First Marathons by Gail Kislevitz

First Marathons

by Gail Kislevitz

2009 (2) aic (1) amazon (1) Box 5 (1) correr (1) David's work (1) deporte (1) essays (2) Home Library 1-1 (1) ILL (1) imported (1) inspirational (1) leisure (1) marathon (3) marathons (1) non-fiction (8) own (1) read (1) runner (1) running (15) sports (3) to-read (1) training (1) unowned (1) Wayne (1) wishlist (1)

I enjoyed reading these first-time experiences! I liked the variation between novice and elite runners. There were some common threads, but other things were different about the experiences. Sometimes the writing (or editing?) seemed a little choppy, but it didn't distract me too much, since it's a subject of high interest to me. I signed up for my first marathon this week, and eventhough it isn't until November, this book was a good reminder that it's not too early to start getting ready for it! ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
I enjoyed reading the different points of view about first marathon experiences. I liked the variation between novice and elite runners. There were some common threads, but other things were different about the experiences. Sometimes the writing (or editing?) seemed a little choppy, but it didn't distract me too much, since it's a subject of high interest to me. I'm thinking about rereading it, now that I've actually signed up for a marathon. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Like most of the reviewers here, my main complaint is the writing. It seems like there was a really crappy editor who went over everyone's submissions and make them awful. Because otherwise, don't you think ONE of these people would have written well? Ugh. One of the things that sticks with me from several stories ago is the sentence "Not everybody can do this - I feel pretty amazing for having accomplished it" or some such and then a paragraph later: "I would encourage anyone thinking of marathon to do it! Everyone is capable of one!" ... Did you reread your entry at ALL!?

Apart from the writing (which is really hard to go APART from, being a former English teacher and avid reader of WELL WRITTEN books), the stories are fun, sad, funny, interesting, varied, and inspiring.

This book deserves two ratings - one for concept and one for writing. They would even out to a 2.5. :) ( )
  amaraduende | Mar 30, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,439,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible