Seascape by Edward Albee

Seascape (1975)

by Edward Albee

a quick discourse on the pros and cons of living your life (versus just living) that he weighs for you (comfort versus the unknown) but in the end doesn't answer.

i'm really not a fan of anthropomorphizing (like the ability to speak english) random animals to make a point that could just as easily be made using actual people. or a different story. or only animals. or whatever. it annoys me in general and it annoyed me in this play; as did the explanations of things that these lizards didn't know because they aren't people. the people themselves also annoyed me quite a bit. this by itself isn't relevant except that all the annoying picking they did at each other seemed drawn out and for the sole purpose of lengthening this very slim play.

a quick read with a worthwhile question being addressed, and i even found myself smiling a few times throughout, but overall not my thing. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Feb 17, 2014 |
It's a Pulitzer Prize winning play by Edward Albee with shades of George & Martha from Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf but with more evident affection between the pair. A funny, often frustrating and in-depth dialogue about what it means to be human, the relationships we form and how they define us.

Also, there are giant talking lizard people.

I love the legitimate theatre. ( )
  Ceilidhann | Sep 20, 2013 |

On the heels of the success of Edward Albee's The Collected Plays of Edward Albee, Overlook brings back--in a stand-alone volume--one of Albee's most cherished plays, a fantastic story of what it means to be alive--winner of the 1975 Pulitzer Prize for Drama.

On a deserted stretch of beach, a middle-aged couple relaxes after a picnic lunch and converse idly about home, family, and their life together. She sketches; he naps. Then, suddenly, they are joined by two sea creatures, a pair of lizards from the depths of the ocean, with whom they engage in a fascinating dialogue. The emotional and intellectual reverberations of this bizarre conversation will linger in the heart and the mind long after the curtain falls--or the last page is turned.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Play is a literate and eloquent rumination on evolution and the meaning of life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,592,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible