Flashes of Illumination by Nancy Jane Moore

Flashes of Illumination (2011)

by Nancy Jane Moore

Info:
Collections:Ebooks
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ebook

Flashes of Illumination by Nancy Jane Moore (2011)

English (19)  Dutch (1)  All languages (20)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book would appeal to those readers who like Twilight Zone, and stories about extra-terrestrials and time travel. Since this is not mu usual genre, I found this book mildly interesting, but not my "cup of tea'." ( )
  TizzzieLish | Mar 5, 2013 |
I am a fan of flash fiction, having several anthologies in my collection. I found this up to par with those.
The collection is divided into various sections with a little something for everyone. There is some time travel, some apocalypse/dystopia flavor, and some general. I enjoyed the way that some of the stories started seemingly as fun toss-offs but revealed meaning in the last line or two.

My favorite came at the end with Memoirs. I've found as I age that although I still enjoy fun and action in stories and movies, I appreciate more insights into the simplicity and complexity of peoples lives. I saw that in the stories in this section.
If you like short/shorts or just short stories I can recommmend [Flashes of Illumination]. ( )
  jldarden | Jan 24, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The stories I've read so far are well-enough written, but the collection as a whole is not holding my attention well. It's too easy to put it down and pick up something else after reading a few of them. I'll probably finish it eventually, and a hardcopy would likely make great bathroom reading, though. ( )
  nolly | Nov 10, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great collection of Flash fiction, very intriguing and lots of material with depth. Great read. ( )
  ashschreck | Oct 28, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A great collection of short stories, many of which feature a strong female protagonists. Not a light-hearted anthology, most stories are serious and the entire book is divided into categories according to when the author penned them or a particular theme (like Aliens, Vampires and Superheroes). My favorite story, Passing, reminds me of Ray Bradbury's All Summer in a Day in that it's heartbreaking in the same way. The story is categorized as one of The Longer Stories, in comparison to some stories which are merely a page long ("flashes").

Great travel reading, but note that some stories might make you sad. ( )
  pfont | Oct 15, 2011 |
George slumped over his third cup of coffee.

Nancy Jane Moore wrote her first flash fiction many years ago when everyone in her writing group decided to enter a contest for one-page stories. None of them won, but she got hooked and has been writing short-shorts ever since. Her first project for Book View Cafe was posting a free flash fiction every week for a year.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Nancy Jane Moore's book Flashes of Illumination was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,998,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible