The Executioner by Chris Carter

The Executioner (2010)

by Chris Carter

English (8)  German (3)  All languages (11)
Chris Carter has become my new favorite serial killer author. In this book, our next serial killer is seeking revenge, making his victims die by the way they fear the most. He also does not do this kindly, instead he makes them face their fears and suffer tremendously while they die. Once again, lots of actions, twists and some really amazing crime scenes. Carter is a very creative author writing some of the creepiest and scariest books I have ever read. I can't wait for the next one. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Apr 26, 2018 |
In the second book of the Robert Hunter series, Hunter and his partner, Carlos Garcia, are faced with capturing one of the most vicious serial killers they have ever come across. Be warned, the crime scenes are very gruesome and should be read only by someone with a strong stomach. The Executioner is killing people who don't seem to have anything in common and he's doing it in ways that match each of the victim's biggest fear. Each victim is marked with a number drawn in blood so it's up to Hunter and Garcia to find out who the remaining victims are before the Executioner gets to them.

This is a fantastic novel. Robert Hunter is a very smart, very realistic character. His partnership with Garcia is well-written but I hope in the future books, Carlos takes some of the lead instead of always being the follower. The secondary characters were very well done and the ending is never telegraphed along the way. The chapters are all short and designed to keep you reading. You can tell the author was a criminal psychologist before he switched careers. His ability to get into the mind of the killer and his motive was exceptional. I don't normally give five star ratings to a graphic serial killer novels but I feel like The Executioner more than met the five star bar. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
The Executioner is the 2nd book in the Robert Hunter series by Chris Carter. As with the first book, The Crucifix Killer, the murders are described in detail with none of the brutality and gore held back. Consequently, this book is definitely not for the faint of heart or those who are a bit squeamish.

The book opens with the first murder – a priest has been killed and is discovered on the blood-soaked altar steps inside his church. There are ritualistic undertones with designs in the blood as well as the fact that the priest’s head has been replaced with that of a dog’s. (see what I mean about gory?). But, this is only the first of several murders – all different, but all equally savage and disturbing.

The book was well-written and a good read. The story had very good pacing which kept you turning the pages. The main characters, Detectives Hunter and Garcia are likable, interesting and good at their jobs. Despite the heavy storyline, there is also a good bit of humor that often made me chuckle. I will definitely continue with the series.

4 Stars ( )
  bhabeck | May 12, 2017 |
If you don't mind gritty books, this is an excellent crime series. A good group of characters has been pulled together, and a very interesting main character in Robert Hunter. The author also gets the reader fully involved in the story by leaving plenty of clues. Originally I thought I had the killer identified but towards the end I realised it wasn't him but the clues were all out there. I thoroughly recommend this series. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Apr 15, 2017 |
Even though Chris Carter's Robert Hunter series is somewhat crude and violent, I still could not give this book less than 5 stars. His writing and imagination is so fabulous and holds your interest throughout the entire book. His characters are fascinating and very colorful. The plot was very unique and adds to the suspense. Lots of twists and turns and a very surprising ending. I am now in need of a Chris Carter fix and cannot wait to read the third installment. I would highly recommend this series but must leave a warning: Very descriptive sex, language and violence. Not for the squeamish! ( )
  EadieB | Apr 14, 2017 |
A Samantha Johnson, sempre

Inside a Los Angeles church, on the altar steps, lies the blood-soaked, decapitated body of a priest. Carefully positioned, legs stretched out, arms crossed over the chest, the most horrifying thing of all is that the priest's head has been replaced by that of a dog.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,964,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible