Eilandgasten by Vonne van der Meer

Eilandgasten (1999)

by Vonne van der Meer

Dutch (3)  French (1)  English (1)  All (5)
On the one hand I liked the way this book was built. The cleaning lady who begins and ands the book with her thoughts and ideas and pops in every now and then in between guests, mixed with the stories of the people who rent the cottage for various periods of time to spend the holiday on an island near the sea.

On the other hand I disliked the stories. First they were too sombre for my current state of mind. (Not the book's fault!). And second I disliked the open endings. Short stories are not my favorite genre when it comes to reading, but when the story has a clear start and ending, that makes a huges difference. In these stories you read the 'whole' history of the tennant, or the plans that were made before renting it, and when the rental period ends, the story ends, even when the issue at hand is not solved. And I absolutely dislike that. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jun 14, 2015 |
Höchste Zeit, dass ich fertig werde.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,133,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible