The One You Love by Paul Pilkington

The One You Love (original 2004; edition 2012)

by Paul Pilkington

Member:Kathy89
Title:The One You Love
Authors:Paul Pilkington
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 298 pages
Rating:***
Tags:(fiction) mystery, Kindle book

The One You Love by Paul Pilkington (Author) (2004)

This was a free book, I think via Bookbub or Freebooksy.

I read 27% of the book before I tossed this in the DNF pile. It was like reading a young teen's first journey into writing a story. That is fine, for an English teacher or another teen to read, but when it is published as a book, when it is put out as part of a series that I am supposed to read and then purchase other parts of... no. No thank you.

Plot is all over the place with too many sub-plots that link to the main plot, somehow... I didn't feel like wading through the poorly written dialog and poor characterizations of the protagonist and secondary characters to figure it all out. Not to mention the tangents this author takes you on before you realize that the particular chapter you are reading took place in the past.

No thanks. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |
Great suspense thriller kept me guessing right up until the end. ( )
  winecat | Mar 7, 2014 |
The action started from the very beginning with Emma's fiancé, Dan's disappearance: and the near death of Dan's brother, Richard. Every time I thought I knew who dunnit, the author threw in a twist to make me believe it was someone else. As other reviews have stated, character development was slow or non existent.
It was not well written. Dialog was boring and slow. The grammar was horrific, for example: Will was sat on the apartment steps, or Emma was stood at the window. These are just a couple of numerous past tense in place of present tense errors.
Overall I did enjoy reading the book. The story line was a good concept. And any suspense that I have to wait for the final pages before I'm sure who the culprit is, is a winner to me. ( )
  pamkaye | Dec 26, 2013 |
I quite enjoyed this: it starts well, with a realistic yet intriguing situation, attractive characters and cliffhanger chapter endings ...

But then one finds oneself being played with on practically every page. Nameless characters are introduced, broad hints are dropped that characters are lying, or are keeping secrets, or have something they are desperate to hide, or aren't who they say they are, or have dubious motives of one sort or another for various mysterious reasons. I mean, it just begins to get a bit silly.

The characters are likable, though flimsy, and sometimes treated too casually by the author; however, I did want to know the answers. Before long, though, things became simply unbelievable, mainly in the service of all the thrilling twists and turns.

Tiresome, too, is the characters' tendency never merely to say anything: they assert, affirm, confirm, deny, comfort, bawl, chide, growl, rasp, etc. (actually I did make a couple of those up - but maybe not the ones you think).

A flawed attempt, but a page-turner that might distract you on a plane or train journey. ( )
  jtck121166 | Jul 13, 2013 |
I love mysteries and thrillers but I couldn't finish this one. The dialogue was so stilted and it sounded like an assignment for high school creative writing class. I definitely won't be reading anything more from this series. ( )
  Mrsbaty | Apr 17, 2013 |

Emma Holden's nightmare has just begun. Her fiancé vanishes, leaving the battered and bloodied body of his brother in their London apartment. Someone is stalking her, watching her every move. And her family are hiding a horrifying secret; a secret that threatens all those she loves. In a desperate race against time, Emma must uncover the truth if she ever wants to see her fiancé alive again.

The One You Love is a fast-paced suspense mystery, full of twists, turns and cliff-hangers that make it a hard to put down page-turner.

Days before their wedding, during their last separate nights of hard-partying singledom, Emma Holden's fiance has gone missing. Not only has Dan disappeared without a trace, his brother is found beaten and left for dead, and may not wake up from a coma. Without any evidence, suspicion for the attempted murder falls on Dan - but Emma refuses to believe his guilt. When crime scene photos get splashed across the pages of London tabloids, Emma knows that someone is following her. Watching her. It is an old, familiar feeling, though no less terrifying. A long-hidden family secret seems to unite Emma's troubled past with her dangerous present. As time runs out her trust in her family, her friends -- and Dan -- faces an ultimate test.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,492,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible