Gifts and Consequences by Daniel Coleman

Gifts and Consequences

by Daniel Coleman

What if some stranger promised you something you said you wished for? Would you fulfill your commitment? Or would you take it and run? This is the premise of an interesting and well-written story. The characters, especially Jonathan, are intriguing and invite you into the story.

But even more than the stories told, the book brings up the interesting question of just what would you do to secure a wish? What is your word worth?

Good read! ( )
  LMHTWB | Dec 1, 2012 |
I enjoyed the concept of Jonathan offering people the chance to make seemingly impossible dreams come true. I became invested in the characters and cheered when people successfully completed their tasks and received their gifts. Jonathan's firm belief in delivering consequences for failure showed his integrity was strong. I especially liked Oscar, his Batman impersonating Irish assistant. I was surprised by the tribute at the end, and it really shows how much difference one person can have in the lives of those around them, if only we are willing to invest in people. Good book with a strong message. ( )
  kkunker | Jul 13, 2012 |
What would you do to change your life? That is a cue for Jonathan Wheeler. He can make or break you, but it's your choice. Well written story had me laughing and crying throughout. What a nice way to spend an afternoon in the sun. ( )
  Scoshie | Apr 5, 2012 |
What will we do for something we really want? How often have we said or heard someone say "I'd do anything if ... "? In this novel, Jonathan Wheeler, a multi-billionaire, does just that. He and his team find people who have uttered similar words, and makes a decision whether or not they deserve a gift that will make their wishes come through... but the gifts come with a cost. The recipient of the gift needs to undertake a difficult task, in the full understanding that should they fail in the task, the consequences may be worse than the problem they originally faced.

Jonathan himself has a personal tragedy to bear, his wife suffers from Alzheimer's and is slowly starting to forget everything about her life and his. In a moment of lucidity though, she entrusts Jonathan with the task of helping others with the fortune he's built.

Will a boy take out the most unpopular girl to a dance if he's given tickets to a concert he desperately want to go to? What will happen if he doesn't? Will a man agree to work as a grave digger for a year at a cemetery where his daughter was buried in exchange for his other daughter's college tuition? Will a man walk across the country in order that his wife receives expensive radical treatment?

Jonathan's unconventional methods at times put his gift recipients in dangerous situation, but he believes that there is a hidden strength in everyone.

Some of the stories inspire, even Jonathan, and some disappoint. But is he really bestowing gifts to these people or is he playing God with them? Are gifts truly gifts if they are tied to consequences for tasks unfulfilled, or are they merely rewards?

Definitely one worth reading. ( )
  cameling | Mar 4, 2012 |
Have you ever wished there was someone to help you in a dire moment of need?

Daniel Coleman has provided us with Jonathan who gives people "gifts" with consequences attached if they don't fulfill their commitment. These "gifts" range from paying for someone to lose weight to helping to pay for medical care for someone's wife who would die without it. He has a team of people that help him monitor the progress of these recipients and a good reason behind his generosity. After reading this, I felt inspired to live life to the fullest ( )
  SweetReaderMA | Oct 16, 2011 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Daniel Coleman's book Gifts and Consequences was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Daniel Coleman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,464,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible