Mile 81: Includes bonus story 'The…

Mile 81: Includes bonus story 'The Dune' (edition 2012)

by Stephen King, Thomas Sadoski (Reader), Edward Herrmann (Reader)

Member:wtoomey
Title:Mile 81: Includes bonus story 'The Dune'
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Thomas Sadoski (Reader), Edward Herrmann (Reader)
Info:Simon & Schuster Audio (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:*****
Tags:own, ebook, horror, coming of age, Main, thriller

Mile 81 by Stephen King

This was a typical creepy Stephen King book. It's a short story about a car that sucks people in and eats them. I "read" the audio book because the library didn't have any hard copies. This was enjoyable to listen to. I found myself saying "don't touch the car!" as I was listening. The book is about a strange station wagon that shows up at a closed rest stop. People think someone is in trouble so they approach the car to help and that is their biggest mistake. Having this short taste of Mr. King reminds me of how much I enjoy his writing and that maybe I need to get back to reading his stories. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 12, 2016 |
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
The good folks in Maine are once again under attack. The alien car must be the little brother of Buick 8 and gas guzzler does not apply here.

A very quick and enjoyable read which once again has you warning the protagonists not to approach the entity at hand, but alas, to no avail. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I liked it! It's Stephen through and through. Yes, I am a constant reader. I always enjoy his regionality (is that a word) and stories about kids. He has an uncanny knack of seeing everything through a kid's eyes. I love this about his stories. This would have been a great Twilight Zone episode. The best surprise was finding in it my Kindle, after forgetting that I downloaded it. How cool is that! ( )
  debbie-1955 | May 7, 2016 |
Jeffrey DeMunn
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
For Nye Willden and Doug Allen, who bought my first stories.
"You can't come," his older brother said.
...when Pete thought of this, his heart filled with envy and jealousy - a vile brew, but strangely tasty.
Nothing is as piercing as a child's scream; it's one of nature's more efficient survival mechanisms.

At Mile 81 on the Maine Turnpike is a boarded up rest stop, a place where high school kids drink and get into the kind of trouble high school kids have always gotten into. It’s the place where Pete Simmons goes when his older brother, who’s supposed to be looking out for him, heads off to the gravel pit to play “paratroopers over the side.”

Pete, armed only with the magnifying glass he got for his tenth birthday, finds a discarded bottle of vodka in the boarded up burger shack and drinks enough to pass out.

Not much later, a mud-covered station wagon (which is strange because there hadn’t been any rain in New England for over a week) veers into the Mile 81 rest area, ignoring the sign that says “closed, no services.” The driver’s door opens but nobody gets out.

Doug Clayton, an insurance man from Bangor, is driving his Prius to a conference in Portland. On the backseat are his briefcase and suitcase and in the passenger bucket is a King James Bible, what Doug calls “the ultimate insurance manual,” but it isn’t going to save Doug when he decides to be the Good Samaritan and help the guy in the broken down wagon. He pulls up behind it, puts on his four-ways, and then notices that the wagon has no plates.

Ten minutes later, Julianne Vernon, pulling a horse trailer, spots the Prius and the wagon, and pulls over. Julianne finds Doug Clayton’s cracked cell phone near the wagon door – and gets too close herself. By the time Pete Simmons wakes up from his vodka nap, there are a half a dozen cars at the Mile 81 rest stop. Two kids – Rachel and Blake Lussier –and one horse named Deedee are the only living left. Unless you maybe count the wagon.

With the heart of Stand By Me and the genius horror of Christine, Mile 81 is Stephen unleashing his imagination as he drives past one of those road signs...

Young Pete Simmons just wanted to have some fun and explore when he stumbled onto the old abandoned rest stop at Mile 81 on the Maine turnpike. Instead, he discovers a scene of bloodshed and carnage. A car has pulled into the boarded-up service station, a run-down, muddy station wagon without any plates; and without a driver. As the car claims the lives of one would-be good Samaritan after another, Pete decides that it's up to him to stop the evil car before he becomes its next victim.… (more)

2 wanted2 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,382,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible