Quite enough of Calvin Trillin : forty years…

Quite enough of Calvin Trillin : forty years of funny stuff [KOBO] (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Calvin Trillin

Member:c_why
Title:Quite enough of Calvin Trillin : forty years of funny stuff [KOBO]
Authors:Calvin Trillin
Info:New York : Random House, c2011.
Collections:Your library, E-Book
Rating:*****
Tags:humour

Quite Enough of Calvin Trillin: Forty Years of Funny Stuff by Calvin Trillin (2011)

The title is a misnomer, because I can never get enough of one of my favorite humorists. Since this covers 40 years of material, there are unavoidably repeats from other collections, but this has enough new pieces to be worthwhile -- and the old pieces are always good for another laugh too. ( )
  bostonian71 | Feb 15, 2013 |
I've been reading Calvin Trillin's funny books for a long time, and his ode to his wife Alice, About Alice, is one of the loveliest books about a marriage that you'll ever read. (Many people give this book as a bridal shower gift, and it's great idea.)

So I looked forward to a compilation of his New Yorker columns, his The Nation humorous political poetry and so much more into one book. Some of his best stuff is here, and I chuckled at such comments as:
"Math was my worst subject. I was never able to convince the mathematics teacher that many of my answers were meant ironically."

I always tell my sons to beware of people who scream the loudest about other's moral weaknesses, that they have something to hide, and a Trillin political poem from 2007 speaks to that reads:
"Once more, for right-wing folks it really rankles
To see who's caught with pants around his ankles.
Who's next? Who knows?
But some would take the view
That sanctimony is often quite a clue."

Trillin, who grew up in the midwest and still has that sensibility, now lives in New York City, and his comic observations about city life are dead on, including this one:
"I live in Greenwich Village, where people from the suburbs come on weekends to test their car alarms."

His funniest stuff includes his attempts to reason logically with his young daughters and his ongoing arguments with a magazine publisher whom Trillin feels doesn't pay him enough for his work. Alice is here as well, and her presence is definitely a welcome addition.

This is a book best read in short chunks, and I read it daily while on the treadmill, which was perfect. Some of the earlier political stuff may feel a bit stale, and younger people may not have a clue as to who some of these people are, but they will know George W. Bush, a frequent comic target for Trillin.

Calvin Trillin is one of smartest, funniest writers around, and this is a terrific compilation for his many, many fans. ( )
  bookchickdi | Mar 5, 2012 |
So far, so good. He reminds of my father. Back when Jim was a liberal. ( )
  madamepince | Oct 29, 2011 |
My wife, Alice, aooears as a character in many of these pieces.  Before her death, in 2001, even the pieces that didn't mention her were written in the hope of making her giggle.  This book is dedicated to her memory.

For at least 40 years, Calvin Trillin has committed blatant acts of funniness all over the place -- in The New Yorker, in one-man off-Broadway shows, in his "deadline poetry" for The Nation, in comic novels like Tepper Isn't Going Out, in books chronicling his adventures as a happy eater, and in what USA Today called "simply the funniest regular column in journalism."  Now Trillin selects the best of his funny stuff and organizes it into topics like high finance ("my long-term investment strategy has been criticized as being entirely too dependent on Publishers Clearinghouse sweepstakes") and the literary life ("The average shelf life of a book is somewhere between milk and yogurt.").  In this, the definitive collection of his humor, Calvin Trillin is prescient, insightful, and invariably hilarious.

"For at least forty years, Calvin Trillin has commiteed blatant acts of funniness all over the place"--Jacket flap. A collection of Trillin's writings, arranged roughly by category.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,692,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible