What's Going on in There? : How the…

What's Going on in There? : How the Brain and Mind Develop in the… (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Lise Eliot

Member:ema-adama
Title:What's Going on in There? : How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life
Authors:Lise Eliot
Info:Bantam (2000), Edition: 1, Paperback, 544 pages

What's Going on in There? : How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life by Lise Eliot (1999)

English (8)  German (2)  All languages (10)
a text book that introduces the brain's develop through the first five year. The book discusses: the evolution of motor skills, emotions, memory, self-control, language, attention, and intelligence.
1 book
  TUCC | Jun 28, 2017 |
Really good information on where the brain capabilities are for the first years of life and how the senses all "turn on". Author did ignore and give abandoning single mothers a pass and didn't report on the outcome science with attachment that is published. ( )
  BillRob | Feb 13, 2016 |
Very good and very thorough. It is packed with biology though, so if you are one of those, "Why does it have to sound so technical?" types, then find another book. Otherwise, a great way to know and understand what is going on development-wise with your baby's brain. ( )
  ArcticLlama | Feb 14, 2009 |
Just about every day as I was reading this book, I would flag an interesting sentence or paragraph to share with my partner. I found it fascinating, and before it goes back to the library I'm going to type up a few quotes to keep around for reference.

A few interesting things I learned:
* The flavor of your breast milk changes depending on what you eat.
* For optimal language development, it's important to have conversations with even young infants. You can do this with face-to-face contact and taking turns so your child gets to hear you speak but also gets a chance to practice herself. Even babies need to know that they are being addressed *and* that they are being heard.
* Sensitive parenting can improve a child's temperament. This means being aware of a baby's signals and responding promptly to her needs. And no matter how busy you are, they should feel that you are available and not ignoring them.
* Babies prefer novelty--new places, toys, experiences. It helps their brains grow.
* Daily infant massage improves a baby's motor skills development.

I like how the author structures each chapter--starting with the biology up front and then ending with how you can encourage that particular area of development, whether it's a sense, motor skills, social-emotional growth, memory, language, or intelligence. (I have to admit that I skipped over some of the biological details, and that structure made it easy for me to do that!)

The book did leave me with a few unanswered questions. For example, I wanted to know what impact baby sign language has on overall language development. And the author mentions that children in bilingual homes start talking later, but she didn't talk about the optimal age for starting to introduce a second language.

But I would highly recommend this book to any parent interested in how their child's mind is developing. ( )
1 vote kellyholmes | Jun 29, 2008 |
Written by a neuroscientist, this fascinating book describes how a baby's brain is formed and how each sense develops. She looks at the role genetics and environment play in brain development and discusses what parents can do to help their babies be smarter and happier. (Hint: breastfeed and get them piano lessons!) ( )
1 vote justjill | Dec 15, 2007 |
Wouldn't you know it?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553378252, Paperback)

Though not for the impatient, What's Going on in There? How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life will undoubtedly make you a better parent. It is thick, detailed, and scientific. But it is also accessible to parents who have the time and patience to immerse themselves in the latest research on brain development. And for those who do, the rewards can be great.

You'll understand the inner workings of the brain like never before. You'll learn the latest thinking on the nature vs. nurture question. You'll gain invaluable insights into the evolution of the senses, motor skills, social and emotional growth, memory, language, and intelligence. But most importantly, you'll understand--maybe for the first time--exactly how great your contribution as a parent can be to the development of your young child's brain. Written by Lise Eliot, Ph.D., a neurobiologist and mother of three, What's Going on in There? is an immensely intelligent labor of love. It is based on the author's own "odyssey of discovery" as she sought answers to questions about her own role in carrying, delivering, and parenting her children. --Kelley Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:10 -0400)

Charts the development of the human brain from conception through the first five years, looking at the way a child's brain is assembled and the implications of this sequence for each emerging mental skill, including sensation, emotion, language, movement, memory, and intelligence.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,125,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible