Darkness Falling by Peter Crowther

Darkness Falling

by Peter Crowther

When I'm having to force myself to the end of a book, I know something's not working for me. And this should have worked for me, it has all the ingredients of a book I'll like. Instead it read like a cut-rate Stephen King (and I like King) with the flow of its internal dialogue, and random shit and fart jokes that go on a little too long.

I spent the first two thirds of the book feeling like it was all set-up, and the last third wondering what the hell was going on as the Heroes Assembled, and there as no payoff for me at the end because it turned out to all be setup for the as-yet-unpublished second book in the series. Everything took too long, and with a couple of exceptions, I never got a solid sense of character: every time I saw a new name I had to try to figure out who the hell that was again, and the reactions to this abrupt change in reality never come across as at all realistic. It was also lacking a strong sense of place; the generic 'American' setting was peppered with moments of British idiom that kept making me question if I was even remembering the setting right.

The worst part for me was that I could tell it was something that, if done a little differently, I would like a whole lot. I'm still wanting it to be that book. ( )
  rrainer | Sep 20, 2013 |
I just couldn't keep going. At a hundred pages in, nothing was happening. I liked the selection of characters - a woman with multiple personalities, a serial killer, a six-year-old who can see the future - I just can't deal with the complete lack of plot. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 30, 2013 |
The Langoliers meets Invasion of the Zombie Body Snatchers.

Or a few people left around after a strange electromagnetic incident find out that the fellow that all wear shades and gloves are out to get them. And something is in their heads.

http://freesf.strandedinoz.com/wordpress/2012/01/darkness-falling-peter-crowther... ( )
  BlueTysonSS | Jan 29, 2012 |
I wanted to like this book and the idea of it is interesting but this book really bothered me on so many different levels.For one, I did not really care for the writing style. It just isn't something that I normally go for. Anytime a action scene pops up where a lot of different noises are happening around the characters, the writing changes to literally add the noise to the paragraph. I did not care for that.I'm also not sure what some of the story lines within the over all plot are doing there. It just doesn't seem like some of those stories relate in any way to the over all story of most of the population disappearing only to return later as a strange 'alien' race that makes flying cars and is determined to destroy what is left of the human race.Also, why must everyone in this book, well what is left of the human race, hear voices? Why do some of them just 'know' what is going to happen? It's all a very strange story line. One that really did not interest me. ( )
  highflyer | Jan 3, 2012 |
  highflyer | Jan 3, 2012 |

First, the flash. A glare of light, just before dawn, followed by utter darkness. A vast blanketing nothingness that covered the whole Earth.

Then, the disappearances. Friends and strangers alike, swallowed by the darkness… and then returned, altered, changed.

For the people of Jesman's Bend, it feels like the end of the world. But this is only the very start.

File Under: Science Fiction [Zombie Apocalypse | Bodysnatchers | They Return ]

e-book ISBN: 9780857661708

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:20 -0400)

When four employees of KMRT Radio investigate an unearthly light that cuts off communication with the outside world, they discover that something has taken the place of their friends and fellow townfolk, and imbued them with malign intentions. Little do they know, the phenomenon is not unique to the town of Jesman's Bend.… (more)

8 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,742,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible