The Pub Across The Pond by Mary Carter

The Pub Across The Pond (edition 2011)

by Mary Carter

Member:blondestranger
Title:The Pub Across The Pond
Authors:Mary Carter
Info:Kensington (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Chic Lit, Ireland

The Pub Across The Pond by Mary Carter

I listened to this book on audible as driving to my client site in the northern Chicago burbs. Was a silly little story that got you hooked. Fun way to spend the commute. ( )
  blondestranger | Dec 18, 2012 |
I have to be honest, I bought this book in September of 2011, and picked it up and put it down a few times. I was just very confused by the prologue. When I finally really started reading it a couple days ago, it all fell into place!! I totally enjoyed this book!!! I was raised in a very Irish Catholic family, and my Grandparents were "come-overs".
Carlene is a young woman who has never recovered from her Mother's death, of which she feels at fault. She was five! Her Father has severe OCD, and she has taken care of him for years, more so as time goes on. Taking a chance on a raffle at an Irish Festival in Ohio, encouraged by her best friend, she wins!!!! Then the fun begins!!
I loved the humor, the characters, and even the coarse language. It sounds so much different when it's spoken in "irish". Her "boys" in the pub are heartwarming, as is all the twists and turns of her falling in love with Ronan. I did not want this book to end, I wanted more chapters. What about Ciarin, Sally, and of course obnoxious Uncle Joe? I would highly recommend this romp of a tale to anyone who likes some laughter with their romance. ( )
  Pat.Egan.Fordyce | Feb 9, 2012 |
When Carlene Rivers enters a raffle, she never expected to win, but to her great surprise she did! The prize, a little pub in Ireland. Everyone is shocked and surprised when she actually moves to Ireland to claim her winnings. Carlene soon discovers that Ireland is more than shamrocks and Guinness. She finds family in strangers, love in the unexpected, and freedom in truth.

The Pub Across the Pond is a feel good read, sure to warm the cockles of your heart! I love, love,loved it! Every single character is packed with personality. Romance slowly blossoms, friendships are nurtured, and the power of forgiveness works it's magic too!

I enjoyed this book so much, definitely one of my favorites this year! I can't wait to see what Mary Carter has in store for us next! ( )
1 vote g82hug | Nov 9, 2011 |
Carlene Rivers is unlucky, at love and at life it seems but something told her to buy a raffle ticket at an Irish fair in Ohio, only $20.00 to win a pub in Ireland.
Ronan McBride is a rogue and a gambler, he’s never found the right woman to settle him down but when he looses the family pub in a poker game the women in his family take matters into their own hands, they offer the pub in a raffle, in America open only to Yanks.
Carlene and her winning raffle ticket show up in Ballybeog Ireland to take ownership of her new pub, she leaves the baggage of her old life behind determined to become a new woman. Will she run screaming back to the US or will the locals welcome her with open arms, will it be more than she hoped for or worse than a nightmare at A Pub Across The Pond.
Get ready to kiss the Blarney Stone with this fun, quirky, entertaining Irish Adventure, full of spirit and energy. Mary Carter takes us across the pond to the most unremarkable yet quaint little village in the middle of nowhere Ireland and tells us a tale for and Celtic story lover. Her plot is an amazing mix of intrigue, romance, family drama and Irish hospitality. The narrative goes between the yank speak of Carlene and the Irish brogue of Declan and the rest of the locals, it will keep you in stitches and give you a rare authentic taste of real Ireland, it can get a bit raw but that’s what authentic is all about. Her characters all deserve Oscars for their performances as they are all amazingly believable and utterly charming. Her heroine Carlene is a wonderful portrait of a woman aspiring to be her best by reinventing herself. Her hero Ronan is an irresistible cad that woman can’t help fall in love with and men want for their best friend, he’s also a genuine caring person who just can’t seem to make the right choices.
It’s a romance, a drama, a contemporary piece of literature and it’s a whole lot of fun. So if you’re in the mood to take a closer walk with the wee folk, or to walk in the Steps of Brigid or Patrick pick up your own copy of this memorable novel.
Thank you Ms. Carter for my must read of October ( )
1 vote dhaupt | Oct 6, 2011 |
What caused me to choose to read this book was the promise of it not being the typical romance novel about love and longing in Ireland...big castle on the hill, etc. Thankfully, it held up beautifully to its promise. Finally, a story written about Irish people that touches something not just of their humor and magic (which this book does, as well), but of the depth of their hearts and loyalties as a community. This, not withstanding and aside from the novels written about the IRA, of course, which is another topic altogether. Mary Carter is a writer who is tested by her other works. She's not a novice author, so this helps smooth the way for such a comprehensive story which, I think, has many biographical references, drawn from her uncle. The story is quite magical in the telling not in a "hibbie, gibblie" way, but in its gifts from one character to another. Ms Carter has the ability of descriptive writing not only with respect to her characters, but with her poignant renderings of landscape and lodgings. However, often our strongest gifts can also be our weaknesses. What I found difficult in reading the book is that it was, as my high school English teachers and college professors would say, "wordy." It was just too packed with long paragraphs of descriptions and background information that got somewhat boggy. Not that this caused me to put the book down, mind you! But, if I were an editor, I would have culled it down a bit for an easier and better flow. Carlene Rivers is a likable heroine. She embodies pretty much all women who need a different venue when love and life give them a swift kick. Her willingness to yield and understand the people of Balleybeog accounts for much of her success in becoming one of them, and it was something that made the story strong. I loved the sisters of Ronan McBride and wished I could have every one of them as friends! Such engaging characters! This alone would make me recommend the book to you. Sigh...Ronan...now that's the story that needed telling about a Irishman who was the only son of that gaggle of sisters! LOL Poor guy, and poor women who sought him out for attention or love! This novel doesn't sugar-coat the gorgeous Irishman, however, making it all the more a good read for me. And, who could read this book without carrying away a certain love for Declan who said, "You can only fill a pot of gold with one coin at a time." He's my hero of the novel. You'll love him. I recommend this book, but with the reservation about it being too wordy at times. Books that focus more on characterization and conversation are best reads, for the most part. In this novel, however, many will love the descriptions...so it's difficult to say... 3 1/2 stars ( )
  BookishDame | Oct 6, 2011 |

Carlene Rivers is many things. Dutiful, reliable, kind. Lucky? Not so much. At thirty, she's living a stifling existence in Cleveland, Ohio. Then one day, Carlene buys a raffle ticket. The prize: a pub on the west coast of Ireland. Carlene is stunned when she wins. Everyone else is stunned when she actually goes. As soon as she arrives in Ballybeog, Carlene is smitten not just by the town's beguiling mix of ancient and modern, but by the welcome she receives. In this small town near Galway Bay, strife is no stranger, strangers are family, and no one is ever too busy for a cup of tea or a pint. And though her new job presents challenges - from a meddling neighbour to the pub's colourful regulars - there are compensations galore. Like the freedom to sing, joke, and tell stories, and in doing so, find her own voice. And in her flirtation with Ronan McBride, the pub's charming, reckless former owner, she just may find the freedom to follow where impulse leads and trust her heart - and her luck - for the very first time...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:16 -0400)

Thirty-year-old Carlene Rivers has grown tired of her mundane life in Cleveland, Ohio. Miraculously, her life is forever changed when she wins the deed to a pub in Ireland. To the surprise of her friends and family, Carlene actually flies out to Ballybeog, where she quickly falls in love with the quaint town and becomes smitten with the pub's handsome owner, Ronan McBride.… (more)

7 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,781,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible