Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix by…

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (original 2003; edition 2004)

by J. K. Rowling

78,6217035 (4.27)10 / 929
Member:aframel
Title:Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2004), Paperback, 870 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:to-read

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (2003)

Elevenses (169)

English (667)  German (9)  French (6)  Italian (5)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (3)  Latvian (1)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (704)
Reread. It's still a great series ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
Summary: This is the 5th Book in the Harry Potter series. Harry Potter a wizard boy and the "Chosen one" is being kept in the dark. Harry has stopped recieving letters from his friends and family and it's irritating him. He soon finds out (after getting brought to Sirius's old house) That everyone new something, when he didn't, by the orders of Dumbledore. He learns about the Order of the Phoenix, and orginazation brought together to take down Voldemort. He soon goes back to Hogwarts, starting on his 5th year. The rest of the book precede's as the following. Before going back to Hogwarts Harry is on trial for using the Patronus charm in front of a muggle. at the ministry he learns of the Department of Mysteries. The trial goes well, Dumbledore being there to help. When he goes back to Hogwarts they again have a new DADA teacher, a ministry working by the name of Dolores Umbridge, who hopes to turn this school into one the Ministry approves of. Harry forms later the DA (Dumbledore's Army) to help train students in DADA (Umbridge isn't doing a very good job) They train for the whole year, going through multiple tests to keep the DA secret. One night Harry has a vison (one of which he's been having quite a lot) that Mr. Weasley is in danger. Harry's right and they go and save him. Mr.Weasley is fine though, Harry now know's he has visions. The rest of the time at the school goes ok (give or take a few times) Near the end Harry has another vision, of Sirius getting tortured by Voldemort at the Department of Mysteries. He rallies up the DA and goes to the ministry. They look around but, Sirius isn't there. Actually it was a trap made by Voldemort. His Death Eater's are there to get Harry's Prophecy. The DA doesn't go down without a fight and they manage to fight them off, before the Order of the Phoenix comes in time. Here Sirius dies, by the hand of his cousin, Bellatrix. Harry then meet's the new form of Voldemort, who tries to kill him. Dumbledore suddenly appears and battles Voldemort, to which he wins. They return to Hogwarts and Dumbledore reveals the secret of the Prophecy to Harry.

Opinion: Again, I love this book! One of my other favorites! I cried when Sirius died and I was happy Umbridge got trampled by Cenetaurs (hehe) Umbridge is a character in which I HATE! I don't really know why, but I do. Making Harry go through that awful detention. I honestly love this book! (I love Harry Potter in general) and I would reccomend this highly (if you haven't already read it) Sorry for the really compact summary, I didn't want it to be to long and take forever to grade :) I beleive I summarized is well, anyway. If not you can always ask me about it more :D So yeah, Read this book I love it! it will always hold a special place in my heart, that just makes me feel so happy rereading it. ( )
  AbagailC.G1 | Jan 17, 2019 |
Very disappointing. Despite all the excellent series, I expected more from this book. ( )
  RUTHKOLOCKR | Jan 11, 2019 |
In my opinion, by far the best book of the series. It has great new locations (the Ministry of Magic, the Order HQ ...) and interesting new characters (Tonks, Luna ...). Harry is a realistic, angry teenager instead of being a generic one with a lack of personality.

The atmosphere grows even more dark, which is a plus. A minus is the introduction of the prophecy, which is an overused device and a cop out. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
This is the 5th book of the Harry Potter series.

There was some big happenings in this book, but mostly it felt like just good storytelling, and not so much singularly plot-driven. I looked forward to it each day.

It seemed really, really long but it's only 766 pages. It is the longest book in the series though. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Dec 12, 2018 |
The family romance is a latency-period fantasy, belonging to the drowsy years between 7 and adolescence. In ''Order of the Phoenix,'' Harry, now 15, is meant to be adolescent. He spends a lot of the book becoming excessively angry with his protectors and tormentors alike. He discovers that his late (and ''real'') father was not a perfect magical role model, but someone who went in for fits of nasty playground bullying. He also discovers that his mind is linked to the evil Lord Voldemort, thereby making him responsible in some measure for acts of violence his nemesis commits...

Ms. Rowling's magic world has no place for the numinous. It is written for people whose imaginative lives are confined to TV cartoons, and the exaggerated (more exciting, not threatening) mirror-worlds of soaps, reality TV and celebrity gossip. Its values, and everything in it, are, as Gatsby said of his own world when the light had gone out of his dream, ''only personal.'' Nobody is trying to save or destroy anything beyond Harry Potter and his friends and family.
added by SnootyBaronet | editThe New York Times, A.S. Byatt

Las tediosas vacaciones de verano en casa de sus tíos todavía no han acabado y Harry se encuentra más inquieto que nunca. Apenas ha tenido noticias de Ron y Hermione, y presiente que algo extraño está sucediendo en Hogwarts. En efecto, cuando por fin comienza otro curso en el famoso colegio de magia y hechicería, sus temores se vuelven realidad. El Ministerio de Magia niega que Voldemort haya regresado y ha iniciado una campaña de desprestigio contra Harry y Dumbledore, para lo cual ha asignado a la horrible profesora Dolores Umbridge la tarea de vigilar todos sus movimientos. Así pues, además de sentirse solo e incomprendido, Harry sospecha que Voldemort puede adivinar sus pensamientos, e intuye que el temible mago trata de apoderarse de un objeto secreto que le permitiría recuperar su poder destructivo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tóth, Tamás BoldizsárTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilharm, SabineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil, Jessica, and David,
who make my world magical.
The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive.
'You two have just apparated on my knees.' - Ron Weasley

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief...or will it?

AR Level 7.2, 44 pts
New teacher is a
psychopath. Don’t believe me?
Then talk to the hand!
(CathWhitney)
Evil just got a
makeover. Pink has never
been so menacing.
(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439358078, Paperback)

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. It's been yet another infuriating and boring summer with the despicable Dursleys, this time with minimal contact from our hero's non-Muggle friends from school. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief... or will it?

The fifth book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series follows the darkest year yet for our young wizard, who finds himself knocked down a peg or three after the events of last year. Somehow, over the summer, gossip (usually traced back to the magic world's newspaper, the Daily Prophet) has turned Harry's tragic and heroic encounter with Voldemort at the Triwizard Tournament into an excuse to ridicule and discount the teen. Even Professor Dumbledore, headmaster of the school, has come under scrutiny by the Ministry of Magic, which refuses to officially acknowledge the terrifying truth that Voldemort is back. Enter a particularly loathsome new character: the toadlike and simpering ("hem, hem") Dolores Umbridge, senior undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, who takes over the vacant position of Defense Against Dark Arts teacher--and in no time manages to become the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, as well. Life isn't getting any easier for Harry Potter. With an overwhelming course load as the fifth years prepare for their Ordinary Wizarding Levels examinations (O.W.Ls), devastating changes in the Gryffindor Quidditch team lineup, vivid dreams about long hallways and closed doors, and increasing pain in his lightning-shaped scar, Harry's resilience is sorely tested.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, more than any of the four previous novels in the series, is a coming-of-age story. Harry faces the thorny transition into adulthood, when adult heroes are revealed to be fallible, and matters that seemed black-and-white suddenly come out in shades of gray. Gone is the wide-eyed innocent, the whiz kid of Sorcerer's Stone. Here we have an adolescent who's sometimes sullen, often confused (especially about girls), and always self-questioning. Confronting death again, as well as a startling prophecy, Harry ends his year at Hogwarts exhausted and pensive. Readers, on the other hand, will be energized as they enter yet again the long waiting period for the next title in the marvelous, magical series. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:37 -0400)

When the government of the magic world and authorities at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry refuse to believe in the growing threat of a freshly revived Lord Voldemort, fifteen-year-old Harry Potter finds support from his loyal friends in facing the evil wizard and other new terrors.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,472,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible