Frozen Man by David Getz

Frozen Man

by David Getz

Other authors: Peter McCarty (Illustrator)

This book is a great book is students are learning about the mummified Ice Man in the Alps. This gives a background on it and can make students interested in scientific discoveries and how humans used to be. The best ages would be for 1-2 grade. This can prepare students for future history lessons on this subject and can have activities to understand what scientists did to find the body.
  jrudnick | Apr 25, 2016 |
In its entirety, this small book packs a lot of information and is highly recommended to lower-leveled middle school students. The book begins with the discovery of a frozen man in the Alps. At first the discovery is reported to local police who believe that the man was possibly murdered. Closer observation of the man and his belongings suggests that the man is not event from this time.

After careful examination, it is concluded that the frozen man is from the Copper Age. Scientists piece the evidence together to create a profile of the frozen man.

This nonfiction read is great from young investigators. The will definitely keep the readers interest until the very end when the cause of the frozen man's death is reported.

I regret that I discovered this book so late in the school year. My students and I loved this book. I will definitely read it to my 6th graders when we study the transition between the Stone, Copper, and Bronze Ages. ( )
  bdharrel | May 1, 2014 |

David Getzprimary authorall editionscalculated
McCarty, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

When an archaeologist examines a body found frozen in the Austrian Alps, he learns something extraordinary. The well-preserved body-- and the tools and clothing found at the site-- indicates that the man died more than 5,000 years ago.

* ALA Recommended Book for Reluctant Readers
* Hungry Mind Review Children's Book of Distinction
* NSTA-CBC Outstanding Science Trade Book for Children

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

What scientists and archaeologists learned when the mummified body of a man who lived over 5,000 years ago was found in the Italian Alps.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,367,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible