Mile 81: Includes bonus story 'The…

Mile 81: Includes bonus story 'The Dune' (edition 2012)

by Stephen King, Thomas Sadoski (Reader), Edward Herrmann (Reader)

Member:wtoomey
Title:Mile 81: Includes bonus story 'The Dune'
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Thomas Sadoski (Reader), Edward Herrmann (Reader)
Info:Simon & Schuster Audio (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:*****
Tags:own, ebook, horror, coming of age, Main, thriller

Mile 81 by Stephen King

This was crap. Seriously. Crap. It was actually embarrassing to read. I've read a long, long list of SK books, and found something good in all of them. This had me wishing he had actually retired. Let's start with the names. Every character had a made-up sounding name. Or at least one that didn't make sense for the story being set in the present day. I mean seriously, it's 2011 and the kids are Pete and George? Then there's the cringe-worthy self-referencing. Pete has American Vampire in his bag? Characters are thinking about Christine? Please, stop! There's weird child-adult thing, too. What 6 year old thinks "you asshole" when talking to someone? And Pete- I just kept thinking to myself "adult writing as a child...poorly." It was distractingly bad. Then the monster....I laughed! Laughed! And lastly, the ending. It's like he got called for dinner and had to just stop writing. Where did it come from? Who were these people? Why is it funny? What the hell happened? I left with questions, mostly about Mr. King's mental state. ( )
  emking85 | Nov 7, 2014 |
Interesting short story by Stephen King. This is a very short read in under an hours but worth the little it cost. This is only in ebook format. But it is Stephen King. Yes, it is weird. But it is Stephen King what more can I say? This ebook has a teaser of the new novel 11/23/69 that is coming out soon. ( )
  kybunnies | Oct 19, 2014 |
10-year old Pete breaks away from his older brother, George, when George ditches him for his own friends. Pete goes down to the deserted roadside turnout, Mile 81, to snoop around the deserted area. While there, he falls asleep. Outside, an old muddy station wagon pulls up and the door opens... Others pull up to see if there's someone who needs help, but this turns out to be at their own peril.

This was really good. It's a short story, so it goes quickly and ends just as fast. I would have liked to know more at the end – what happens to the characters next? Other than that, though, I quite enjoyed it. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 5, 2014 |
A fast little story that is like a quick mind break -- quick to read, fun while you read it, but not too deep. I'm kind of liking these shorts on the Kindle. ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
I don't know exactly what King was going for here. At the end, he throws out a dedication to a few people who supported his earlier work, so I'm guessing he was going on nostalgia?

This thing reads like a really bad B-movie. Not in a good way. I could've done without the blatant and unnecessary plug for AT&T wireless internet. Also, all the mentioning of an ongoing series that he's working on (American Vampire) and a film adaptation from his previous work (Christine) was kind of distracting and pulled me out of the story.

I don't know what I expected. I loved Blockade Billy (his short story I read last summer).. but this just bothered me way too much.

Gah. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
For Nye Willden and Doug Allen, who bought my first stories.
"You can't come," his older brother said.
...when Pete thought of this, his heart filled with envy and jealousy - a vile brew, but strangely tasty.
Nothing is as piercing as a child's scream; it's one of nature's more efficient survival mechanisms.

At Mile 81 on the Maine Turnpike is a boarded up rest stop, a place where high school kids drink and get into the kind of trouble high school kids have always gotten into. It’s the place where Pete Simmons goes when his older brother, who’s supposed to be looking out for him, heads off to the gravel pit to play “paratroopers over the side.”

Pete, armed only with the magnifying glass he got for his tenth birthday, finds a discarded bottle of vodka in the boarded up burger shack and drinks enough to pass out.

Not much later, a mud-covered station wagon (which is strange because there hadn’t been any rain in New England for over a week) veers into the Mile 81 rest area, ignoring the sign that says “closed, no services.” The driver’s door opens but nobody gets out.

Doug Clayton, an insurance man from Bangor, is driving his Prius to a conference in Portland. On the backseat are his briefcase and suitcase and in the passenger bucket is a King James Bible, what Doug calls “the ultimate insurance manual,” but it isn’t going to save Doug when he decides to be the Good Samaritan and help the guy in the broken down wagon. He pulls up behind it, puts on his four-ways, and then notices that the wagon has no plates.

Ten minutes later, Julianne Vernon, pulling a horse trailer, spots the Prius and the wagon, and pulls over. Julianne finds Doug Clayton’s cracked cell phone near the wagon door – and gets too close herself. By the time Pete Simmons wakes up from his vodka nap, there are a half a dozen cars at the Mile 81 rest stop. Two kids – Rachel and Blake Lussier –and one horse named Deedee are the only living left. Unless you maybe count the wagon.

With the heart of Stand By Me and the genius horror of Christine, Mile 81 is Stephen unleashing his imagination as he drives past one of those road signs...

Young Pete Simmons just wanted to have some fun and explore when he stumbled onto the old abandoned rest stop at Mile 81 on the Maine turnpike. Instead, he discovers a scene of bloodshed and carnage. A car has pulled into the boarded-up service station, a run-down, muddy station wagon without any plates; and without a driver. As the car claims the lives of one would-be good Samaritan after another, Pete decides that it's up to him to stop the evil car before he becomes its next victim.… (more)

21 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible