Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless…

Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Katie J. Davis, Beth Clark (Contributor)

Member:Maggie21
Title:Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption
Authors:Katie J. Davis
Other authors:Beth Clark (Contributor)
Info:Howard Books (2011), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Memoir

Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption by Katie J. Davis (2011)

I originally gave the audio of this book 1 star= I didn't like it. I found that difficult to do due to really wanting to like the book and due to the similarities between Katie's work in Uganda and my own work with street children in the Philippines. I found so much of Katie's story mirrored my own experiences. The desperate poverty and wanting to take every person in to your home....

I have now read the book and found it better than the audio. The lady audio narrator tells the story in such a sickly sweet and overly emotional manner that I found myself cringing all the way through and skipping over the last third of the book, which actually turned out to be the best part of it.

The good: Katie is obviously sincere in her desire to share the Gospel and to help people. She makes huge personal sacrifices, effectively giving up her life in the USA, her education and her relationship with her boyfriend in order to go to the mission field. She perseveres and is still working there. She set up an organisation which carries on a wide range of work including livelihood, education and Gospel work. There are testimonies on her website of some whose lives have been changed.

She finds herself in seemingly impossible situations that make her heart ache. She never refuses to help and always finds practical solutions. The people know that they can turn to her. I don't know how someone of her age and life experience managed to endure all of the suffering that she describes and am sure she would have been overwhelmed but for her trust in God. There are some incredible stories of people being nursed back to health from death's door.

The question marks: Katie set about fostering/adopting numerous children as a single within a year of being in Uganda without really knowing the people or the culture and with an outstanding promise to her parents to return to the USA and complete her studies. Throughout the book she speaks about God leading her to do these things as if her refusal would be disobedience. She doesn't refer to taking counsel or advice from anyone else. She doesn't appear to be accountable to anyone or to a local church. This leaves a lot of room for subjective decision making and error. We all need accountability and we can all mistake the will of God at times. The fact that God appears to have been gracious to her does not mean that this is a good example for others heading to the field. The end doesn't justify the means. We need to make wise decisions and take counsel.

I felt also that the focus was too much on help/education and not enough on the transforming power of the Gospel. Katie said this

Obviously, the key to eternal life is Jesus, but the key to a better life here is education.

I disagree with this statement. The key to both our lives on earth and in heaven is Jesus. We can raise the living standards of a community through education but the Gospel still needs to be the focal point of the entire operation--help without hope is the ultimate tragedy.

I guess my main problem with the story isn't so much what is said but the style of writing. I found her account full of emotionalism and her personal spiritual experiences and what she is learning from God. When someone says repeatedly that they will die if something or other happens or doesn't happen, it loses its effect and sounds fake. I believe that Katie probably did feel strong emotions and she writes part of the book like a journal so it is her thoughts and feelings. However, I would have preferred to have learned more about the actual things she was doing on a day to day basis and the lives of the children and the ministry rather than so much about her emotions.

I didn't think it was a good decision for Katie to go to court to try and keep one of the children she had fostered when the biological mother claimed her. Katie had only had the girl for two years and already had thirteen children. Her goal should always have been to try and re-unite the children with their biological families where-ever possible. She describes the court's decision over this issue as unjust and unfair although she accepts it in the end as being part of a fallen world....but what about the best outcome for the child, we know nothing about the birth mother.

I am pleased that I re-read this and am able to rate it slightly more highly as it seems a shame to give a fellow missionary a low rating. I hope Katie continues her work for God in Uganda, I see that she is now married which is great news both for Katie and for the continuation of her ministry.

I recommend this book for those who need to be reminded that God can do the impossible if we are willing. There is no bad language, sexual content or violence. ( )
  sparkleandchico | Jun 2, 2017 |
WOW! This book has rocked my comfortable Christian world. Katie Davis felt called by God to go to Africa by the time she was 16. By winter break of her senior year she and her mother went to Uganda to spend three weeks volunteering in an orphanage. After high school she returned to Uganda as a kindergarten teacher for what she promised her parents would be one year before she would return and go to college. That year changed Katie's life. She knew God called her simply to love others, especially the children, most of whom lived in poverty and far too many of whom were being raised by elderly or infirm relatives, or were trying to raise themselves. And love them she does. She believes God's promises in a living, daily, minute-by-minute way. She believes that the only way to explain to the unloved the love of God is to first model that love for them. She believes if God calls her to do something, He will provide the means. And he does, time and time again. She believes God does give people more than they can bear, because in that way we learn to rely on Him to carry us through. She learns lessons from everything that happens and relies on her Lord completely. As a result of her love for God, this one woman is changing the world around her. Children are going to school, eating better, having some of their medical needs met, women are learning skills to support their families. All because one young, untrained woman is blessed to be called by God to serve his kingdom.

When I began this book even I wasn't sure I'd finish it because of its oozing Christianity; I, a Christian, doubted anyone could love God this much. But I was won over by how genuine and modest she is. She wrote the book to get out the message that children are starving and dying and that so many could be saved by what an average American regularly spends on entertainment. By the time I'd finished this book (in one sitting) I didn't just feel I'd read an inspiring story, I felt challenged to examine my life. In that she was successful. ( )
  LeslieHurd | Jan 11, 2017 |
This is a great book the tells the story of Katie Davis as she is a missionary in Uganda. ( )
  MariannaGlaze | Apr 1, 2016 |
This was a bit too religious for my taste but I do admire the author. I envy people who have so much faith . Having recently suffered a tragic loss, I am not as generous in my beliefs. I wish I was as passionate as the author . ( )
  becka11y2 | Jan 19, 2016 |
What would cause an eighteen-year-old old senior class president and homecoming queen from Nashville, Tennessee, to disobey and disappoint her parents by forgoing college, break her little brother’s heart, lose all but a handful of her friends (because the rest of them think she has gone off the deep end), and break up with the love of her life, all so she could move to Uganda, where she knew only one person but didn’t know any of the language? A passion to make a difference. Katie Davis left over Christmas break her senior year for a short mission trip to Uganda and her life was turned completely inside out. She found herself so moved, so broken by the people and the children of Uganda that she knew her calling was to return and care for them. Her story is like Mother Teresa’s in that she has given up everything—at such a young age—to care for the less fortunate of this world. Katie, a charismatic and articulate young woman, has gone on to adopt 14 children during her time in Uganda, and she completely trusts God for daily provision for her and her family, which includes children with special needs. (compliments of Goodreads.com)
  sjac | Sep 3, 2014 |

Katie J. Davisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clark, Bethsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Jesus. Every word, every breath is for you.

And for my girls, Prossy, Margaret, Agnes, Zuula, Mary, Hellen, Tibita, Sarah, Scovia, Joyce, Sumini, Jane, Grace, and Patricia, for teaching me more about His unfailing love each and every day.
Sometimes it hits me like a brick to the head: My life is kind of insane.

Katie Davis traveled to Uganda for a short mission trip over the Christmas break of her senior year in high school. She found herself so moved by the Ugandan people and their needs that she knew it was her calling to return to care for them. She is now in the process of adopting thirteen children there, and has established the ministry, Amazima, that cares for hundreds more. Here, she shares her story.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,085,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible