Mile 81: Includes bonus story 'The…

Mile 81: Includes bonus story 'The Dune' (edition 2012)

by Stephen King, Thomas Sadoski (Reader), Edward Herrmann (Reader)

345None31,668 (3.39)17
Member:wtoomey
Title:Mile 81: Includes bonus story 'The Dune'
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Thomas Sadoski (Reader), Edward Herrmann (Reader)
Info:Simon & Schuster Audio (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:*****
Tags:own, ebook, horror, coming of age, Main, thriller

Mile 81 by Stephen King

I don't know exactly what King was going for here. At the end, he throws out a dedication to a few people who supported his earlier work, so I'm guessing he was going on nostalgia?

This thing reads like a really bad B-movie. Not in a good way. I could've done without the blatant and unnecessary plug for AT&T wireless internet. Also, all the mentioning of an ongoing series that he's working on (American Vampire) and a film adaptation from his previous work (Christine) was kind of distracting and pulled me out of the story.

I don't know what I expected. I loved Blockade Billy (his short story I read last summer).. but this just bothered me way too much.

Gah. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Fun. Best 'haunted car' story since 'Christine'. Ending left me feeling unfulfilled. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
I've not read any Stephen King in ages. I can take horror in occasional doses, so getting my hands on a short story (an audiobook, no less) by King was somewhat appealing. Mile 81 was an enjoyable enough read -- not incredibly scary, but just creepy enough to make the reader somewhat uncomfortable. I think this is one that you could read without getting nightmares.

The second, even shorter short story (The Dune) didn't read like horror at all, but it did pack a punch at the end, and that made it worth the read. ( )
  indygo88 | Oct 16, 2013 |
listened to it. hard to follow ( )
  mahallett | Jul 30, 2013 |
Mile 81 is a boarded up rest stop on Maine Highway. Pete Simmons lives in near it and he decides to go there when he has nothing better to do. He was not allowed to go hang out with his older brothers and his friends. So Pete decides to go to Mile 81 because that is what the big kids do. At the rest stop Pete finds a discarded bottle of vodka and after drinking it he falls asleep. Then a mud splattered station wagon shows up and wreaks havoc.

Mile 81 is part coming of age and part horror story. It reminds me of Christine and Stand By Me. I thought that Mile 81 was a bit lengthy and dragged in parts. When car after car came to the rest stop it got really boring for me. It was just an OK read for me. ( )
  pixiedark | Jul 23, 2013 |
For Nye Willden and Doug Allen, who bought my first stories.
"You can't come," his older brother said.
...when Pete thought of this, his heart filled with envy and jealousy - a vile brew, but strangely tasty.
Nothing is as piercing as a child's scream; it's one of nature's more efficient survival mechanisms.

At Mile 81 on the Maine Turnpike is a boarded up rest stop, a place where high school kids drink and get into the kind of trouble high school kids have always gotten into. It’s the place where Pete Simmons goes when his older brother, who’s supposed to be looking out for him, heads off to the gravel pit to play “paratroopers over the side.”

Pete, armed only with the magnifying glass he got for his tenth birthday, finds a discarded bottle of vodka in the boarded up burger shack and drinks enough to pass out.

Not much later, a mud-covered station wagon (which is strange because there hadn’t been any rain in New England for over a week) veers into the Mile 81 rest area, ignoring the sign that says “closed, no services.” The driver’s door opens but nobody gets out.

Doug Clayton, an insurance man from Bangor, is driving his Prius to a conference in Portland. On the backseat are his briefcase and suitcase and in the passenger bucket is a King James Bible, what Doug calls “the ultimate insurance manual,” but it isn’t going to save Doug when he decides to be the Good Samaritan and help the guy in the broken down wagon. He pulls up behind it, puts on his four-ways, and then notices that the wagon has no plates.

Ten minutes later, Julianne Vernon, pulling a horse trailer, spots the Prius and the wagon, and pulls over. Julianne finds Doug Clayton’s cracked cell phone near the wagon door – and gets too close herself. By the time Pete Simmons wakes up from his vodka nap, there are a half a dozen cars at the Mile 81 rest stop. Two kids – Rachel and Blake Lussier –and one horse named Deedee are the only living left. Unless you maybe count the wagon.

With the heart of Stand By Me and the genius horror of Christine, Mile 81 is Stephen unleashing his imagination as he drives past one of those road signs...

Young Pete Simmons just wanted to have some fun and explore when he stumbled onto the old abandoned rest stop at Mile 81 on the Maine turnpike. Instead, he discovers a scene of bloodshed and carnage. A car has pulled into the boarded-up service station, a run-down, muddy station wagon without any plates; and without a driver. As the car claims the lives of one would-be good Samaritan after another, Pete decides that it's up to him to stop the evil car before he becomes its next victim.… (more)

21 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible