, and increasing pain in his lightning-shaped scar, Harry's resilience is sorely tested.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, more than any of the four previous novels in the series, is a coming-of-age story. Harry faces the thorny transition into adulthood, when adult heroes are revealed to be fallible, and matters that seemed black-and-white suddenly come out in shades of gray. Gone is the wide-eyed innocent, the whiz kid of Sorcerer's Stone. Here we have an adolescent who's sometimes sullen, often confused (especially about girls), and always self-questioning. Confronting death again, as well as a startling prophecy, Harry ends his year at Hogwarts exhausted and pensive. Readers, on the other hand, will be energized as they enter yet again the long waiting period for the next title in the marvelous, magical series. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:08 -0400)

Harry Potter, now a fifth-year student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, struggles with a threatening teacher, a problematic house elf, the dread of upcoming final exams, and haunting dreams that hint toward his mysterious past.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1405321520, 1405903376

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,367,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible