No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Recently added byprivate library, amberkaye81, mamelotti, HantsLearningNetwork, booksnmusic, RCW, Inessova

Wow. So I was a bonehead and had requested the later books in this series without having read this one. So, when this one popped up as 31 cents on Kindle, I jumped right on that.

To give you a bit of perspective... This was about 400 pages, I finished this in less than 24 hours. I cannot believe I did that, but I also couldn't put this book down no matter how hard I tried. I stayed up until 4 in the morning reading. Then I read when I should have been doing, um, other things. Granted, it is Bout of Books week, and I have a goal in mind for a number of pages to finish this week, but I am certain the result would have been the same regardless of what time it was.

Echo and Noah's stories are both heartbreaking and awe-inspiring. The amount of heartbreak in this book brought tears to my eyes on so many occasions, I have no idea how I have tissues left in my house.

The character development in this story was spot on, and I could imagine being a part of the story, sitting down and having coffee with the characters and being a part of their lives. I could imagine living through the experiences, both the beautiful and the horrifying. It felt so real to me, I imagine the story and the characters and the events will disturb my sleep for at least a night or two.

Want to know what happens and how the story ends? Get the book. Seriously, you really need to read this one. I don't care who you are, this book is a must read for everyone. There is a bit of language, but the story wouldn't have worked without it. It needed to be there. I don't say things like that often, but in this case, it's true.

Read the book, then come back and tell me what you think. I love hearing from people about stuff I have read. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Katie McGarry has done an extraordinary job creating a riveting journey for her readers with the story of Echo and Noah. I found myself gripping the edge of my seat while reading this book. Both Echo & Noah have extremely heart wrenching pasts, which, allows the reader to explore the hardships both characters have had to face throughout their lives. McGarry takes the reader on an emotional rollercoaster as we experience the thrilling highs and devastating lows Echo and Noah must face if they wish to be together and overcome the odds. I would highly recommend this novel to anyone who loves a good emotional journey, within an amazing romantic novel.
  ReviewsbyPaige | Feb 23, 2015 |
Both Noah and Echo carry a great burden. Echo is trying to remember and Noah is trying to forget. Echo suffers from amnesia after an event that left her physically scarred. No one will tell her what happened for fear that she will suffer from a psychotic break. She feels alone in a house filled with the ghost of her dead brother, the shadow of her manic depressive mother, the pressure of her controlling father and the irritation of her former nanny turned new stepmother. Echo wants to remember what happened to her. She wants control over her own life. But mostly, she wants someone to love her most and put her first.

Enter Noah, a senior that cuts class, smokes, gets high and spends his free time with a less than savory crowd. What people don't know is that before a fire killed his parents in his sophomore year he was just like them, a basketball star with great prospects. Now he is in the foster care system that has failed him. So, he works to earn money. He is determined to graduate high school, get an apartment and a job so that he can get custody of his two younger brothers. He is steadfast in his mission that his brothers will not undergo the pain he had at the hands of inept foster parents.

Can Echo and Noah give each what they really need? Or will their time together just destroy what little sanity each has left?

McGarry writes a wonderful romance that shows that their is strength in surviving tragedy. Her characters have depth and learn about themselves even when it seems like the world is pushing them away. A fabulous read. ( )
  literaryperuser | Jan 29, 2015 |
This is the story of Echo, a high school senior whose life took a drastic turn 2 years ago. She may have blocked out the memories of that night, but they still affect her greatly. When she begins tutoring Noah, the bad-boy stoner with the leather jacket, she can't imagine ever "being" with him. They come from two different circles, after all. But, as time goes on, the pull they feel toward one another only increases. There's much more to this book: Echo working through her repressed memories, Noah working to get custody of his brothers, how these things affect their relationship with one another. I was completely engrossed in the story, reading it in less than a 24-hour period. I liked the main characters, as well as the side characters. There was a believability to it all. And the fact that all the storylines were wrapped up in ways that I fully approved of was an added bonus. :) I highly recommend this book to fans of Young Adult Romance (and it's only 31 cents for Kindle right now)! ( )
  Dawn94 | Dec 20, 2014 |
I never went to bed last night and I just slept for an hour or two this morning but ever since I woke up I was avoiding this moment.
I simply can't do that any longer but I have no idea how to start describing the raw emotions that racked my heart and soul while I was reading the book. I know that these are strong words but if you don't get it then you haven't read the book. This morning after my tears dried up I was trying to sum up something that will make you guys understand how much I loved this book but I'll just improvise now...
If I had to describe the book in a few words they would probably be real, believable, easy to relate to, emotional, heartbreaking! It made me smile, it made me cry and it settled in my heart as my favorite book so far. Definitely the most meaningful book I've read in a while!
It's really and unbelievable read. The way Ketie McGarry has described her characters, the world she's build around Echo Emerson and Noah Hutchins, that it was so easy to slip into their lives and experience everything right along with them (and when I say everything I mean it, the love, the heart-wrecking pain, the anger...).
The two main characters, were so different from each other at the time they met. Before their lives fell apart they were pretty similar but right now they are both living and their own personal hell, going trough it day by day. They were wrong for each other but the connection between them was so strong, due to the fact that they felt that pain I mentioned earlier. The both new loss and the were there for each other liken no one else could be for them.
Echo was the girl everyone new about, everyone talked about, everyone wanted her life and then she lost everything she cared about in just a few months. Her life changed inevitably after her brother's death and the horrible accident she can't remember.
Now her life consists of having very little sleep, doing what her father wants her to do, pretend she's normal at school and hiding her scars from the rest of the world. Simple, but that routine changed very quickly when the gorgeous, incredibly sexy and completely off limits, Noah Hutchins walked into her life teasing and trying to rattle her cage. That's when everything changed again for her, maybe this time for the better...
When you look at Noah, you see the sexy body, you see him as a stunner, a guy who uses girls for sex and that's all. But deep inside he is scarred just as Echo is on the outside. His fate was to lose his parents in a fire and his brothers to the foster system. A system he hated and fight with everyday. His one goal in life is to save money, find a semi-good job and take custody of his brothers. He can't stand the fact that he can't see them and he is hurting but by the way he acted with everyone you wouldn't be able to understand his pain. Only Echo did, she was the only one besides his friends that managed to break through the wall around his heart and she stole it away with her siren smile and guarded actions.

What I loved most about the book was the sincerity of the characters. Noah had a f****d up life and swearing was his a constant part of him. He rebelled and he messed up and he was far from perfect but he was real.
I particularly love one of his lines and here it is:
"It had been so long since I'd let myself fall for someone. I gazed into her beautiful green eyes and her fear melted. A shy smile tugged at her lips and at my heart. Fuck me and the rest of the world. I was in love."

I don't know what is it about bad guys that makes them so appealing. There is something amazing in each of them. In the end they turned out to have the biggest. kindest hearts and maybe that's because they've already been trough hell and the tough demeanor was his way of coping. But they always doubt themselves when it comes to being with the good girls and they always try so hard to prove that they're worthy. That makes them so sweet and gentle and pretty much every girl's dream. They don't even see the goodness inside themselves. Noah was just like that, trying, having doubt, expecting that Echo will snap out of her momentary daze and she'll leave. Little did he know, how much she loved him.
Everything in Noah made me smile from how good he is with Echo, and his brothers, to his love for Beth and Isaiah, to his tattoo as a tribute to his family(oh that tattoo alone made me cry).
And here's the quote that broke my heart:
"I want my mom and dad," I couldn't suck in air. "I just want my family back."

It really is impossible for me to describe just how I feel about this book. It was the best book I've read in a while, so full of love and heart-wrecking pain. It was an emotional roller-coaster and constant struggle but the characters fought their battle and survived! I loved every single second of it! ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!
added by SBBCreviews | editSBBCreviws (Jul 30, 2012)

"My father is a control freak, I hate my stepmother, my brother is dead and my mother has... well ... issues. How do you think I'm doing?" That's how I would have loved to respond to Mrs. Collins' question, but my father placed too much importance on appearance for me to answer honestly. Instead, I blinked three times and said, "Fine."

Rendered a subject of gossip after a traumatic night that left her with terrible scars on her arms, Echo is dumped by her boyfriend and bonds with bad-boy Noah, whose tough attitude hides an understanding nature and difficult secrets.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,884,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible