Let Sleeping Dogs Lie by John R. Erickson

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

by John R. Erickson

Other authors: Gerald L. Holmes (Illustrator)

Series: Hank the Cowdog (6)

Hank is trying to solve the murders of two pullets on his ranch and, as usual, messes up words and clues. He does finally solve the crime, only the answer doesn't bring him the satisfaction he expected. As usual, I loved the sound effects (especially that rocket-like zoom when Hank is running), and the old music used for the background. This time I noticed 'I've Been Working on the Railroad' along with 'Turkey in the Straw' and 'Red River Valley'.

Thanks to an attempt to show off for the beautiful Beulah, Hank takes a tumble. This leads to a brief reunion with Ralph, the basset hound who lives in a dogpound, from It's a Dog's Life. Ralph, who will later be known as 'Dogpound Ralph' gets to have Hank keep telling him his name is 'Clyde'. (Not even close, Hank!)

Later, Hank finds himself in grave trouble -- so grave that the buzzards expect to eat him for breakfast. Fortunately, Hank is given a chance to save the day and comes through.

My favorite part was the scene with the mailman. I know the tune used for 'Bark at the Mailman Battle Hymn,' but I just can't remember its name. It's a rousing song, though. As for 'I'm Locked in the Jailhouse With Buzzards on the Roof,' with its use of the old 'dun dun dun dun DUN dun dun dun dun dun dun funeral notes used in cartoons as part of its tune, I was tickled.

Great family fun! ( )
  JalenV | Apr 8, 2014 |
This book offers another bit of a change from previous Hank the Cowdog books in its pacing, storyline, and characters. The one thing I found a little off-putting about it was that the major "case" in the book was solved, but not really resolved. Still, the way the book ended in itself made this an interesting twist. I also appreciated that an incidental character from the third book in the series was brought back this time, and the coyotes were absent; I was getting tired of hearing the same old references to them and their theme song in every story. This book is just different enough from the others to make it worth a peek by anyone whose appetite has been whetted by earlier books in the series. ( )
  quaintlittlehead | Jul 24, 2008 |

John R. Ericksonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holmes, Gerald L.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A chicken killer is loose on the ranch. In this story, Loper has laid down the law to Hank and Drover: the chicken killing must stop or else. (Gulp.) It's up to the Head of Ranch Security to interrogate every possible suspect, even old friends. Could Drover be the terrible chicken killer?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:51 -0400)

Hank the Cowdog, Head of Ranch Security, pursues an elusive chicken murderer.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible