Too Wicked to Wed (Lords of Midnight, Book…

Too Wicked to Wed (Lords of Midnight, Book 1)

by Cara Elliott

519229,653 (3.86)None
Member:Dotland101
Title:Too Wicked to Wed (Lords of Midnight, Book 1)
Authors:Cara Elliott
Info:Forever (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:1/3, Have & Read

Too Wicked to Wed by Cara Elliott

This was a good historical romance with one annoying issue. I'm sucker for a good unusual heroine and the rake story and this one is no exception. I enjoyed both Connor and Alexa and liked watching their romance blossom. I loved Alexa and her struggle with trying to lead a more interesting life than was allowed to most ladies. In some ways she reminded me of Callie from [b:Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake|6584134|Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers #1)|Sarah MacLean|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1286649993s/6584134.jpg|6777627], which is a good thing in my book. Connor is pretty typical rake material but it doesn't take long to find his gooey center.

My issue was with the conceit of the "hellhounds" and the nicknames and allusions to it throughout. Connor is referred to as the "Irish Wolfhound" and that part makes a bit of sense as he is Irish and has silvery hair. But, he is sometimes referred to as a wolf or as a predator. I'm not sure if something got switched but a Wolfhound and a wolf are very different. I know that Wolfhounds used to be fearsome creatures but the current breed are docile, sweet tempered lugs. So that was a little hard to reconcile, knowing an Irish Wolfhound who's most fearsome quality is that he may lean on you until your fall over. And the dog allusions continue throughout the book, pups, curs, flanks, paws, it's all there. And it's a shame because I felt like it would take me out of the story and detracted from what was otherwise a nice romance. Still, when Connor and Alexa were interacting most of this fell away and I was definitely enjoying their story. And since I'm also a sucker for a series I'll check out the next one as well. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Quite some time ago I acquired this from the library, but at the time I hadn't time to read this, so when I saw it on the shelf once more I decided I needed to try it out, just to see if its as good as the reviews of this story I have read recently. This is the first time I have had a chance to read from this author, and I expected it to be a slow, hard to get into story....I do love it when I am proven wrong. From the first few pages, this story sinked its claws into me and wouldn't let go until the end.

We begin with Alexa stepping into a gaming hell trying to rescue her brother from his foolishness but comes across a dangerous man called the "Irish Wolfhound", who is the Earl of Killingsworth, has built up this business on his own but keeps it a secret from the Ton, since they would eat him alive if they ever found out. Alexa and Connor share a sensual embrace with plenty of steamy kisses and *sigh* makes me want to swoon kind of moment. Then we jump to four months later, we see Connor playing in a card game and trying to prove that a fellow man he is playing cards with is cheating, but in the end loses the game (which is practically unheard of for Connor). Then later that night he finds someone has broken in his safe and stolen all of his money, now he is in trouble. He suspects that something foul is going on, and needs to investigate it. Alexa is in need of something more out of her dull life in London, and seeks it in a gaming hell dressed as a man. Where she ends up winning half of the gaming hell in card game, and is forced to deal with Connor and the wicked delights his gaze promises. She ends up by his side in a whirl of danger and suspense and sensual passion. There is such a primal and intense connection between these two from the first, and I loved seeing these two almost battle it out, and in the end---was perfect, and totally satisfied me, and didn't leave me hanging or was too fast paced, I felt like it was wrapped up pretty nicely.

Connor is a very cynical man, dangerous at times, and hides who he truly is to everyone except for those closest to him. He is the type of hero who just want to melt at the sight of. The really sensual yet dangerous and exciting type, that gets the blood pumping. I felt energized when first seeing him on the pages. I couldn't help but just want to take him all in, he has the kind of personality that makes you want more of him. Now Alexa can be a endearing character for the most part. There wasn't any big issue I had with her as a character. I enjoyed seeing how see isn't afraid of Connor like most are. She is the fiery and passionate type of heroine, very independent and doesn't shy away from any danger. She can be bold at times, and I couldn't help but like that about her, even if at times a bit naive, but she was still a fun character that pushed Connor's buttons and I do love a heroine that brings the hero down a peg or two.

Overall I found Too Wicked To Wed a steamy and an exhilarating romance, full of danger and intrigue that is balanced out perfectly with the charming love story that is set out. I do love the suspense element that was put in the story, and only captivated this reader. With plenty of steamy scenes, stimulating characters, and a plot to arouse your senses. Loved this fun tale that made me ache for more from this author, and can't wait to read Gryff's story. ( )
  addictofromance | Jun 2, 2013 |
Many ladies dream of receiving their first kiss – stolen in a moonlit garden, seduced during a waltz, somewhere definitely romantic. The least romantic would be inside a notorious brothel, yet that is exactly where Lady Alexa gives up her first kiss to the Wolfhound in exchange for the whereabouts of her brother. A harmless bargain really that should not have mattered one bit to the Wolfhound, but little did Connor Linsley know that the kiss would bind him to this unconventional lady. Which is most unfortunate since someone seems to be on the hunt to destroying all that Connor holds dear – and an ill-timed melting of his heart does not bode well for survival for both him and Alexa.

Too Wicked To Wed seemed very promising in the beginning. Alexa had so much potential – country-bred, outspoken, determined, and altogether curious about things no genteel lady should ever think about – and I wanted to like her. I do like her, but I just didn’t love her to bits and pieces. I typically gauge a romance by how well I can feel the steam rising from the pages, especially during the out-of-bed moments. I look forward to the chase, the denials, the fights, the heartbreaks, the declaration of love. Alexa and Connor may have had those moments, but I found myself not invested in their relationship. Even when they nearly died at the end! Others may find that magical spark hidden within these pages, but for me, Too Wicked To Wed did not give me a decent cup of tea. ( )
  theepicrat | Dec 10, 2011 |
Too Wicked to Wed (Lords of Midnight) introduces us Alexa Hendrics, a smart, business savvy heiress. Alexa isn't looking for a husband, but she's drawn to the incorrigible Connor Lindsley (a.k.a. the Irish Wolfhound). It's clear to everyone around them that this can only bring heartbreak and scandal. Certainly, no one expects Lindsley to fall in love with the beautiful, naive heiress.

Alexa's in love with dangerous rake. But she doesn't resort to the usual feminine wiles. Instead, she approaches him and his problems with a straightforward, carefully thought out approach. And wins Connor's respect and love. The couple faces problems both large and small. Light, fun, and a romantic escape, Cara Elliott delivers once again! ( )
  gaby317 | Nov 21, 2011 |
4.5 Stars. The review that follows is a partial review. To read the full review, please visit:

When Lady Alexa Hendrie walks into one of London's infamous brothels, The Wolf's Lair, she had no

idea that she would be staking more than just her reputation by being seen in there. She might very well

be risking her heart...

Connor Linsley, the Earl of Killingworth, is the owner of The Wolf's Lair, though his identity is kept

secret from most people. Honestly, he couldn't give a fig about what the ton thinks of him, but despite

what they seem to think about his character he has not sunk nearly as low as they think; he still respects

some of their rules.... But when a lady with fire in her blood barges into his office, his usual biting

remarks and sarcastic barbs are stunned into silence (if only temporarily). Instead, he finds himself

thoroughly intrigued by Alexa, and when she asks for help in locating her brother, whom she believes to

be in his club somewhere, he agrees—but only if she agrees to his cost. The price? A kiss. But neither

one of them were prepared for the hot flames of desire to engulf both of them in it's snares after only a

taste....

....
~*~*~
This review is property of NightOwlRomance.com ( )
  The_Book_Queen | Nov 18, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446584576, Mass Market Paperback)

Outspoken and independent, Lady Alexa Bingham enjoys the heady freedom of making all her own decisions, even though the challenges of overseeing her family's country estate are daunting. But when a chance encounter with London's most notorious rake awakens a secret longing for adventure, she accepts her aunt's invitation for a Season in Town . . . only to find that breaking the rules of the ton has serious consequences.

The Earl of Killingworth uses his rakehell reputation to hide the fact that poverty has forced him to work for a living. As the owner of a gambling den and brothel, Connor has no time for glittering ballrooms or innocent young ladies. But after a reckless wager leaves him with a new business partner, he is forced to take a risky gamble . . . Will the cards fall in their favor? Alexa and Connor begin to play a dangerous game of intrigue and deception as they seek to outwit a cunning adversary who wants to put them permanently out of business. But if they are not careful, it is the flames of their own fiery attraction that may destroy them.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:20 -0400)

"Outspoken and independent, Lady Alexa Bingham enjoys the heady freedom of making all her own decisions, even though the challenges of overseeing her family's country estate are daunting. But when a chance encounter with London's most notorious rake awakens a secret longing for adventure, she accepts her aunt's invitation for a Season in Town...only to find that breaking the rules of the ton has serious consequences. The Earl of Killingworth uses his rakehell reputation to hide the fact that poverty has forced him to work for a living. As the owner of a gambling den and brothel, Connor has no time for glittering ballrooms or innocent young ladies. But after a reckless wager leaves him with a new business partner, he is forced to take a risky gamble. Will the cards fall in their favor? Alexa and Connor begin to play a dangerous game of intrigue and deception as they seek to outwit a cunning adversary who wants to put them permanently out of business. But if they are not careful, it is the flames of their own fiery attraction that may destroy them."--from publisher's description… (more)

2 avail.1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible