Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues by…

Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues

by Michael Brandman (Author)

This book was similar to Robert B Parker's books but had a different flavor to the story. I am glad the stories continue. ( )
  lmonch | Jul 10, 2015 |
I had previously read one of Parker's novels in the Jesse Stone series and I absolutely hated it. With a new author on board, I figured I would give it a try and I was pleasantly surprised. There were multiple story lines going on this novel. The most prominent is an ex-con Stone had seriously messed up while he was drunk and angry coming after him in Paradise. A car theft ring with mob ties ends up in murder. A bullied girl holds her principal at gun point, and Stone develops a love interest. It's almost too much going on for such a short novel, but at least it kept the story moving at all times, and there is little wasted space.

I liked the writing style in this novel, more so than Robert Parker's. As I mentioned, the pace was strong. I thought the portrayal of Jesse Stone was well done. There were some elements of believability that were lacking. For one thing, for a small resort town, there is a hell of a lot of crime going on. It's almost a bit much. The other thing that I didn't care for was that the story lines were wrapped up a little too cleanly, and there was too much of a redemption theme going on. Overall, I did enjoy the novel as a light, fun read.

Carl Alves - author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Apr 4, 2015 |
Michael Brandman has done a creditable job of replicating Robert B. Parker’s fictional police chief, Jesse Stone, in Killing the Blues. Jesse has to deal with a series of car thefts in his bailiwick of Paradise, Massachusetts; murder; the release from prison of a psychopath bent on wreaking his revenge on Jesse; and the old temptations of the bottle. The dialog is not quite as sassy as we came to expect of Parker (who died in 2010), but Brandman handles a complicated plot line at least as well as the originator of the series. This was an enjoyable, easy read that I devoured in one sitting.

(JAB) ( )
1 vote nbmars | Feb 13, 2014 |
Always a pleasure. The Boston connection is always interesting. ( )
  gwasher | Oct 10, 2013 |
I always liked the Jesse Stone series better than Parker's Spenser novels. After his death, the series has apparently been taken over by Michael Brandman, and it's been a disappointment. He's tried to capture the staccato cadence of Parker's books and succeeded to some extent, but Stone has lost all subtlety and he's not as interesting a character. Meld that with several irrelevant side-plots that muddy things (cat, bullying, personal vendetta, another real estate agent squeeze, etc.) and one wonders where things are going. Brandman is just trying to hard to add the pop-psychology crap that irritated me in the Spenser novels, and we are expected to believe that Jesse Stone lecturing a group of girls on their bad behavior will immediately reform them. Then he lectures the principal of the school in a silly diatribe. Molly and Suit disappear into the muck whereas in the real Stone books they were developing into interesting characters.

Oh well. Robert Parker should be left to rest in peace. The idea that anyone could simply pick up and continue a series demeans the author's craft. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
For Joanna.....who makes everything possible.....and for Bob.
Coffee was the only thing on Jesse Stone's mind when he entered the Paradise police station on a bright New England spring morning.
"coply intuition"
Author is Michael Brandman; not Robert B. Parker.

Paradise, Massachusetts, police chief Jesse Stone returns in a brilliant new addition to the New York Times-bestselling series.

Paradise, Massachusetts, is preparing for the summer tourist season when a string of car thefts disturbs what is usually a quiet time in town. In a sudden escalation of violence, the thefts become murder, and chief of police Jesse Stone finds himself facing one of the toughest cases of his career. Pressure from the town politicians only increases when another crime wave puts residents on edge. Jesse confronts a personal dilemma as well: a burgeoning relationship with a young PR executive, whose plans to turn Paradise into a summertime concert destination may have her running afoul of the law.

When a mysterious figure from Jesse's past arrives in town, memories of his last troubled days as a cop in L.A. threaten his ability to keep order in Paradise-especially when it appears that the stranger is out for revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:22 -0400)

Massachusetts police chief Jesse Stone's investigation of a violent series of car thefts is complicated by political pressures, the summer tourist season, and the questionable goals of an ambitious PR executive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,381,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible