Journey of the Universe by Brian Thomas…

Journey of the Universe

by Brian Thomas Swimme

I quite enjoyed the description of the forming of the universe and the creation of the earth and life on earth. The way Swimme and Tucker used the word 'creativity' raised a certain number of questions which they didn't even attempt to answer. Creativity seems to imply a certain amount of intent. Intent implies consciousness. Are they implying there is a consciousness behind the universe? I did like the way the showed how we are all connected to the 'big bang' and to everything other thing, living and non-living in the universe and beyond. I was less than enthralled by the way they wrote about humans. ( )
  eapalmer | Dec 14, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0300171900, Hardcover)

Journey of the Universe transforms how we understand our origins and envision our future. Though a little book, it tells a big story—one that inspires hope for a way in which Earth and its human civilizations could flourish together.

This book is part of a larger project that includes a documentary film, an educational DVD series, and a website. The film and the DVD series will be released in 2011. For more information, please consult the website, journeyoftheuniverse.org.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:26 -0400)

"Today we know what no previous generation knew: the history of the universe and of the unfolding of life on Earth. Through the astonishing combined achievements of natural scientists worldwide, we now have a detailed account of how galaxies and stars, planets and living organisms, human beings and human consciousness came to be. And yet . . . we thirst for answers to questions that have haunted humanity from the very beginning. What is our place in the 14-billion-year history of the universe? What roles do we play in Earth's history? How do we connect with the intricate web of life on Earth? In Journey of the Universe Brian Thomas Swimme and Mary Evelyn Tucker tell the epic story of the universe from an inspired new perspective, weaving the findings of modern science together with enduring wisdom found in the humanistic traditions of the West, China, India, and indigenous peoples. The authors explore cosmic evolution as a profoundly wondrous process based on creativity, connection, and interdependence, and they envision an unprecedented opportunity for the world's people to address the daunting ecological and social challenges of our times. Journey of the Universe transforms how we understand our origins and envision our future. Though a little book, it tells a big story one that inspires hope for a way in which Earth and its human civilizations could flourish together. This book is part of a larger project that includes a documentary film, an educational DVD series, and a website. The film and the DVD series will be released in 2011. For more information, please consult the website, journeyoftheuniverse.org"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible