Irises by Francisco X. Stork

Info:Arthur A. Levine Books (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:TBR, young adult, contemporary

Irises by Francisco X. Stork

This is a wonderful story about family and growing up. It was hard to read because of my own upbringing, a strict household with a religious parent, but only because my family was well adapting. I knew why Kate and Mary's dad was so hard on them but they didn't because he never got a chance to explain like mine did.
What made this story worth the struggle to read was the growing relationship between the two sisters. Kate being the oldest and bearing the brunt of her father's loving but overbearing nature was the more selfish of the two. She dreamed of going to Stanford because her mom made her promise she would go there. At one point Kate also promised to take care of her family no matter but somehow made a lot of choices that weren't the best for them. She struggles with how to take care of her sister and continue pursuing her dreams and by the end the conclusion was so satisfying.
I didn't like Kate's romance at all. Her doormat of a boyfriend Simon was a sad fellow who probably should've taken a hint long before he proposed that she wasn't as into him as he thought. Alex was an ambitious ass who screamed creeper to me. I cast him as this hot preacher dude that a girl could fantasize about and go to hell for but he was unacceptable to my eyes for her thank god Kate came to the same conclusion
Mary on the other hand had a sweet growing up arc that made me smile. And Marcos was such a cutie pie I wanted to squish them together and throw paper heart confetti in the air
Great story for the family aspect but don't hold your breath for an epic romance. ( )
  Jessika.C | Sep 28, 2016 |
Disappointing, after Marcelo in the Real World (will probably give it to Good Will) ( )
  DavidO1103 | Jun 9, 2013 |
Very thorough exploration of family, trust, honesty and end-of-life choices. Probably the first book I've read that deeply explores the differences between dying when in a persistent vegetative state and dying from a terminal condition. Surprisingly, this book is not a "downer". The relationship between two sisters slowly and beautifully develops under Stork's skillful pen. ( )
  nandrews | Apr 4, 2013 |
A touching story about two sisters facing family tragedy together. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Mary and Kate's father dies and their mother is in a vegatative state. This is about their lives and how they have to cope with this. I liked the book pretty much although it was a bit too religious for me. The writing style reminded me of a novel from the 1950's or 1960's ( )
  TheMadHatters | Feb 11, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 054515135X, Hardcover)

Two sisters discover what's truly worth living for in the new novel by the author of MARCELO IN THE REAL WORLD.

TWO SISTERS: Kate is bound for Stanford and an M.D. -- if her family will let her go. Mary wants only to stay home and paint. When their loving but repressive father dies, they must figure out how to support themselves and their mother, who is in a permanent vegetative state, and how to get along in all their uneasy sisterhood.

THREE YOUNG MEN: Then three men sway their lives: Kate's boyfriend Simon offers to marry her, providing much-needed stability. Mary is drawn to Marcos, though she fears his violent past. And Andy tempts Kate with more than romance, recognizing her ambition because it matches his own.

ONE AGONIZING CHOICE: Kate and Mary each find new possibilities and darknesses in their sudden freedom. But it's Mama's life that might divide them for good -- the question of *if* she lives, and what's worth living for.

IRISES is Francisco X. Stork's most provocative and courageous novel yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:56 -0400)

Kate, eighteen, and Mary, sixteen, must make some adult decisions about the course their lives should take when their loving but old-fashioned father dies suddenly, leaving them with their mother, who has been in a persistant vegetative state since an accident four years earlier.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,437,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible