Wisdom's Daughters: Conversations With Women…

Wisdom's Daughters: Conversations With Women Elders of Native America (1993)

by Steve Wall

81None148,805 (4)1

No reviews

Steve Wallprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arden, HarveyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We give thanks to Mother Earth because she still fulfills her original instructions, providing for the health and welfare of the people and other life forms in the world.
So right up to this time Mother Earth never failed us. And so we continue to be thankful to her.
Then, in the nighttime we see, sometimes, our grandmother, the Moon. She, also, is given a duty to regulate the cycles of the female life forms all over the world. Also, she directs all the waters in their movement.
And she has never neglected this duty. And so we are especially thankful to our grandmother, the Moon, for working with the female cycle of the earth.
--[Excerpt from the Hotinonshonni Thanksgiving Address, recited by Tekaronianekon (Two Skies Together), Mohawk Nation]
The women emerging are the hearts of the nations.
Megisi, Turtle Mountain Ojibway Nation
To B.J. She taught me the meaning of love.
In the beginning were the Instructions.
(Preface): I am a journeyer, a crosser of boundaries.
(Foreward): The Time of the Woman: "I know what you're doing.

This is the first book in which spiritual leaders among Native American women portray in their own words their ancestral knowledge, philosophies, and traditions. Steve Wall traveled across North America, visiting the Mohawk and the Hoh, the Chumash and the Seminole, the Tewa and the Ojibway, the Oneida and the Seneca, the Cowichan and the Northern Cheyenne. He talked at length with the women elders and their families as well as with the members of their nations. And he photographed them as he did for his previous book, Wisdomkeepers. Completely open and direct, the elders talk about their role as owners of the moon, as carriers of life and protectors of the life force, about the sacredness of menstruation, and about children, medicine, men, sex, and ceremony. There is an urgency to their words because, according to the ancient prophecies, "This is the time of the women." These daughters of wisdom speak for the first time in print of the necessity for unity and harmony with Mother Earth and all living things, and of their sense that for humankind and the earth time is running out. Wisdom's Daughters allows the reader to experience the daily transforming events of these women's lives in their homes and among their people.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:15 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,213,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible