Sweet Judy Blue Eyes: My Life in Music by…

Sweet Judy Blue Eyes: My Life in Music

by Judy Collins

Narrated by the author, this autobiography is absolutely marvelous. Collins' prose and voice are lyrical. She is a musical icon and her stories, lovers, and friendhips are as well. Immerse yourself in the sixties, the folk music, and let the story wash over you as the best music always does. I had trouble taking breaks from this one. ( )
  hemlokgang | Oct 24, 2013 |
I've been a fan of Judy Collins' music for over thirty years, and this is the second of her three autobiographies/memoirs I've read. (The first was 2007's SINGING LESSONS: A MEMOIR OF LOVE, LOSS, HOPE, AND HEALING; I haven't yet tackled 2003's SANITY AND GRACE: A JOURNAL OF SUICIDE, SURVIVAL, AND STRENGTH,) This one goes into detail about her early career, when she vied with Joan Baez for the title of queen of the folk music world. But the new book goes into far more detail about her struggles with alcoholism than the 2007 one did. She also presents a more detailed portrait of the life and death of her only child, Clark.
My only complaint is that, while the alcoholism is presented vividly, the recovery from the disease is treated kind of superficially. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Jun 4, 2012 |
If you like Judy Collins, you'll find her honest about her life, foibles and all. ( )
  bogopea | Apr 9, 2012 |
To be honest, I didn't like this book at all
If it wasn't from the library, from a very tall building it would fall

Ah, "sweet" Judy a child of the 60's
relished a life of a funny loving hippy

She appeared to abandon her son while she was out sleeping and drinking
A gross lack of responsibility -- oh my, what was she thinking?

Her eyes may be blue, but her spirit is brown
from a life filled with excess that came tumbling down

The names that are dropped like many hairs from a hat
Are merely those she used and swept under a mat

And clearly how can she be to blame
Afterall, she inherited the gene from her father that came with his name.

If you think I'm throwing stones without just cause,
then skip this review and join her in a self appointed round of applause.
------------------------------

I recommend skipping this one!
18 vote Whisper1 | Mar 12, 2012 |
With its many musical and musician references, reading Sweet Judy Blue Eyes was like déjà vu all over again. Some of what was included in the book, I knew; some, I knew once but now remember. Joy, sadness, success, failure--all covered openly and honestly in this book by the lady whose voice one friend described thusly: "If amethysts could sing...." ( )
  owlsfeathers | Nov 19, 2011 |

A folk music icon discusses the height of her career in the 1960s, her alcoholism, her love affair with Stephen Stills, and her friendships with Joan Baez, David Crosby, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, and others.

28 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,510,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible